The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lost in the Feeling
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 3:47 pm    

I was at Wall-Mart and saw that Mark Chestnut's new release has Lost in The Feeling for the title cut. Has anyone heard his remake? If so, what is your opinion of it?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 4:25 pm    

CDNow has a few bars of the steel break in their sound bite and some singing. I assume it is Paul Franklin. Super fat and lush. There is a string section too. Sounds like they are going for high cholesterol. Very buttery, very rich. I'm not sure that it works for me. I'll bet you that the tracks with the basic instruments would have carried it just fine. You know that Paul can interpret the steel part and make it his own in this great steel vehicle. But the producer brought a sledgehammer with him.
All this from a :20 second soundbite. I know, I know. But it seems a shame to not trust the musicians to carry the song.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 7:37 pm    

I did some research on this and it turns out that the 'producer' I refer to is none other than Marty Stuart. Actually, with full respect for Marty, I have heard other projects of his--a very late Bill Monroe recording with tons of strings--that seemed over the top to me. Clearly he and I have different tastes on some things. And, for sure, we share the same taste with other things.

Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2000 10:59 am    

I have seen the video on CMT several times and heard the cut on radio a few times. It is GREAT! Steel guitar all the way.

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064
The Tyler Wails Band
www.geocities.com/tylerwails

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 9:48 am    

I have heard the cut and think it is pretty darn good. It is more country than a lot of stuff coming out of Nashville right now. Paul Franklin did an excellent job on the tune. One thing I don't understand, why didn't they use John Hughey? He did the original with Conway and would have been great re-cutting it. I'm not taking anything away from Paul Franklin. He is at the top of his game, plays the right thing everytime. I know that is what the producers want and that is why they call Paul. He has the knack for making everything fit. But I feel sometimes, on classic country remakes where the steel MAKES the song, maybe the guy that cut it originally should do the re-cut. This can't always happen for various reasons, I realize that. There are plenty of studio cats in Nashville that can do the job. Once again I'm not slamming Paul. If I were to cut my own record (as a singer), he would be the one I would want! But if you were going to re-do "Together Again", wouldn't you try to get Tom Brumley to do the session? As steel players, we all listen for the steel in every song we hear. I guess that is just our nature, at least I do. Some of the new stuff is disappointing, but I don't blame the pickers. They are doing there job. I hope I haven't offended anyone, just expressing my opinion.

Nice work Paul!! Greg

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 10:33 am    

Just a thought to consider--or more like an on the one hand/on the other hand--

On the one hand the artist that creates the classic, enduring piece of art deserves the payday when it comes time to cover the song and generate more revenue.

On the other hand, this is Mark's tribute to this great song. As Mark pays tribute to Conway, Paul pays tribute to John.
I think I'm more interested in hearing Paul's reinterpretation of this than in hearing John play it again. I'll put on the original to enjoy John Hughey's beautiful playing.

--Just my thinking. And no, I find nothing anti-PF in this thread at all, Greg.

Alan Shank

Woodland, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 10:58 am    

quote:

CDNow has a few bars of the steel break in their sound bite and some singing. I assume it is Paul Franklin. Super fat and lush. There is a string section too. Sounds like they are going for high cholesterol. Very buttery, very rich. I'm not sure that it works for me. I'll bet you that the tracks with the basic instruments would have carried it just fine. You know that Paul can interpret the steel part and make it his own in this great steel vehicle. But the producer brought a sledgehammer with him.

Mark Chesnutt used to be produced by Mark Wright, who has a knack for mixing steel guitar with lush strings, as on some of Lee Ann Womack's stuff. Personally, I can't stand that; it just ruins the song for me.

Did Marty Stuart really put strings on Monroe stuff? It's hard to believe Bill would stand for that.
Cheers,
Alan Shank

erik

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 1:58 pm    

According to BMI the song is written by Lewis J. Anderson. I'm sure he is pleased to see his song revitalized. It will probably cause more sales of the Twitty version too.

Paul Franklin is in an unenviable position trying to recreate or invent a new version of a classic steel song. What's a guy to do?

John Hughey's performance on Lost In The Feeling will always stand out as one of the all-time great pedal steel recordings. I think a new version should have a different player... and so it does.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 4:29 pm    

Yeah, Alan--I'm not sure what this recording project was but the college station here with country and bluegrass shows plays it on occasion. It has Marty talking between cuts. The song in particular is an instrumental with Bill's mandolin tuned so that the strings don't double but instead play 'unison fifths' as it were (or maybe fourths--I forget) and it's a real funereal sort of dirge. Actually pretty affecting with the string section and--sorry--heavenly choir. Being released with Bill clearly pretty near the end, it was, IMO, in kinda questionable taste. First time I heard it was like hearing Bill play his own death hymn. Weird.
But sometimes way over the top can work in spite of itself.
I have no idea how much of this project was Marty working with Bill or Marty working the studio without Bill.

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 7:33 pm    

the video is a nice tribute to conway, it keeps flashing to a tv with conway performing. the video ends with i think its ''to the best friend a song ever had'' conway twitty-- 1935-1995

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2000 8:51 am    

Robby Turner's Instrumental version
on MAN OF STEEL says it all.