The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anything in Austin to see, do or hear?
Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 7:54 am    

I will be in Austin TX for Damn near the whole month of September. Would like to get out and see the area, bands and motorcycles.

Anyone have some suggestions? I have put this in the NON PEDAL section hoping some of my buddies may be playing close to this area, and can hook me up with some good entertainment.

Joe E

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 9:15 am    

Email Herb Steiner!

miss lucille

austin, tx usa
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 10:37 am    

Hi Joe,

Herb Steiner would definetly be a good start.
I know of some shows too see around here as well. Herb is playing with the Cornell Hurd Band, I cant remember witch night, but I am sure he will tell you. Bands to look out for that play reg. that you might enjoy are:
Roger Wallace, Don Walser,Cornell Hurd, Terri Joyce, Bellfuries, T.Jarrod Bonta, The Lulles or Lowells, and so much more. I cant think of all at this time.

Herb will probally fill you in. You can find the dates and times they play in our weekly entertaiment guide "The Chronicle".

As far as riding, my boyfried and a lot of our good friends have Harley's and ride a lot! You can e-mail me for more info. on that as well. Best of Luck-
Lacy Michel

miss lucille

austin, tx usa
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 10:39 am    

Oh my e-mail address is
lucymichel@hotmail.com

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 1:31 pm    

Check out www.austin360.com for club listings etc.

-Bill

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 8:08 pm    

Hey Joe I will be playing with Dale Watson that whole month and check his schedule out on his website> http://www.dalewatson.realcountry.net/9/gigs.asp?cid=4
It will be great to meet ya and looks like there is alot of Austin dates to choose from with the Dale Watson outfit.
See ya there.

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
www.mightyfinemusic.com
sshawaiian@aol.com

Steve B

Garland Texas
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 9:10 pm    

Joe, my band Eleven Hundred Springs ( www.1100springs.com ) will be in Austin Sep 8th @ Antones, Sept 13 @ the Broken Spoke, Sept 16 @ Stubbs, & Sept 9th in Bandera (not too far from Austin) at The Caberat.

Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2000 7:39 am    

Hey Steve B, are you guys bringing your steel player this time, I saw you at the Spoke a couple of months ago, but you had no steel or fiddle? I've heard some reall good things about you guys from ssome people here.

Joe, you need to check out Cornell with Herb at Jovita's every thursday, and Don Walser on Tuesday at the same gig, and, of course, Dale Watson. Some of the newer bands playing around town kind of suck IMHO, too much style and not enough substance. There seems to be a trend to care more about the retro clothes than the music.
Having said that there is still some fine stuff. Keep a look out at Artz Rib House on the first Sunday to see if Bert Rivera is playing, he is the bees knees. the Spoke usually has good stuff on a couple of weekends a month. Heck, maybe someone will employ me sometime in September.

Steve B

Garland Texas
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 12:44 pm    

Steve E, Thats cool that you made it out to the Broken Spoke last time. My goal has been to move into the steel position myself. I have been working on my D10-MCI for almost a year, but my skills on steel are not up to the job. The reason that Jason (our fiddle player) dosen't make it out to shows outside the DFW area is the classic job, wife, kid thing. We have had several different pedal & non-pedal players play with us, but it is really hard to find somebody that actually wants to be in a band full time. Well, if you or anyone else can make it out to the Broken Spoke again, see you there.

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 9:31 am    

Thanks guys and Gals, I will print this out and take it with me. As soon as I have my itinerary of where I will be, I will post it. Would love to meet you folks.

Ps. Can't take my Harley with me on this trip but hope to see some there.

Unfortunaty this trip does not include me playing, but I hope to hear some great music.