The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Set -um up Joe and play walking the floor
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 3:19 pm    

I heard this song today, and was very impressed with the steel sound. This is probobly not the title, but this has a good old time feel to it, and great vocals.If anyone knows the artist and album I would appreciate the information.
Thanks,
Lefty

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 3:27 pm    

Vern Gosdin on the Chiseled in Stone album. Make sure you have the suicide hotline phone number handy when listening to that CD.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 3:35 pm    

I forgot to mention that the credits list Sonny Garrish and Big Jim Vest as the steel players. I would wager to say that Big Jim played on that cut.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2000 3:38 pm    

Big Jim Vest played steel on it using an altered tuning: he lowered the low B (string 10,standard E-9th) down to F# to get that unique sound.

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2000 5:56 pm    

Peter is correct. I am acquainted with Jim Vest and have seen him perform this lick a number of times. If I am not mistaken, this record was cut at the small (but very good) Soundsmith Studio at Hendersonville TN. The engineer there is excellent. Vern Gosdin cut a lot of sessions there. Vest is a very fine steeler, plays a Derby. Tim R.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2000 7:09 am    

IMHO, maybe one of the best country songs ever.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2000 11:31 am    

I could be wrong, but I think that great tune is also on his "Ten Years of Hits".

I have that one on CD and Chizzled ... on tape. Perhaps I've got them confused, but I also love that song.

------------------
HagFan

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 8:10 pm    

I love that slinky note Mr. Vest plays on "This Ain't My First Rodeo", at the end of each verse part, wuh-o-wuh-o-wuh...Then Vern punches it and the whole band slams in a big dynamic "hit". I'll bet those were some enjoyable sessions to work on.
Good stuff, Maynard.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 9:59 pm    

From the first time I heard that song I loved the steel.The break was driving me crazy. I solicited opinions. One guy said it was on C-6th, another thought it was a 12 string E-9th. Finally one day I located Jim's phone number and he revealed his secret. Not only that he made me play him the break over the phone after he told me about the tuning trick. Talk about a nice guy!. It's one of those stories I love to tell because Jim had not idea who I was but took the time to teach it to me...Pete.

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 11:55 pm    

BTW, Jim Vest is one of those very excellent pro players who use the Day setup on the pedals. He had me to sit down to his Derby a few years ago so I know. As I have the flattest flat feet known to the human race, rocking my left foot to the right is very difficult so I wasn't able to play his guitar, but I will tell you that it is a LICK-INVENTING TONE MACHINE when he gets to romping on it! Big Jim is one of the most common ordinary likeable fellows you will ever meet in this business and he does not let his great talent go to his head. Tim R.