The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gig available with Hank Williams
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 12:21 pm    

Hank Williams III that is!

The Sept 2000 issue of Guitar Player magazine has an article about Hank III, son of Hank Jr. Hank, besides fronting a punk band, has a group that does Hank Sr-type stuff (there's an album out too but I haven't heard it).

Anyway, at the end of the article, Hank III
says something to the effect of "I love the sound of the stand-up steel. I'm looking for someone that can play like Speedy West or Jerry Byrd. If you're out there, let me know!"

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2000 7:51 am    

Heard Hank III interviewed on "Morning Edition" on NPR a couple Saturdays ago. They played a bunch of cuts from his new CD, and what I heard sounded pretty good. Don't expect a Hank Sr. clone. They say he's a dead ringer for his grandpa, but he doesn't want to be a Grandpa Hank tribute band.

I think Hank III sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders, and will have a very good career. My 2 cents, anyway!

Take care.
TJW

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 7:55 am    

Hank Williams Jr. II or Hank Williams III...either way, he seems to have alot of soul and an artistic, non-commercial
'tude! Kind of a Cow-Punk thing. Looks pretty promising......

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2000 7:34 pm    

Hank's clearly not everyone's taste but I think he's great. His heart's in his music and he doesn't mind letting his many rough edges show. He may be a bit too real (and certainly too punk) for most of today's listeners but, if there's any justice, he'll have a good shot!

Roper81

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 2:15 pm    

I saw him play in Corpus Christi awhile back. He was awsome. He played Real Country music and had some really great players with him. he played country until 11:00 and told the crowd that he appreciated everybody coming out but if they didnt like LOUD music, hollering, mosh pits and alot of cussing he would suggest they leave. He then proceeded to play some real heavy thrash punk. Some older people stayed around for a little bit but soon started to trickle out. I had alot of fun, it is not every day you get to see people with mohawks tattoos and noserings two stepping and wearing cowboy hats.