The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Name That Tune!!!
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 4:34 pm    

I am looking for a song that I had on tape years ago and which I've since lost. The tape was a compilation of trucker songs by various artists which included "Nitro Express" by Red Simpson and some others which I do not remember.

Anyway, the song I'm trying to find was a trucker song too, and was sort of in the typical Bakersfield/Del Reeves/Red Simpson/Buck Owens vein of the mid-to-late 60's with a steady, up-tempo sort of beat and lots of popping, low-register telecaster licks thrown in between the vocals.

Obviously, I don't remember the title, nor do I remember specific lyrics, but I do remember it was about a trucker driving along the Oklahoma Turnpike at night and looking out his window, seeing little green men racing him in their spaceship. For all I know, it could have been Del Reeves, but I have no way of knowing.

I'd sure like to be able to find the title and artist of this song. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

[This message was edited by Tom Olson on 29 November 2000 at 06:22 PM.]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 4:44 pm    

i think the album might be Rig Rock Deluxe
from Deisel Only 1996. it has a duet of Nitro Express with red simpson and Jr Brown.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 6:33 pm    

Janice,

Thanks for your reply. I've heard Rig Rock Delux, which is an excellent CD. I think Rig Rock Delux is a compilation of re-recordings which were made in about 1996 or so. This song that I'm trying to find is definitely not on Rig Rock Delux.

The tape that I had was from the back in the 70's during the trucker craze, and I think most of the recordings on it were original recordings from the 60's. In fact, now that I think about it, this tape also had a second Red Simpson song called "Dangerous Curves" or something like that. But, all the other songs were by other various artists. Thanks to anyone who responds.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 8:58 pm    

Whooa some wierd thought, Red Simpson did have some sort of novelty trucking tune with Flying saucers in it.

I haven'y heard it since I was a kid, maybe someone else can dig up the title, but I'll see if I can dig up any info on it.

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2000 8:18 pm    

Jason,

Thanks for your reply. For all I know, it could have been Red Simpson -- I honestly have no idea who it was.

Like you say, the song I'm looking for had something about flying saucers in it, and it was a trucker song. Definitely let me know if you find out anything. Thanks,

Tom

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 2:11 pm    

There was some other "trucker" songs out back then by an artist whose name escapes me...seems like his main claim to fame was a single called "Convoy" that resulted in a couple of albums before he disappeared forever. Possibly it was on one of those.

Lori Smith

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 4:14 pm    

My husband is a truck driver and he's got loads of these tapes. Even has 8-tracks! He doesn't remember this particular song but he's gonna start asking around and see if one of his buddies knows about it.

------------------
Lori Smith - email: lori@b0b.com - Web Page Design - PictureHost.net

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 6:41 pm    

Could this be spacemen in my loungeroom or aliens in my loungeroom? This song is done by a Melbourne band--Rock Bottom James and the Detonators.

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2000 6:22 pm    

Thanks everyone for your help.

Gene, I think the guy your referring to is C.W. McCall. That was actually a pen name for the guy who wrote a bunch of novelty songs beginning in the mid-seventies with the "get back to the country/I wanna be a trucker" craze that erupted during the trucker strikes and gas shortages that became prevalent after about 1973. Like you say, some of the songs he wrote were, "Convoy" "Wolf Creek Pass" "CJ-5 with a 4-Wheel Drive" , etc. etc. I would classify C.W. McCall's music as more like mainstream 70's country/pop.

This particular song I'm trying to locate had more of a 60's Bakersfield sound to it. And, although I can't be positive, I think it pre-dated the trucker craze by at least a few years. I think the song was probably from the mid-sixties. More the era of the initial Dave Dudley, Del Reeves, Red Simpson trucker songs. If you've ever heard the original Del Reeves recordings of, "Girl on the Billboard" and "Lookin' at the World Through a Windshield" then you'll know the sound I'm talking about.

Brendan, I am positive that this song did not have anything to do with a loungeroom, but thanks for posting.

-- Tom --

Lori Smith

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 7:52 am    

Tom, check out this site....
http://www.musicmailorder.com/

do a search on Del Reeves and it'll come back with song titles on all the albums they have for him. It also pulls up lots of other "trucker" albums and shows the songs in each album. Maybe this will help.

------------------
Lori Smith - email: lori@b0b.com - Web Page Design - PictureHost.net

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 6:31 pm    

You could also try www.trucksongs.com
Go to "Can't find it.