The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jake Hooker
Peggy Poovey

Dallas,Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2000 4:00 pm    

Received new Jake Hooker recorded live May 2000 today. It is totally awesome. Great Steel by Gary Carpenter, this is a must have for all real country music people,I am quite sure it will never get country radio play, but if you like Johnny Bush,Price, etc, you will love it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 11:30 am    

Well Gary Carpenter just played me some of it over the phone and it is totally awesome. Here is where you can get it.
http://www.southlandrecords.com/hookerjake7721live.htm
"It don't get any better than this".

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 10:49 pm    

Ok did I metion that forumites Jim Loessberg(drums); Bobby Flores(fiddle)are on this CD?
Also Reggie R. on fiddle and backup vocals and can sing and play his you know what off too(you know him as Charlie Pride's fiddler).
Just click the link and see for yourself the incredible amount of "down home;real;true;in your face; country music and westernswing" is on there. As far as Gary Carpenter on steel; you will not believe the tone and amount of genious pickin' out of this man on a Pedal Steel. If you learn half of what Gary plays on this CD; you will have learned more than most steel players can only dream of playing>"It's that good".
I've ordered 10 of them on the spot; and I haven't bought a CD in years(well actually they were vinal then).
Ricky

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 3:42 am    

Ricky I might join you in getting this one. my exposure to Jake was his duet on the Justin Trevino album.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Peggy Poovey

Dallas,Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 3:14 pm    

Ricky, well said.I have been reading the Forum for nearly 2 years,and have never posted until now, but I just had to get the word out on this great CD.We need more music like this, and the only way we will ever get it, is to support the few that can,and more important will play Country.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 3:22 pm    

This is one CD I have to have! I've played several gigs with Jake and not only is he a super singer and bass man, but a fine gentleman as well.

Gary Carpenter is indeed one of the best steel pickers there is, and I'm proud to call him my friend as well.

Reggie Reuffer played in bands with me when he was first starting out and before he was old enough to drink. He plays and sings great harmony and was the first fiddle player I ever heard that could play a twin part on fiddle while singing a different harmony part. I've still never heard anyone else play Rock and Roll distortion guitar parts on fiddle like he does. He even bends strings on his fiddle!

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@home.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-12 8&5=-

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 7:16 am    

Ah yes, Carp. I guess I have raved about this guy on the forum enough to know how I feel about him. I havn't heard this CD yet, but I'm sure Carp is all over it as usual.
Peggy, are you kin to "Groovy" Joe Poovey?

Peggy Poovey

Dallas,Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 8:20 am    

Yes,Chris, I am Joe Poovey's widow. Joe and I shared a wonderful life together, as well both of us loved good Country Music,I know that he is up there in Hillbilly Heaven,picking,and singing with a group of his all time favorite steelers,Jimmy Day, Bobby Garrett, and others. I am proud to hear Gary Carpenter,Jake and all the guys do Classic Country Proud.

------------------

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 6:00 pm    

I purchased this CD at Ernest Tubbs record shop in Fort Worth a few weeks ago. It is a very good CD-when I looked at the credits and saw that Gary Carpenter was playing steel I knew I had to have it. I also enjoy Justin Trevino very much and am returning to Fort Worth to hear him in December. Buy both of these CD's-you wont be sorry-it is the kind of country music we talk about isnt being recorded any more-but it is !!