The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnson Dobro
Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2000 9:32 pm    

I seen a Johnson resonator guitar (Dobro). Has anyone seen or played one? If so how are they rated?
Thanks .....Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 06 May 2000 at 10:44 PM.]

gerry szostak

windsor,ca,
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 1:05 am    

The guitar in question is a cheap Korean knock-off. If you are serious buy a better guitar.If you are just checking out the posibilty of playing a resonator guitar it will do. The tone is somewhat lacking.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 3:28 am    

Here's what rsonator maven, Bob Brozman had to say about Johnson guitars in the Sept/Oct '99 issue of Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine:

"I don't care for them (less expensive resonator guitars) especially the Johnsons, which are made in China under typical 3rd world labor conditions - possibly by children, and certainly at unconscionable wages. The idea of relatively wealthy Americans "playing their blues" on a guitar made in this way troubles me morally."

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 7 May 2000 4:49 am    

I have owned a Johnson and mine was a well made Dobro that was a fine deal for the money.I played it during my gigs and it got alot of attention.I finally sold it to a guy who had to have it.You might want to drop a Quarterman Setup into it.Many do and love the great sound they get from it.Johnsons are introducing new players to the world of steel guitar.I am glad that they are a good deal.Fender has a new Dobro out also that looks and sounds fine.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 9:34 am    

Keep in mind that Brozman was talking about the metal bodied Johnsons being made in China. The wood jobs are made in Korea by the same Company that makes Regals.

BTW I gotta hand it to Bob on the Chinese connection. It's bad enough that all the worthless Disney figures (wouldn't 'ol Walt love that) that come in my kids happy meals are made there.

mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 10:03 am    

Joe
I've got a Johnson round neck Dobro copy.
I put a nut extender on it & it sounds great
Mick

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2000 9:25 am    

Personaly I think its great that Korea and Japan have gotten in the Reso industry. Alot of the american instruments were way over priced, because you couldn't find anything else. The inexpensive instruments today do more for promoting the steels than any player or american company has done. I also don't think that you are as limited on a inexpensive slide guitar as you are other stringed instruments. A Jap guitar is hard to play but a Jap Reso plays the same as any. It may not sound as good, but !!!!

I own a Korean Reso and love to play the blues on it. If I could afford a high dollar reso, I probably wouldn't have the blues

You want a great guitar for a great price... Call Ted Smith! He's got the ticket now.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 11 May 2000 5:01 pm    

Elderly Instruments has a brand new Johnson Dobro for $275.00.Regals are $325.00.Fender's new Dobro that is really hot is $400.00.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 12 May 2000 6:11 am    

I fail to see what is so "hot" about Fenders new Dobro? It is the same thing as a Regal excepting the stupid looking, and potentially weak, "F" holes.

Get whichever one of these brands is cheapest (providing the particular example is cosmetically OK) and then spend a few bucks for a Q-man cone and bone nut. You'll be pretty happy while you save up for a upgrade and you'll do OK on resale. At least that's the way it worked out for me with my Regal

[This message was edited by Mike D on 12 May 2000 at 07:16 AM.]

CHUCK BRATTAIN

BALCH SPRINGS, TEXAS USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 10:29 am    

We sell the Johnson dobros in our store they are made in Korea like the Regal. We have had good luck with them, if they are adjusted right they have a good loud tone, we sell them for $250.00.

Have a Great Day, Chuck

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 31 May 2000 2:48 am    

Just got a new Regal.This dobro is really loud and the craftmanship is perfect.If you are looking for a very nice dobro that has good volume and tone check out the Regals.I hate to admit it but my 1.500 Dobro brand Dobro built in the U.S. does not sound as good.