The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  I Wonder What Shot Would Think
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 12:08 am    

Being a professional musician I try to keep an open mind about new ideas and trends. Also I try to find the things I like in music instead of focusing on what I don't like. But I refuse to be ashamed of my upbringing on a farm in Virginia,or playing country music of any form. I was born in 1960 and I remember when I was a small boy watching the Earnest Tubb show,the Porter Wagoner show,the Wilburn Bros.show and others long before there was cable or T.N.N. And as my family said it was the only time I sit still. I can still see Buddy Charleton playing that old Sho-Bud. If you want to call me a redneck go ahead,I worked out in the hot summer sun enough to have one. And that's nothing for me to be ashamed of. Now what do you all think Shot Jackson would say about people in the music community of Nashville telling us we should be ashamed of our roots and heritage? He would more than likely bust them in the mouth. I have to walk on eggshells when dealing with others heritages but I'm supposed to be ashamed of mine. Something is wrong with this picture. I reiterate I don't live in the past but I do remember it and treasure the memories and look for a bright future and as a musician I always try to improve and look for new things. But I'm tired of hearing and seeing people say that the new breed is better in every case and everything before was redneck. I will admit there are some talented people in the buisness now but there are some very lucky mediocre ones too. I'm done now. Mike Sweeney

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 12:59 am    

Very well spoken Mike,I have read resent post of those who seem to think they are mr and mrs goody two shoe's .And it seems as tho they may be ashamed of roots of their raiseing.There is and old saying,When you think you are something, you ai'nt nothing.
So I think it helps us to keep a profiled check on just who we think we really are.Smile:)

------------------
BJ Bailey

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 4:26 am    

Mike,
I worked for David and Shot! Today I think Shot would be happy to see how the steel has flourished in more types of music! Shot had a great heart and was open to new things.
I miss him dearly!
Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 22 September 2000 at 05:28 AM.]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 6:57 am    

I'm almost sure Shot would not have been a leader of any new movement that would put aside all the acomplishments of his lifetimes work. I'm more positive the man put every new Idea into his love of the music (Country)and creating instruments that would play such.one proof of such,His instrument hangs in the "Country" Music Hall Of Fame. Where I will agree with Theresa is his instruments were and are capable of playing any type of music. I have seen a Sho-Bud on Neil Diamonds stage.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 22 September 2000 at 08:43 AM.]

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 7:19 am    

You the man Mike.You got a Redneck brother in me. I'm a redneck,traditional country music loving honkey right down to my red,white and blue socks right back up to my redneck.Anybody don't like it can kiss my.....REDNECK. Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 7:19 am    

Theresa, You seem to miss the point I,m trying to make. I didn't say anything negative about the new ground that's being broken with the steel guitar. I just said in essence, Don't try to make people ashamed if they like traditional country music. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but when you tell people they are ignorrant because they like a certain thing or they didn't come from the same place you did is ludicrous. So don't twist what I said around as to make it say Shot was narrow-minded, because that is not the case. It meant You wouldn't have told Shot that he should be ashamed of his upbringing. So if you misunderstood please read this post again. I don't like having words put in my mouth. Have a nice day. Mike Sweeney

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 7:27 am    

Mike,
I think you misunderstood me! I'm not putting words you your mouth.
No one on the forum, meaning me has said anything bad about traditional music. I respect it and I'm as country as can be
I worked with Shot, I know he liked all kinds of music.
I wish he could share his wisdom with us on the internet! Thanks, Theresa
You have a great day too! Theresa

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 7:48 am    

I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity with this topic. And I have done that. Just to set the record straight here though I would like to say that even though I love traditional country music I like original ideas in all music. I will say that a large portion of todays music[country and otherwise]lacks any form or originality and even if it has originality it is so outside and bazarr that I've got a headache before it's over. Or the female singers over 30 want to be Brittany Spears when they grow up. But that does not stop me from being open minded and listening to what they have to say at least once. Take care, Mike P.S.Theresa tell your mom and dad I said hi and I'll see them in a few weeks to get some strings. Thanks, Mike Sweeney

------------------

Franklin

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 12:22 pm    

Mike,
You don't have to be raised on a farm to be a redneck.
Paul

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 1:06 pm    

Quote:
Now what do you all think Shot Jackson would say about people in the music community of Nashville telling us we should be ashamed of our roots and heritage?

Maybe I'm missing something. Who said that you/we should be ashamed of our roots and heritage?

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 1:26 pm    

What IS a redneck,anyway?

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 1:51 pm    

Quote:
What IS a redneck,anyway?

