The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Electric Guitars
erik

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 5:59 pm    

Most people play/own a 6-string electric. What is your preference?

I would suspect most own a Tele of some sort. It is certainly best suited for Country picking. My personal favorite is the Les Paul Special. I love those P90 pick-ups. I tried one out yesterday. The action and playability was very good. No fret buzz anywhere. It's tone and sustain was excellent. The price is right too... $460. Yes it is a genuine Gibson not Epiphone. Marked for clearence. The problem is it is black on black, which looks ugly. I can't understand why they would make it that way when cream pick-ups would look much better. Maybe i could buy it and swap out the covers. I *do* like that guitar.

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 7:38 pm    

I have a 70's blonde Telly that I'd never part with. I have a Les Paul as well, but you have to have both, cause you can't get anything to really sound like a Telly. I use a Squier Strat tuned the same as my Dobro for slide. Gives ya a real swamp sound, when use with fingerpicks.

John

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Jude James Shiels

near Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 6:14 am    

My main guitar is a plywood Jap Squier Strat which I use for slide mainly, I've never had to change a thing since I first got it about 10 years ago, it tunes great, the sound of the pickups is as good or better as any Fender I have played. I am not the only person I know who thinks this about Squiers, as JB would agree with I am sure.

I also have an old Silvertone which I love, and a reissue Danelectro, both guitars are very similar due to being designed by Dan Armstrong, but there is something about a hollow body I feel that gives a beautiful mellow tone.

I have recorded with a Les Paul and a Marshall and after playing my strat on the road for a few years through a fairly battered tranny amp it was like not playing at all, the guitar played itself. I could get used to that if a Marshall wasn't so heavy and a Les Paul wasn't so tempermental

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 6:47 am    

Yeah, you can't beat those Squiers fro slide guitar. Set 'em up and they stay that way forever, and get great tone for a great price. I doubt I'd use one for normal play, but for slide, it's killer.

John

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 6:47 pm    

I want one of those new "Stratacoustic" or "Telecoustic" guitars. I don't know why, I haven't played straight guitar in 30 years. I haven't heard or played one, it just looks like a neat guitar! By the way, I still have my old original '62 Jaguar. Anyone for "Surf Music"?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 2:32 am    

My favorite was the 61 Gretsch PX6120, that I stupidly sold in 85. I have an old Grammer acoustic and a new Fender Nashville Tele. The tele has the tele sound and the out of phase strat sounds, without the hassle of the vibrato tailpiece. I have .009's on the Tele and it feels and plays good.

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 2:38 am    

I have a Strat that I bought new in 1958. I almost traded it once, but I won't ever consider that again. I had a Tele for a while, but it was too shrill for my ears.

I also have a Les Paul Deluxe. It's a pretty nice guitar, but it stays in the case unless I want a really mellow sound for a recording project.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 4:58 am    

I have a Mexican Tele as my primary guitar, a reissue Danelectro U-2, and also play a reissue Danelectro U-1 for slide.

The Danos have a great sound, and have a huge dynamic range (the whisper to roar potential is fantastic), but they don't feel as good or sustain as well has my Tele. Fun guitars though, and the U-1 set up for slide is a blast. I also have a Jap Strat from about 1986 that I need to get set-up again to include in the "rotation." Its early retirement is over.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 8:36 am    

#1 '62 Strat
#2 '62 Tele Reissue (the bound body Jap one) with Seymour Duncan pickups.

Quote:
without the hassle of the vibrato tailpiece

C'mon Jack, that's the half the Strat tone
You just gotta get it right....

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 8:00 pm    

I have a Sept 59 Jag and I love that long tremalo handle. It actually sounds like you're rooling the bar like it's supposed to. A Manual Tele (Made in Mexico) that I bought around 92 and a Sigma flat top.
Along with my Emmons SD-10 I now wonder how I ever had time for work.
Bob Carlson

------------------
Uff Da

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 21 September 2000 at 09:00 PM.]

Matt Hutchinson

London, UK
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 1:14 am    

The only electric guitar I play now is a weird thing by a Californian company called Lindert. It's a Tele shape & has a 50s style radio grille on the front (!?) & the back of the neck is shaved so you can get your thumb way over to play the bottom strings. It's got a weird thick tone & I absolutely love it. For anybody looking for something different I'd definitely check 'em out.

