The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Electro parts
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 5:25 am    

Hi,
Just back from the Summer School week on Cape Clear Island. We had a great time.
I found when I got home that I had won the auction for this baby :- http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=ps&item=377406753

Now, where do I get the CORRECT selector switch and replacement machine heads from ?
BTW Was the price I paid OK ?

Baz

------------------

Basil Henriques
Emmons D-10
and
Emmons D-10

Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~basilh/

http://www.stax-a-trax.com/

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 5:47 am    

I was watching that one--I saw your name there. If this otherwise works ok, good pots and most important, good pickups, I think you've got a real honey. But if restoration to original condition is important to you then you've got your work cut out for you. You should be able to get tuner buttons that will work ok, and I'm wondering if a Tele switch might not do for the 3-way selector. But authentic parts? Folks here who have tried to find stuff for single neck Ricks have had a slow-go of it. Multiply that x2.
If this guitar plays well, then congratulations! Sounds like a pretty good price to me.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 6:13 am    

Most seem to replace the tuning machines with KLUSON Deluxe's.
I have never seen a Rick with original working tuning machines, so I couldn't even make a statement as to what brand or type they used. It must have been cheap stuff, as none seem to have survived.
Guitar shows are a good (but expensive) hunting ground for parts like these. But then, it won't be easy to find 8-string sets... two of them

------------------
jaydee@bellsouth.net

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 12:15 pm    

Hi again,
restoration to the original condition is NOT my intention......just to make it playable is my wish.

I would appreciate info regarding the best place to find a switch and machine heads that would fit.
Baz

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 1:29 pm    

Hey Baz--the best idea I can provide for you is to go to
http://www.stewmac.com/

and order a catalog. They have a good selection and I have been a satisfied customer for some years. (last time I checked, their website wasn't really up to snuff, catalog-wise--you really need the paper cat. to see the full selection.)

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 2:43 pm    

I'd agree with Jon that Stewart-MacDonald is probably your best source for replacement tuners. I would guess that the Waverly tuners might be a good fit. Be sure to get the dimensions of the existing holes before ordering; I think it would be hard to drill out the existing holes to match a larger tuning peg.
If the tuners are usable but the heads are distintegrated, Stew-Mac sells replacement tuner heads. You basically take off the old tuner head and stick on a new one. See Frank Ford's article on his web site for more instructions.
I couldn't even begin to guess where you'd get a replacement switch. Have you contacted Rickenbacker?

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 3:21 pm    

xxaa

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 8:02 pm    

Hi,
I recently got an older version of that guitar. The tuners look like what you'd find on a cheap mandolin. Same post diameter and spacing. Let us know what it sounds like when you get it playable.

Fred Long