According to the dictionary:

Slang
1) a member of the White, rural laboring class, espl. in the southern US

Offensive slang
2) A person who advocates a provincial, conservative, often bigoted sociopolitical attitude considered characteristic of a redneck

(Hmmm, the last 5 words in definition #2 seem somewhat redundant).

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 2:26 pm    

Whew...that was close...

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 3:08 pm    

I often wonder if you were called a "redneck" and it was offensive to you, if you would have the the full force of the US government on your side? Also the entire media? Also all the people who abhor prejudice? And your offender would lose his or her job?

I think NOT! Hang in there friend. The pendulum swings just so far.

carl

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 4:33 pm    

Sounds like a "hate crime" to me, Carl.

I'd rather be a redneck than a yuppie anyday.

------------------

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 4:44 pm    

I like to think that I've combined the two-and with excellent results...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 5:04 pm    

I always thought a redneck was something you got by spending the afternoon at a baseball game or something.

I think Shot would be proud.

I like the old and the new. Heck, I can actually enjoy some Brittny Spears (no relation to Billie Joe Spears whom I like a lot too).

And, David...I too would rather be a REDNECK than and d@mn yuppie. No beamer for me.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 5:40 pm    

I would never judge a man by the color of his neck.

Rick

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 10:50 pm    

Paul, I know you don't have to be raised on a farm to be a redneck. I also know some very intelligent people who were raised on a farm. Also some kids I grew up with hated country music and they were raised on farms too. I'm going on observations I've made recently here on this forum and I've seen some things that struck me as to say that this generation has saved country music and we're getting away from our hick immage. Well I don't care how you break it down that is a slurr at people who live,work,and die in rural areas. Like I said I keep an open mind toward all music forms even if I don't understand it I know somebody does. I've come to the point in my life where I know you have to keep moving forward, but unless you know where you came from you can't possibly know where you are going. That's all I can say about the situation. Under no circumstance did I mean to offend anyone but it seems every time I post something I do. Maybe I read some of the earlier posts wrong and if that is the case I am truly sorry. I'll tell you too. Say hi to your folks for me. Mike Sweeney

------------------

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 11:54 pm    

Mike
I was raised on a farm and I know what you're talking about. People are offended so easily now days it's disgusting. I've been called a redneck, hillbilly, river rat etc...but if you think for yourself and don't agree with the masses, you'll always be called something or made to feel a certain way. I could go on but I don't want to offend anyone.

Kevin

Franklin

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 1:17 am    

Mike,
Old Country, Southern Rock, and Bluegrass tend to attract more rednecks than Jazz, classical, and pop. Its been called redneck music by some of the most legendary artists, both affectionately and sinically.
It is what it is. What matters is if you like it and not what someone else calls it. Theresa and I both like some of the old as well as some of the new. Music is such a personal thing.
I personally went through a bitter stage when I was in my early 20's towards the music made in Nashville during the 70's.
I learned that my bitterness towards anything musical was holding me back from succeeding as a musician.
And at a humane level I also know the same is true.
Paul

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 1:44 am    

Theresa,
on the post "the Nashville Network no more" I beleive you posted: TNN has always been considered redneck "like the whole true traditional scene.."
There are those who take offence to a remark like that. Maybe you would like to re-think it?
You gave reference that "New Country" gets slammed from the "rednecks". I wonder, who is slamming who?
Mike, I'm with you!

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 23 September 2000 at 02:49 AM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 23 September 2000 at 02:55 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 4:10 am    

Dave,
I guess I was trying to express what Paul just said. Thanks Paul!

Theresa

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 4:37 am    

Theresa,
it seemed to have taken Paul an awful lot of words in this topic to explain what you said. When you call the "whole true traditional scene"(as you said)"redneck" you are covering a lot of territory as well as a lot of people who worked real hard at doing something they really loved! Of which, "we all" benefit today!

Franklin

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 4:43 am    

Dave,
Theresa is a true redneck :rollingeye: She absolutely supports the old along with supporting the new.

I guess after a year or so of the offensive remarks I've read pointed in her direction, all because she defends the new music against the rest slamming it, I'd say she's earned throwing an offensive slam back at them.:rollingeye:

IMO, ofcourse I know Theresa extremely well, she was being facetious (sp?) about the "redneck" and "true traditional" part of her statement. She ofcourse can speak for herself.

As a side note,
I don't know too many of Theresa's friends that I could say aren't rednecks. :rollingeye:
Paul

[This message was edited by Franklin on 23 September 2000 at 06:26 AM.]

[This message was edited by Franklin on 23 September 2000 at 10:24 AM.]