The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The look of Country
ryome

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 9:54 pm    

A few weeks ago I posted a topic about the characteristics of the sound of Country music, but what about the visual aspects? What does a country band look like? What is one likely to see when seeing a Country band? Are there certain characteristics that set it apart from other musical styles?
Thanks for responding,
Ryan

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2000 12:31 am    

Uh oh !!!!!! Things are starting to get a little blurry, now !!

We're all gonna get a free copy of this book you're writing, aren't we.

Used to be, we all wore something that was decidedly country, but now, it seems that anything goes. And I have to tell ya, I don't always follow the rules either.

There are many nights that I wear a "T" shirt, and tennis shoes.....but........for the showcase kinda gigs I always wear a button down shirt, and tightly starched Wranglers. You know, the "cowboy" look !!!!!

Some gigs are just comfortable, and not too unlike being on your back porch, so one can get away with being a little more than casual. However, like all else, there's a time and a place, and in the venues that seem to demand finer attire, I do the "cowboy" thing.

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2000 9:00 am    

Dress where you feel comfortable,don't use the words Rythum,Rangers,Wranglers,Cowboys or Sounds in the bands name and last don't use anything black on one or more of your front teeth. Ray

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2000 8:44 pm    

We need to follow Porter to his dress shop and get some Xmas colored lights on our gig clothes.If the playing is bad will anyone care cause we look country?

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 8:07 am    

Andy how right you are.I've heard the worst bands you can hear but they dress pretty.Then hear a great band and not one word about how good they play but how well the derss.Ray

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 9:09 am    

At one time every band had to have "band uniforms" and mostly on a western motiff. Anymore it seems that a lot of them, including some big name road bands, pretty much are free to wear almost whatever they want.

If you're doing traditional country I doubt if you'd see someone with spiked hair or dreadlocks, but who knows with some of the pop/rock "country" bands.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 4:53 pm    

I hate it when people play the Opry wearing a t-shirt and old jeans. No respect.

Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 5:05 pm    

Bobby Lee,
I agree. I was so proud of Vince Gill on the award show a couple of years ago: He had a hair cut and wore a suit. Classy!

------------------

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 10:11 pm    

Not that I have anything new to add, but One makes a judgement with their ears that makes them want to go and see the artist in person. I know I have gone to a few shows and couldn't concentrate on the playing because my mind was telling me " these guys look like they crawled out from under a rock." I remember thinking " I wouldn't dress like that to cut my grass and work in the garden." I miss the uniform days when bands not only sounded sharp, they Looked sharp. JMO

Mark Tomeo

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 12:40 pm    

I'm from the "over-the-top" school of dress - I think Porter generally looks just about right and I always encourage my band mates to overdress. My rule of thumb on this has always been: a civilian ought to be able to walk into the venue when the band's on a break and know immediately who the musicians are by the way they're dressed.