Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 1:28 pm    

Jimmy C. Newman, Riders In The Sky, Sawyer Brown

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 6:40 pm    

As you might expect the only act I appriciated was Riders In the Sky.
however i did enjoy the backstage feature on
Mandy Barnett.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 7:41 am    

I had an early gig and then I went to suffer through watching Sleepy John play so I haven't got to watch the tape yet but I think I'll enjoy Sawyer Brown. Sometimes a little trivia about an act helps people to look at them in a different light. Just watch Sawyer Brown's lead Guitarist (Duncan Cameron) the next time you see them. I remember Duncan from my Los Angeles days. He plays lead with a thumbpick and fingerpicks which some might think is peculiar but when you know Duncan you don't think so! Unknown to most people is the fact that he's also a very fine pedal/lap steel guitarist and also a 5 string b@njo picker. Sometimes it helps to look at some of the individuals instead of the whole group. This guy can play anything with strings and do it like any instrument he plays was his primary one! I was fortunate to see him in the clubs of Southern California for a long time and it was an enjoyable experience.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 8:37 am    

As was stated on another post, no steel tonight. Jimmy C used a steel years ago, I wonder why he quit using one?

As far as The Riders in the Sky, they all seem to be excellent musicians, however since I tape the Opry I can fast forward through them.

Sawyer Brown, sort of like the Riders in the Sky, the musicians may be talented but I'm not a fan of their style. (Who told the lead singer he could sing?).

One thing that I don't understand. The televised portion should be the "showcase" for the Opry to promote it'self, but many times the televised portion is not the strongest 30 minutes of the show. Lets face it, the TV show is really a promotion to sell tickets to the opry, and if it's not filled for every performance like it used to be then the TV portion is partially to blame (along with the other ways Gaylord and the Opry managment have found to shoot themselves in the foot).

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 1:33 pm    

I watched 10 minutes and thanked god I had control of the clicker. I went back to COPS,they had better picking last night. Picking up Junkies. Just thought I'd add did anyone notice the diference in atmosphere between the Ryman and the Opryland complex.Everyone seemed to be looking for a lurking Fish-er.

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 06 February 2000 at 01:35 PM.]