The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Soul 2 Soul Tour
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 3:11 am    

Here's part of a review from the Kansas City Star on the Faith and Tim tour.

The reviewer hits home to those of us that have been saying it's not country anymore, regardless of what the Nashville industry says.

"The official title of this show is the "Soul 2 Soul Tour," which might give you the impression that Prince had something to do with it.

In fact, this was a big-time country music extravaganza, a showcase for two of Nashville's biggest stars. But in the long run, this show had about as much to do with country music as it had to do with funk, soul or hip-hop, despite the token fiddles, banjos and pedal steel guitars.

The headliners, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, are big, big stars with lots of pop and classic rock licks in their repertoire, and Sunday night at Kemper Arena, the first couple of new country brought a near-capacity crowd to the threshold of a frenzy by doing what they've done flawlessly for more than half a decade: look good and sing glossy, manufactured pop songs as if they'd written each one themselves"

------------------
Franklin D-10
Fender Nashville Tele
A Country Musician

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 6:30 am    

Quote:
look good and sing glossy, manufactured pop songs as if they'd written each one themselves

A good singer ALWAYS tries to sing a song as if he'd lived it (and written it) himself.

It also seems that today (for some unknown reason) people don't want to just enjoy music at a concert -- they want a "show". I'm sure Tim and Faith delivered that. (I wouldn't know for sure, because I hate big crowds at concerts, and I don't like "shows". So I'm not heading to that tour any time soon.)

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 6:56 am    

I think it's refreshing to see married couples singing to each other. Clint and Lisa are another. This way they can travel and have more of a family life together

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 7:02 am    

Darn! I thought you said 'Soil to Soil'...

Actually, I have difficulty when something crosses over too far into the realm of excessive 'cuteness'. It can become kind of nauseating.

I'm sure it's nice for these folks to be working together, but Tim (the Whiner) and Faith (Miss This Kiss) are personally not my cup of tea.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 26 September 2000 at 08:06 AM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 7:26 am    

Quote:
This way they can travel and have more of a family life together

I just want to point out that families don't HAVE TO perform together in order to travel together.

Chris and Kiaya Wilkinson (mom and youngest daughter, respectively) almost always travel with Steve, Amanda, and Tyler when they're on the road.

I think that kind of closeness is great, especially today. I'm not sure I could've handled living on a bus with my parents and brothers for over half the year. How they manage (with 13 people total on that bus) is beyond me.

Oh, and Chris DOES sing with the family. But she gets terrible stage fright, which is why she's not part of the group.

Getting back to Tim and Faith: I've enjoyed many of Tim's songs (esp. the earlier ones), and to a lesser degree Faith's songs (again, mainly the earlier ones). I do think, however, that they're duets could use a little "broadening" -- it IS possible to do a duet that's not about love.

------------------

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 7:41 am    

Thanks guys! I'll make sure I tell them that the next time I see them!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 8:00 am    

Quote:
I'll make sure I tell them that the next time I see them!

Oh, NO!

Can I rephrase?

Just kidding. I'll have to email you something else, though.

------------------