Jude James Shiels

near Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 2:32 am    

I agree with Chris about the reissue Danelectro's, I have a U2 also and it was very cheap but it has an amazing tone. I am going to try pick up the electro-acoustic model soon, for slide they are great.

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 3:27 pm    

i always loved that es335 stuff on Twitty's records.

Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 4:54 pm    

Hey Guys, A Tele or a Strat is the thing- A Les-Paul is too heavy, Name any one of those guitboxes and then go back and compare it to a Tele or Strat, American,Mexican etc... even no name, they still work the best for all around utility guitars.I think if I could have (and could afford )a "dream guitar" I think I`d get me a 335 Gibson ,or a
Country Gentleman.I`d be afraid of scratching those suckers tho. So lets go back to Teles and Strats.......

------------------

Bill R. Baker

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 5:16 pm    

I play a Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean. Great guitar!!

Mario Cuppetelli

Alpena, MI
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 11:12 am    

I play a American Strat 50th ann. edition, I waited ove 25 years to get a Strat. My flat top in a Taylor 614ce and I just love it. I will pick up my Sho-Bud 8+4 in Nov and I am going to try to play it.

I am truly blessed, is this a great country or what?
Mario
www.firstassembly.alpena.net

[This message was edited by Mario Cuppetelli on 23 September 2000 at 12:13 PM.]

erik

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 12:50 pm    

Rick,
What year is that Deluxe, and what finish do you have?

Bill,
Was the Chet Atkins Tennessean originally a Gretsch model?

Blane Sanders

York,Co. Pa.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 7:23 pm    

Made in USA "TELE" W/Hipshot, 1956 ES-175, Simon & Patrick accoustic, USA "STRAT" (for sale), to pay for this used D-10 Siarra, that I'm buying to play while I add 11 changes, & 2 knee levers to my D-10 P/P.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 8:48 am    

Fender Telecaster - B Bender
Dan Electrro Baritone Guitar
Gibson ES 175

Tim

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 11:35 pm    

I had a couple of 50s Teles but my main guitar is a 56 Gibson Switchmaster. Kinda big and heavy but it also twangs with the best.

Andy

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 6:23 am    

Erik,

I'm not sure of the year of the Deluxe. If you have a serial # listing, I could tell you what the number is. I would guss that it's an early 80's or late 70's. I bought it used in the early 80's and it was like new. Still is! It has a blond top and dark (maybe rosewood or mahogany) sides and back. It also has the mini-humbuckers. I guess that's standard on that model.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 8:23 am    

I Sure like my American Deluxe Telecaster with 2 Fender noiseless Tele Pickups and 1 Fender Noiseless Strat Pick up and 7 way switching. I haven't had it long but it serves as a Tele or Strat sound for the most part. I also have and like the Takamine LTD 99 with the DSP AD-1 system for the flat top you sure can get some nice sound out of it and it is especially great for solo work..I've been looking and thinking about a purchase of a Guild F65CE thin body flat top, it has the action of a solid body but still the sound of an acoustic electric...I play a Martin D35 for Bluegrass playing also a Dobro. But my main stay are my Emmons LG D-10 and LG III SD-10. Too little time and too many guitars.../////

[This message was edited by Bill Findlay on 26 September 2000 at 09:25 AM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:01 pm    

I've got a thin body cherry red Gibson Trini Lopez model with a Keith/Scruggs banjo tuner on string 6 and a Bigsby Palm Pedal to raise strings 2 & 3 a whole tone, also two Telecasters (and early 70's with a B-bender and a new Mexican Nashville Deluxe 3 pickup job which is really a great guitar! But my favorite of all is my 1980 Ibanez Artist solid body. It's as heavy as a Les Paul but in my opinion is a better guitar. I have both of the humbuckers tapped and also a strat pickup added in the middle. I had a set of Palm Pedals on it but Sleepy John gave me a Gibson fine tuning stud tailpiece so I put that on. The only other people I ever saw play these were Steve Miller and Jimmy Seals from Shenandoah.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:24 pm    

My dad sold a Les Paul before we moved to Nashville. Not knowing the value,anyway someone got a great guitar for alot less money! But if we'd only known then, what the guitar would be worth today! Wow! Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 04 October 2000 at 06:52 AM.]

Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 9:18 pm    

My main axe is a 79 Fender Strat.Red with maple neck.My other love is a 75 Guild X500,with birdseye maple sides and back,blonde in color, what a tone.