The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Coffee Drinking Night Hawk
Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 5:28 pm    

It was in the spring of 1963 I had this terrible job working in a plastic factory: one night lying in bed with an aching back about 11:00 the most ethereal radio program rolled into New Haven Connecticut from WWVA. The radio show was hosted by Lee Moore the a forementioned nighthawk. The theme song of the program was Lady of Spain by Alan Sheldon or I'll Be All Smiles Tonight by Deacon Bromfield. They sold baby chickens(sex not guaranteed) and harmonica lessons by Wayne Rainey. They played Polka Dots and Polka Dreams and for three hours every night they made my dreary world go away. It's what made me love country music.....Pete

Kathryn Sabey

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 5:53 pm    

What a wonderful story.

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 9:17 pm    

Pete, I could be mistaken but, I think Lee played Lap Steel. His wife, Juanita, also sang with him on occaision.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 4:19 pm    

I never heard Lee's show, but the same older brother that turned me on to Haggard always loved to talk about WWVA and "Coffee-Drinkin' Lee Moore".

My brother was in college in the years Pete mentioned. Imagine that, an Ivy Leaguer listening to WWVA.

------------------
HagFan

Catus Jack

PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 6:39 pm    

I played in a band that back Lee Moore a few times years ago. He sure was a nice person to work with. The one song the people kept asking him for was " The Cat came Back"

Catus

[This message was edited by Catus Jack on 26 March 2000 at 06:50 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 3:19 am    

I just worked a job Saturday night with Billy Tarr. He was in the Wheeling staff band way back and worked the road with Hawkshaw Hawkins. He's got a lot of road stories about Wheeling.

Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 6:32 am    

Right on Pete and the sales pitch went something like this; "Folks, Send your money in care of this radio station to Baby Chicks, that's B-A-B-Y C-H-I-C-K-S , Baby Chicks, and we will get them right out to you." I spent a lot of Saturday nights listening to WWVA. I was at the Capitol Theatre a couple of years ago to see Loretta Lynn and they still do their radio show live from there, Doc Williams had a store right across the street, he may have passed away by now, he has to be getting up in years.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 8:49 pm    

I also had the pleasure and it was a great pleasure to work behind Lee at Lime lake in New youk State south of Buffalo and that was when country Stars was really country stars. And yes the cat came back was the big thing then I THOUGHT HE WAS A GOONER BUT THE CAT CAME BACK CAUSE HE WOULDN'T STAY AWAY. ok Kenny you sing the rest

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 10:55 pm    

Bill, I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten the words but...I can remember this picture and if you ever had the pleasure of listening to him you can surely relate...

Folks that was Wayne Raney playing for you on the harmonica. If you want to learn how to make all the sounds like the race between the Model "T" and the "Freight Train" and the "Fox Chase", you need to order Waynes booklet on "How To Play The Harmonica" for only $2.95 plus postage and this order also includes a quality harmonica. You can be making those very same sounds we heard just a few minutes ago, but you must hurry and get your order in as this Special Offer expires at midnight Friday night!!!! Send your order to:

Harmonica
c/o Lee Moore
Radio Sta. WWVA
Wheeling, W.Va.

Then you would hear him stirring his coffee as the spoon would clink against the cup and he would then take sip with a loud "slurp". That was "Coubtry Music" at its best.

------------------

rmason

Caracas, Venezuela
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2000 3:45 am    

"This offer's only good in continental USA."

I remember Lee. I also have sweet memories
of those late nights in the mid-fifties when
I was in Junior High and could pull in WWVA
and WCKY with the little Emerson I earned
with my Evening Star (Wash., D.C.) paper
route. With the two-finger C and one-
finger G7 I learned from my older brother on
his $12.00 Stella and the Complete Git-tar course and song book from a Wayne Raney offer
on WCKY I was on the road to earning tens of
dollars. Soon I moved up to a $27.00 Harmony
(because them f-holes looked so much cooler
than the Stella.)

First time I heard Elvis was when Wayne
played "Baby Let's Play House."

Doc Williams, of course, also had a late
night show in those days. He would back up
his record intros, baby chicks and guitar
course pitches, and maybe even the news, with
chords on his guitar. It had a tone so true
and clear; it still rings in my ears.

I could even get Waterloo, Iowa and Del Rio,
Texas from D.C. in those days. I think all
that wee hours, distant radio may be what
turned me into a night person and "ramblin'
man" (here you may choose either the Luke
the Drifter or Waylon version).

Thanks for the thread.

