The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Morrell Lap Steels
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2000 2:16 am    

I'm mainly a "pedaler", but am thinking about picking up an 8 string lap.
Since I will probably not be able to find a beat up cheap Fender Deluxe 8, I've been looking into new steels.
Does anyone know anything about Morrell lap steels?

[This message was edited by P Gleespen on 02 June 2000 at 03:41 AM.]

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2000 5:44 am    

I've got a 6-string Morrell (a student model, I think) and it's fine for learning, but not so great in terms of tone. I've never played their 8-string...I think that one's called the Little Roy Wiggins model.

I have a Melobar Tomahawk 8-string, and I love it. I've got the old version of the Tomahawk (lipstick p/u, narrower string spacing). Melobar has upgraded the Tomahawk line with a better p/u and wider string spacing, and you may do well to look into that model. The Morrell 8-string may be comparable to the old version Tomahawk (I believe it has a lipstick p/u), but I have no experience playing one.

John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2000 11:34 am    

I've got a Morrell (regular) 8 & a Lil' Roy W. model. The regular actually sounds a little better than the Roy model which is has a natural clear finish maple and mighty pretty. My opinion is they're entry level. Tone is nothing to write the girls back home about. I'm thinking about reworking the Roy model with a Fender S/M repro pickup or a Lawrence, solid brass bridge & nut (thanks to Ricky's idea) and make it string thru. I suspect it won't sound any worse. I'd recommend you put the money into something a step up. I'd make you a good deal on my regular 8 (red color), if you're interested. jh

[This message was edited by John Hanusch on 02 June 2000 at 12:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by John Hanusch on 02 June 2000 at 12:46 PM.]