The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '36 bakelite Rickenbacher...pickup problem solved!
Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 5:05 am    

Thanks to all...especially Jason! The problem with weak output on the lowest string was indeed the polepiece. I removed the pickup and disassembled it. With a nail set, I gently tapped the backside of the polepiece until it moved out alittle more, putting it closer to the string. When I put it all back together, the brilliance and definition I was looking for from my lowest string was there!
Boy, these old horseshoe pickups sound great but they're fussy about how they're adjusted.
1/32" closer or further away makes the diff between articulate twang or slightly muffled woof! Now that I know, I'll probably tweak it one more time for even better string balance..but for now, I'm having a ball playing the best lapsteel I've ever owned. Thanks a million to everyone who helped! Lew

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 5:38 am    

Congratulations Lew! Waiting for my Ric parts to be re-chromed makes me feel like a kid waiting for Santa.

By the way, how do you know it's a 1936? What's your serial number? Mine is B 577. The pickup says "pat. pending," which dates it pre-August 10, 1937.

All the best,

Bob

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 6:28 am    

So true Bob,

Unless one has the original receipt (or similar documentation), dated, there is NO known way to ascertain when a Rick was made.

The records were not kept. And as such NO one knows. The only thing we know is that on the day Rickenbacher got the patent on the PU issued, they immediately stamped the patent number on the magnet mounting plates on all Ricks after that date.

Adolf faught with the US patent office with every thing in him. He was bound and determined to get that patent. And it was, in fact, issued on August 10, 1937.

So these claims of 1934, 35, 36 etc are just not verifiable. Same with ones with the patent number. No one knows without having first hand knowledtge such as a sales receipt, when a give Rick was built. Just no way. There was never any correlation between serial numbers and dates back then.

take care,

carl

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 8:40 am    

I believe that some of the early Ricks can be dated (approximately) by the existence or non-existence of the volume control, then later the tone control was added and then we're looking at location; earlier models with tone and volume have these on opposite plates and later models having both controls on the plate to the right of the pickup.

I have compiled following information found on the web. Those who know (or believe to )... please check below and let me know ( jaydee@bellsouth.net ) of any corrections necessary.
quote:
  • 1935 Model B introduction specs:
    Bakelite body and neck, horseshoe pickup, magnet 1 1/2" wide, knurled adjustment nuts on pickup, 1 octagonal knob on treble side, strings anchor thru body, 5 decorative chrome plates, bolt-on neck with integral molded frets.
  • 1937 Model B specs:
    2 rounded knobs with arrows, knobs on opposite sides, frets outlined in white.
    After 08/10 1937 "patent pending" changes to US patent number on pickup mounting plate.
  • 1938 Model B specs:
    Knobs on same side, 7 and 8 string models available.
  • 1940 Model B specs:
    Plates painted white or black.
  • 1946 Model B specs:
    Magnet 1 1/4" wide, chrome tailpiece, Phillips head pickup adjustment screws, metal insert in neck, T-shaped aluminum logo plate.
  • 1949 Model BD specs:
    Deluxe "BD" version with metal peghead cover.
  • 1955:
    Model B discontinued.
  • 1971:
    Model BD discontinued.

It was my believe that 7-string versions were already available in 1937(?).

I intend to put up a web page dedicated to the Rickenbacher bakelite laps as well as their "frypans". So, if you have pictures, stories or information (also about repairs and parts), please jaydee@bellsouth.net or post here.

Thanks!

------------------
jaydee@bellsouth.net

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 3:49 pm    

JD,

Many Ricks had volume and tone pots changed moved, installed and deleted all thru their manufacture and later. I have a pre Aug 10-37, 7 string Rick with both controls on one side. They were never manufactured that way.

Jerry had them reversed (tone on top-volume on bottom), so he could get the Boo-Wah sound on some models by wrapping his little finger around the tone control. As he did all of his volume pedals. On his pedals, the sound gets softer as the volume pedal is lowered.

Crazy huh? But that is what he has always done.

take care,

carl

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 3:59 pm    

An other question that's hauting me is about the necks: Most I've seen have their neck "bolt on" to the main body. However, I also believe to have seen some that where made out of one integral piece.... (?)

------------------
jaydee@bellsouth.net

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 4:42 am    

Sounds like mine is a '37...not a '36. Mine has the volume and tone controls on opposite plates. Actually, the tone control really gets in the way of my right hand...it's obvious why they moved it to the lower bout. Makes damping difficult. So I removed it for now and filled the 3/8" hole with a removable, snap in chrome plug. Since the guitar came to me with only one knob (arrow on top) it actually looks better to me with the chrome plug and just the volume control...which seems to act as a tone control anyway! Turning the volume down a few steps doesn't seem to reduce any volume...just highs! Sounds just like what you described Bob. Thanks again, Lew