The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelin the Blues
Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 4:48 pm    

I going to take a crack at "Steelin the Blues". Before I start, does anyone know of a TAB for this?
Also, what tuning it's in?
Thanks.

Doug Smith

Medway, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 5:27 pm    

Steelin The Blues is in C6. Jerry Byrd has it in his catalog of tabs.

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 7:56 pm    

I was thinking it was in some weird tuning cause it was in Db, but once it tried in on C6th, it fell right into place. The hammer-ons (or whatever you call them on steel) with the open strings should have given me a clue!
I would like to check out the tab and see how close I got. Thanks, I'll check out his site.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 1:38 pm    

Rich,

There are several different versions of JB doing his first ever recording using the subject tune.

He does it one way on the album titled "Steel Guitar Favorites" by JB. This is like the original single he cut with Rex Allen in the 40's, doing some "back up" singing on it.

Later he did it a bit differently on "HI FI Guitar". Much smoother and mellower.

I do not know which version (if either) he tabbed. But I am sure it will be close in any case.

One thing that is very difficult to master on this tune, is the use of the tone control to achieve his famous signature lick.

The "Boo-wah" sound was done by him moving his fingers to the tone control very fast after picking the first notes (strings 1, 2 and 3), at the the 3rd fret and then moving that tone control from minimum to maximum at each and every fret for that long run he does.

Of course NO one on earth can get it just exactly like he did, but some come pretty close.

There is a man in the Atlanta area named Garland Nash who comes the closest of any player I have ever heard to getting it. In fact if you close your eyes when Garland plays, you will think it IS Jerry often.

Wish you much luck in learning this classic tune by the master Jerry Byrd.

He is second ONLY to Buddy Emmons on our beautiful PSG.

God bless you,

carl

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 6:36 am    

Hi Guys and Dolls,

"Steelin' the Blues," is a great tune. I always dug it. Realizing this is non-pedal territory, I still have too also suggest for those who haven't heard other steel players great versions too. Besides Jerry's versions those would include others by Jimmy Day, Kayton Roberts, Curly Chalker, Bill Stafford.
Don't shoot me, but these guys all dug Jerry and his steel playing too. Besides, I don't think Jerry would mind my mentioning their cuts of his classic tune too.

One other side note regarding his song. Someplace I have a recording of Jerry's "Steelin' The Blues," with vocals on it. It's real hoot if you ain't ever heard that cut.

God Bless,

Terry J. Wood

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 7:17 am    

Terry,

When Jerry Byrd made his very first recording, it was of course "Drowsy Waters", on the reverse side was "Steelin the Blues".

The Producer of the recording session (whose name eludes me right now), felt that it would be better if there was some vocal on at least one of the instrumentals for marketing purposes.

It just so happened that Rex Allen was near by. The Producer asked Rex. He graciously accepted.

Right there and then someone (possibly that producer), wrote the words to "Steelin the Blues", and Rex sang the back up to it on the recording. The rest is history. Not only did it begin JB's great rise to fame. But also endeared Jerry to Rex and many beautiful recordings were done with Rex and JB after that.

Rex Allen always said he loved Jerry's playing the best of all.

God bless the late Rex Allen and of course the master of touch and tone, Jerry Byrd,

carl

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 1:59 pm    

C Dixon,

Cool! I always wondered who was doing the vocals, Jery, Red Foley or other. Now that you stated Rex Allen Sr., yeah I can tell the vocals was by a great singer. It is a great cut. I always liked what Jimmy Day and Chalker done with the tune too! Thanks!

T.J. Wood