The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage performing question....
Missy James

Kaiser MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 2:48 pm    

One of our cast singers is pregnant and the owner of the show (a lady herself) has asked her to not talk to the general audience about the pregnancy unless she is asked about it. The owner feels that some audiences may be offended by the fact that a pregnant lady is performing on stage, especially one who wears mini-skirts and go-go boots for part of the performance. This is a really great lady (she is beautiful both inside and out) and right now she has a flatter stomach at 4 1/2 months pregnant than I ever have or ever will. I'm curious to know how many of you it would bother to know that one of our singers was "in a delicate condition" and if it would affect your review of our show?? Just curious.

------------------
I don't drink or lie, but I swear I steel!!

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 4:13 pm    

Missy, it wouldn't bother me, I know I was right here in N.J. 4 1/2 months ago.

...and I have the kind of mind that likes "Springtime for Hitler" from the movie "The Producers", so I would rather see your entire group of back-up singers dancing in mini-skirts and boots in those go-go cages fully dropped at 8-1/2 months..I'd stand in line to go see that show...

....strange, though...I don't like pro wraslin' or roller derby.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 5:04 pm    

Good Heavens, who would possibly care as long as the young lady wasn't taking a health risk.

Missy James

Kaiser MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 9:16 pm    

The owner's explanation is that her father (God rest his soul) was brought up to believe that pregnant ladies should not be seen in public. Although she herself does not feel this way, she doesn't want to take the chance of offending anyone in our (generally 50+ years average age) audience. Any other views out there??

------------------

Mac Lloyd

St. George, Utah
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 10:34 pm    

Don't really know, do you have some pictures?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 7:41 am    

Would not bother me a bit as long as she didn't give birth on stage.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Missy James

Kaiser MO
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 8:45 am    

Emmett - what a nice comment. I'm sure your wife was proud to have you with her, too!

------------------

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 2:54 pm    

I don't see anything wrong with that, but the problem here is we don't all see things the same. Maybe the other lady has never been in that condition or if she was didn't feel good about people seeing her that way.
Bob Carlson

------------------
Uff Da Meg

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 17 September 2000 at 03:56 PM.]

erik

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 3:44 pm    

I will not comment on the social question, but i will add this thought:

I wonder if there could be any danger associated with EMFs and pregnancy. If i were married and my wife were pregnant i wouldn't want her near all the electrical equipment.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 4:17 pm    

Would it affect my review of the show? Not at all.

If it were obvious she were pregnant, I might have some safety concerns about her being on the stage if she didn't appear to be taking some precautions. For example, if she were far enough along, I think it would be best if she were to be sitting on a stool while singing.

At some point in the pregnancy, the mini-skirt and gogo boots might get a little comical, I suppose.

The comments about EMF are interesting. I hadn't really thougt about that, but it could be a valid concern.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 4:44 pm    

Tell her that you agree completely. That pregnant women should be heard, but not seen. She should bring in a curtain, and sing from behind it. During breaks, she should retire to the dressing room while the lights are still out, and you should slip her liquids through the crack under the door. Very enlightened.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 5:09 pm    

Quote:
Although she herself does not feel this way, she doesn't want to take the chance of offending anyone in our (generally 50+ years average age) audience.

No matter WHAT she does in life, she's bound to offend SOMEBODY.

I'd tell her to do what she feels comfortable doing. And not to worry too much about what others might think.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 6:05 pm    

Quote:
That pregnant women should be heard, but not seen. She should bring in a curtain, and sing from behind it.

...or they could just move the venue to Riyahd or Mecca, where the owner would be absolutely right.

Missy James

Kaiser MO
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 6:58 pm    

I guess I should clarify another point, too. The owner of the show herself is a GREAT lady that I have oodles of respect for. She's relatively new to the show business arena and is trying very hard to make the best decisions that she can.

David Pennybaker - I think I like you more with every post I read! You were reading my mind about the gogo boots and mini skirt. I kind of felt that at some point it would become too comical and detract from the performance. (EXCEPT: She is currently singing Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" and I would really like to see her do this at 8 months along!!! ) But you were absolutely right about being bound to offend someone.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm glad to see that the world is more accepting than it used to be. Then again, we're musicians. I guess there's probably not a whole lot that we haven't seen, huh?

------------------

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 7:19 pm    

Quote:
I think I like you more with every post I read!

Hmmm, does that mean I started out bad? Thanks.

Quote:
(EXCEPT: She is currently singing Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" and I would really like to see her do this at 8 months along!!!)

ROTFLMAO! I agree whole-heartedly. Now THAT would be comical! (and worth seeing).

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 9:59 pm    

David Pennybaker had the same thought's I had when I first began to read this post.It is for sure there is nothing she can do about the shape her body will change to.
There is no shame in it,so there is no need to hide from the world.
I for one,was very pride to be with my wife and thought she looked just as wonderful as alway's.
She is going to be notices, one way or the other.
Go go boot and a minne skirt, ha ha .I've noticed already.And that's just normal.
She will only be notice more as she shows more.
It would be like a one armed man playing steel.
You could not help but notice,his condision and his performce
And man,I mean Missy ,I'll bet she dose feel like a woman

------------------
BJ Bailey

Missy James

Kaiser MO
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 5:10 am    

Right on, BJ!

------------------

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 9:32 am    

From a social stand point, it should the individual's decision to make and as long as she is comfortable with it, let her perform, providing management does not have a problem.

I personally think that a pregnant lady is one of the most beautiful sights to behold. They just seem to "Blossom" and become more beautiful each day during the pregnancy. I am sure that there are some that will call me perverted because of this remark, but just take a closer look at the lady the next time you see one carrying. I hope no one takes this out of context and makes something dirty out of it.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 10:18 am    

A pregnant lady always shines a little brighter.
Smiley where were you 41/2 mos. ago? Ray

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 10:38 am    

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Dana Scully (Gilian Anderson) pregnant on the new season of X-Files. Anyone who feels that the miracles of life should be hidden from public view has a screw loose, in my opinion.

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 6:24 am    

Quote:
The owner's explanation is that her father (God rest his soul) was brought up to believe that pregnant ladies should not be seen in public

That's one of the sickest things I've ever heard. And a mentruating woman must not be touched, right? Feminism? Gender studies?

I think there is a big difference between not wanting to offend someone and claiming the same rights that every man has. Acting normal, that is.

------------------
martin abend my homepage martinabend@yahoo.com
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 5:18 am    

In July of last year I did a show with a songwriter I'd been working with for some time. She was about 8 months along, it was an outdoor show (hot, humid), and she played like a trooper. Her only problem was learning to play her acoustic guitar on the side of her belly instead of right in front of it. I joked that she could play dobro and not need a strap, just rest it there right on top.

Anyway, she did well and I don't believe the audience was offended at all. They seemed very supportive and laughed with us as she told her stories between songs. Oddly enough, the stories were about being 8 months pregnant, hot, and uncomfortable...

Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 11:18 pm    

One of my best friends played on the bandstand til the contractions started and off she went to the hospital. She delivered before the last set so the whole band came to the hospital. She got a funny look from the nurse when the nurse asked who the father was. She said, "The one in the tux". The whole band wore a tux. (She didn't know the whole band was in the waiting room)
Your friend is having that baby, no one else, so let her have it her way!!!

------------------

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 10:09 am    

She should continue to perform as long as she cares to; providing she doesn't get silly comments like:

Hmmmm, I know what you've been doing.

Rick

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 10:19 am    

Quote:
The whole band wore a tux

Must have been a really BIG tux!

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News