The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dark side of the steel
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2001 10:57 am    

Today I read that David Gilmore of Pink Floyd (BTW, this is the guy who owns Strat #00001, at least that's what I've been told) had a career of playing pedal-steel with a band called "Unicorn". Ever heard of them? Did he play steel on other occasions?

------------------
martin abend my homepage chicotarde@web.de
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2001 2:03 pm    

Jason??????

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2001 2:13 pm    

True.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004VWWK/o/qid=987631548/sr=2-3/102-1917732-8835331

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2001 8:01 pm    

Unicorn were kind of like a prog - rock countryesque thing.
They recorded their debut for Transatlantic Records in 1971 and released three more albums between 1974 and 1977 on Capitol Records. Gilmore played on two of those.

Martin, he (Gilmore) did actually take up lap steel in the 1973-1974 period, at least that's when he started taking it out on tour.
As far as I know Gilmore still plays lap steel on tour with Pink Floyd.

There's some 1973 footage of the group where Gilmore plays some of the more avant garde guitar parts by laying his guitar on the ground, while he slides a bar furiously over it and works a series of pedals and effects.
For the more contolled distorted soaring sound he preferred for lead work, he played slide and a lot of sustained string bending wailing.
Some time around the 'Dark Side Of The Moon' tour (and it's important to remember that they wrote all the songs and toured it as a whole before going into the studio, I've heard some bootlegs from this period and there's certainparts and ideas they dropped, while others where refined considerably.
A second guitarist was added for the live show for the actual post albumtouring and I believe that this was when Gilmore started using the lap steel onstage.
If you can track down the video from their 1987-1988 tour you will see Gilmore playing some lap steel.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

[This message was edited by Jason Odd on 19 April 2001 at 07:40 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2001 7:55 am    

Another thread mentioned pedal steels being in some rock bands. But, you have to remember that a LOT of people still aren't familiar with pedal steel. So, when they see a guy playing slide (or a non-pedal steel) and using "stomp boxes" (or a volume or wah-wah pedal), they assume that's a pedal steel!!!

When it comes to being recognized, or appreciated, or understood, we still got a loooooong way to go, guys.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 19 April 2001 at 08:58 AM.]

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2001 10:55 am    

the 70s film footage jason mentioned is called "Pink Floyd at Pompei," and is a very interesting piece to watch. there's alot of studio footage from sessions that eventually became the dark side of the moon album. you can clearly hear their early ideas for the songs. the video is a must for true pink floyd fans, not so much for anyone not into their catalog.

the video from their "momentary lapse of reason tour" is a very cool concert film, very nicely edited. the video looks like pink floyd sounds...if you know what i mean, dude. the lapsteel solo on "one of these days" is pretty raw. purely psychodelic rock.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2001 10:06 pm    

Chris, obviously you're a Floyd fan.

Yep live at Pompei is indeed the short film (about an hour), that I wasthinking of, it is a truly marvelous live document withthe group playing open air in some of the most picturesque locations. Mixed with a little studio footage, and shots where the group couldn't play, near a volcano for example.

I have the original version the was released, which is a shame as you seem to have the version that includes two or more version of songs that would surface on the 'Dark Side Of The Moon' album.
The group is definately on and the whole sound and look of this video is truly marvelous.
For the Gimore era Floyd, I personally think that the 1969 'Ummagumma' two LP album, the Pompei video are interesting documents of the group at a real peak, while mixing their progressive sound with the group's original psyche rock sound.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 11:53 am    

My friend that turned me on to "the Floyd" is really into their earlier early stuff. My interest starts with Atom Heart Mother and Meddle, and continues up to the Wall. Haven't heard ummagumma in years.

Momentary Lapse was a good album, but their sound was getting really drenched in this polypropelene sheen or something. Extra mega-processed. Seemed to have one more extra coat on the next album. I always loved their layered sound but now it just sounds too squishy...compressed.

Seeing them on the Momentary Lapse tour was a dream come true, as I was too young to catch any tours from previous albums.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 6:50 pm    

I must admit that I came onto the group in the 1980s, I missed the Momentary Lapse tour due to the fact that I went to Papua New Guinea for a month and missed it entirely.
It was the first tour that I was old enough to see as well.
I really like the early band, Meddle, Ummagumma, and Atom heart Mother are definite faves, and I'd have to say that 'Animals' is possibly my fave of the latter period.

Even though the 'Wall' and the other 1980s albums really got me into the group, with hindsight I can barely listen to any of that material due to the hollow 1980s feel and the rather overblown vibe they seem to have obtained. That's personal opinion of course.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2001 10:58 am    

For the most part, seems we have the same opinion about the band and its evolution. And Animals is pretty much tied with Wish You Were Here as far as my favorite Floyd albums go...but then again, what about Dark Side..?

So much great material from that band. My high school and college years would not have been the same had I not delved deeply into their catalog. And they never did stand still. Everything was obviously "Floyd" but no two albums sound alike. I think that's the most important factor of their history and appeal.

We seem to be the only fans carrying on this thread.