The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  limitations of C6th?
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 6:05 am    

I play 8-string C6 (ACEGACEG), but I don't really play hawaiian or swing (dabble in it now and then but haven't pursued it enough to be good at it). I play mainly pop/rock. I love the C6th tuning, having all the chord inversions and full major & minor triads with the bar straight. It's also great for single note runs.

One problem. Playing rock with a distorted tone, I feel that every now and then I need to rake the thumb picks across the strings and get a big, dirty chord. Having to skip strings prevents that style of playing. I play some bottle neck style (sort of) in open A to get that effect, but then I'm missing the full minors (not to mention that whole step interval of G to A, which is the problem I'm talking about with big chords...how ironic!). Is there some sort of middle ground that allows both? Seems impossible to have both.

Also, rhythm parts with finger picks...doesn't have as powerful an effect as racking a pick across the strings. Do we just have to leave the crunchy rhythm playing to the other elec guitartists? What if there is no other guitarist? Is this a problem for anyone else?

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 6:38 am    

Chris,

Buddy Emmons uses his left thumb to mute strings he does not want to ring when he strums with his right hand on C6.

Try it. May warp you for a while, but also may help your dilemma.

Jerry Byrd once said, "The steel guitar is NOT a rhythm instrument. You can even tune it to the same notes as a regular guitar and when strummed, it still does not sound the same." Keep this in mind.

God bless you in whatever you do,

carl

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 8:41 am    

Another thought/question:

Sometimes the C6th tuning doesn't sound deep enough. David Lindley (love his stuff with Jacson Browne!)gets some deep tones. I think he plays in A or E.

Is the A6 tuning (I assume it's F#AC#EF#AC#E) rooted lower than the C6 tuning, or is it higher?

Carl--Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try that thumb technique. Jerry Byrd says steel is not a rhythm instrument...do you really think he's a credible source? !!

[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 08 August 2000 at 09:44 AM.]

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 9:07 am    

Email Neil Flanz. He truly pioneered that sound in the 1960's-70's. That live CD of Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels really shows the things that Neil invented for R & R. I think that this is what you a looking for.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 10:08 am    

Your dilema may be solved by going to a double or triple neck, multi tuning, axe.

Steve Honum

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 10:15 am    

Chris, I play 8 string A6 with a g on the bottom string to get a 7th. I guess this is A13 similar to the Junior Brown C6 tuning. The A6 is pitched lower than C6 and I feel has a better feel and tone. I retuned to C6 when I got the Cindy Cashdollar video on Homespun Tapes but immediately went back to my A6 tuning. The C6 just seemed to high to me(though I know it's one of the most popular steel tunings) especially with the high G on the top string. I once read an interview with Herb Remington saying he prefered A6 and it was popular with the western players.
Hare Mae, Steve H.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 10:41 am    

If you're playing mostly pop/rock, and want a tuning that works as a strum tuning, try one of the forms of E13, especially Leon McAlliffe's version (E G# D F# G# B C# E). This tuning works great in many types of popular music such as blues, that has a lot of dominant 7th / 9th chords, which are lacking in the C6 tuning. With this tuning, you have a full 8-string strum with a bluesy ninth chord on the bottom, and the top four strings play pretty much like a 6th tuning. Maybe not the best tuning for a lot of single note playing, but great for blues and rock, especially for chord solo stuff.

Sounds like you're ready for more than one neck.

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 8:03 pm    

Hey Chris -- I have been playing for only a couple of months (have played guitar for 25 years), and I started out on the C6 tuning, but now I'm playing the hybrid C6/A7 It's tuned (low to high):

A - C# - E - G - A - C - E - G

The great thing about his tuning is that you have a great dominant chord on the bottom 5 strings. I've used this tuning to play "Mercury Blues" (the Lindley version-NOT that new country one), and you can get a really nice crunch. I've played Rock 'n Roll for a long time, and as you know, E and A are probably the two most played chords in rock.

I suggest you try this tuning. No, you can't strum across ALL of the strings, but you basically get a nice, FAT guitar like dominant power chord on the bottom five!

Hope this helps you. I started out on a Fender Champ lap steel (6-string), and now use a double-8 Fender Stringmaster. I have the top neck tuned in an E13, and the lower one in the C6. I've never had more fun!

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
www.franchise-yourself.com
Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E11, C6/A7)

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 4:50 am    

Thanks all, for the responses. I'm gonna have to print this up so I can show my lady that I do need another guitar!!

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 7:07 am    

Jerry- thanks for the suggestion of McAuliffe's E13 tuning (although it took me a little while to figure out that you list the strings low to high). I had some studio work to finish up last night and on a lark put my middle neck to that tuning and had a ball with it. Very "out" stuff.

You need to be careful to avoid the 9th and 7th when you don't wnat them, but when you want to play a dominant chord it is way cool.