------------------
Rod Mason

Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 8:42 am    

When I hear "baby chicks" then I have to think of the super powerful one million watt station in Del Rio, Texas in the fourties and fifties.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 12:07 pm    

Kenny do you remember the old learn to play the guitar sales you got the guitar, the pick, and the song book, the cord chart and the string to hold it around you neck and I believe it was 19.95 for the whole kit and kabudle, or Chew Mailpouch them were the good ole days, and also the bands from the Wheeling Jamboree use to come around to the schools and man that was a big deal and maybe just maybe some one will remember Smokey plecher who was with Doc Williams for many years that was when they could tell funny jokes and the folks went crazy now they only time they are intertained is when some one is bleeding or getting stabed or shot. OH! for the good old days

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 12:55 pm    

Bill, yes I remember very well. My best friend had an older brother that was working as a sewing machine mechanic in one of the 2 garment factories (made shirts) in my hometown. This was about 1944 (during WWII). He ordered the $19.95 package just as you described. My friend and I would sit up 'til midnight everynight while he studied the "learn how to" book. If he ever left the room, my friend would grab the guitar and try to duplicate what he saw his brother practice. Of course I never got the opportunity to hold the guitar but I did have a good memory. And that was the beginning of my "wanting to learn how to play" which has kept me busy still "wanting to learn how to.." even to this very day. Yes I also remember Doc and Chickee Williams and the "Border Riders". I recall "Crazy Elmer" and Hawshaw Hawkins, the Hawk of the West Virginia hills. His biggest song while performing at the WWVA Jamboree was "Rattle Snaking Daddy". There was 2 girls that sang duets from Bluefield called the "Radio Rangerettes", there names were MIllie Wayne and Bonnie Baldwin. They had the vocal clarity of Chickee Williams and the Harmonies were out of sight. That was the "good old days" and you had to be there to really fully appreciate what you and I are talking about.

------------------

Vern Kendrick

Earth
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 5:10 pm    

I grew up in Buffalo,I remember Lee moore Hardrock Gunter,Wilma Lee and Stoney,Hawkshaw,My late friend Ace Richman and the Sunshine Boys,I got to play there years later with Little Jimmy Dickens at the old Capitol Theater,I've played the opry ,but I think I was more impressed with Wheeling.....

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 10:17 pm    

I too remember Lee Moore very well. I was born and raised in the hills of New York City. I remember listening to WWVA in the middle of the night with Lee Moore. Somehow through all that static and fading in and out I grew to love country music. In NYC there was 1 radio station in Newark, NJ that played country music, WAAT with Lyle Reid. This was in the early fifties. Years later I played the WWVA Jamboree with Dave Dudley, and then a few years later with Faron. The thrill of playing the Jamboree was as thrilling as when I played the OPRY.
Richard

------------------

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 12:53 pm    

Does anybody remember Molly O'Day (Tramp On The Street) and Deacon Bromfield (great Dobro artist)? I have a friend named Johnny Jackson that plays lead/rythm guitar, fiddle and dobro that worked with Deacon and his gang for a while. There are two well known fiddlist now playing in Nashville that came out of WWVA Jamboree, Buddy Spicher and "Tater" Tate. Jimmy Crawford came to Nashville wtih Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper. Josh Graves was also amember of Wilma Lee and Stoney's Clinch Mountain Clan.

------------------

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 4:44 am    

Lee also played the dobro. It was amazing just how much coffee he actually drink during his air shift. (LOTS)

Doc Wiliams is alive and well at age 85, still living in Wheeling. As most people know, Chickee had a massive stroke two years ago and remains in a health care center. Doc played a show date last December in Youngstown Oh. He told me it was the first time that he'd done a solo in over 40 years. On some dates after Chickee's stroke, their daughter Karen, played with Doc. She too is a fine person. Doc sold his store but still stops by often when there is a Jamboree show since many of his fans look for him there.

The dobro on the Jamboree was always popular and as a result, to this day, when you work dates in the area that they covered, the older crowd really reacts well. The radio signal went north and north east, which is were most of the acts played dates as a result. Southern-central PA and NE Maryland was about the southern most limit. Most dates were in New York state, New England and Canada.

I backed "Snap and Ginger", later called "Slim and Ginger" for a few years and I was amazed at their following from the 1950s Jamboree crowd.

Shot Jackson also played Wheeling with his wife Donna Darlene.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 8:56 am    

F.Y.I.
Unfortunately,Lee Moore passed away several years ago in a nursing home,in upstate N.Y.
I had the pleasure of knowing & working along side Lee when I worked the Jamboree ('65-'6Cool.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 10:41 am    

We visited Wheeling W.Va last May , as part of a trip that took us to Myrtle Beach S.C., Louisiana , Texas and Branson MO . The trip was planned so we would be there on a Saturday night ,to see Terri Clark at the Jamboree . That afternoon we went to what used to be Doc Williams' store across from the Capitol Music Hall , and to our surprise and delight , there was Doc with his guitar , strumming away , singing a few songs and selling his tapes. We've seen Doc many times on his tours to Nova Scotia and always enjoyed his music . I remember listening to WWVA as a youngster--the station could be heard here late at night and hearing artists like Hal Lone Pine , Big Slim the Lone Cowboy , Dusty Owens and Cousin Jody before he played with Lonzo and Oscar on the Opry .It was great to be in the old Capitol Music Hall whic was the home of the Wheeling Jamboree for may years

------------------
Keith DeLong