The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Musicians and Alzheimer Disease
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2000 6:52 am    

My wife, an avid newspaper and magazine reader alerted me to a new medical finding...

Medical research has found that muscians tend to have fewer cases of Alzheimer disease. Scientists believe that the mind-body (i.e. fingers) link that is constantly being stimulated in musicians exercises the brain and keeps it alive and healthy.

Also the act of learning new songs maintains a healthy brain. This one I believe... Learning a new song is similar to figuring out a puzzle. Puzzle solving keeps the brain healthy.

I belong to the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association as well as the Aloha International Steel Guitar Club. These organizations have many active members who are well into their 70's and 80's. These people are engaged in life and are always striving to get better on their instruments and learn new music.

What activity 'deadens' the brain faster than anything? You guessed it. Hours and hours of TV viewing.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2000 8:32 am    

Interesting info Gerald.

My own experience is that I have a hard time remembering tunes that I learn these days. This goes for stuff off albums and original music that I'm playing in a band. I have no problem remembering any song I learned as a teenager (Secret Agent solo note for note? No problem...). I practice way more now then as a kid, and I still have this problem.

I find it *very* frustrating.

-Bill

PS I can't remember what night or channel any show is on either, except for "King of the Hill" which I make a point of watching every Sunday at 7:30 on Fox (shameless plug for the best show on TV).

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 25 May 2000 9:47 pm    

Ya know,I used to....uh...used to....

NEVERMIND !!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 26 May 2000 2:33 pm    

Gerald,Interesting,but not true in my Dad's case. My Dad is 72 years old & started playing at age 13. He's been living with us since my mom passed away and the one thing I thought would help(his steel)seems to be a lost cause.He can't put the strings on,tune it or much of anything rather than a few slides then he gets frustrated and quits. It breaks my heart to see my hero in this condition.If it wasn't for my Dad I wouldn't be playing steel today.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 May 2000 3:19 pm    

I, too, can recall note for note, many of SPeedy Wests, Billy Robinson and JB's tunes from back in the 40's. I have a very difficult time trying to recall a single current c/w vocalist's name. Probably 'cause I don't care for any of them. I'm having difficulty recalling enough of a song to kick it off these days......but then....
Maybe, I just don't want to remember a lot of this modern noise. I was going to share something else with you but I forgot what it was.