The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  the "Nashville Showcase"
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 2:10 pm    

Again this week I was approached by someone who could hardly wait to give me the great news.....
We have an area singer, who does possess some degree of singing talent (imho). Somewhat lacking in experience/stage presence/ general musical knowledge, this person has has been severely over-encouraged by well meaning people who just don't know, (You're going to be the next Patsy Cline, blah blah blah..). The news was, the singer is going to Nashville to participate in a "showcase".
Now, before I go further, some clarification. I know lots of you folks live near (or in) Nashville. Well, it's a long way from here, and people have a mystique built up around it that makes me chuckle. Some seem to think that merely having been there is worthy of inclusion on their resume... The talk would make you envsion city gates with border guards, to whom you must demonstrate some outstanding artistic ability before you are granted admission to the hallowed city.
When I asked my friend some details about the "showcase", he didn't know just where, or for what/whom it was... but that didn't dampen his enthusiasm that it would be a springboard (or trampoline!) to fame for the singer. I forced a weak smile and wished them the best.
So, all you Nashvillians (?), am I a cynical guy? Might this "showcase" be roughly the equivalent of sucking in free talent for a venue?
Pie in the sky, or pie-in-the-face?
-John

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 3:26 pm    

Everyone I know who ever did that spent a lot of money doing it, and they are not famous yet. I think that there is a big demo industry in Nashville that serves out-of-towners with high hopes. I'm not saying it's a rip-off - people do get their money's worth - but I have never heard of anyone who became a "star" by going that route either.

At one point I got stung by it, though. I spent something like 6 months working up an act around an attractive girl singer. Her husband was going to open a club, and we were to be the house band and back up his wife. Well, one day they decided to go to Nashville and make a record. When they came back, they played it and I heard Buddy Emmons playing the steel. I suddenly realized that Buddy made more money playing that demo than I had made in 6 months of rehearsals with those folks.

Nothing against Buddy, of course. He did a good job. But the bottom line was that some Nashville hucksters had convinced them that she "has what it takes" and they should come back again and make some more demos. The club opening was cancelled. Nashville grabbed the golden goose right out from under our noses. The band never even did one gig in public.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Danny Bentley

Hendersonville Tn
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 6:27 pm    

That sounds like A friend of mine B0B. They asked him to come to Nashville and cut a demo. He cut 2 songs. They called about a month latter and said he was going to be the hottest thing in the country and all it was going to cost him was 12,500$.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 4:23 am    

If you have to pay, 99.999% of the time forget it. If they really want you and think you have potential a record company will pick you up and give you a contract.

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 6:06 am    

#1- Ask the promoter "who have you recorded that had a hit record?' #2Check theNashville Better Business Bereau 615-242-4222 to see if they have had complaints. #3 Check Sec of State 512-463-5555 and tax dept #615-741-2594 and see if they are "legal" Hire an attorney to check out the contract. I spent 12 years in Nashville and "BEWARE" if you should have question call me at 1-800-749-3363 Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 6:19 am    

Hey Bob you got welcomed to the real world in a hurry and believe me you aint the first and you won't be the last. Remember the big names played the B and C line before they got to play as A line musician. Over the years I have met a lot of people with big dreams and some cash who went to Nashberg to make it big time. But I have also met them when they came back broke not only of cash but the dreams were broke also. And there is a saying if it sounds too good to be true it usally is

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 6:47 am    

Several years ago a fellow sent me a song titled " Nashville Music City-Heartbreak USA". Before even considering a "Showcase"investigate. Also remember- There can only be 1# 1 record a week and Garth, Shiana and the like are also competing for those hits. Ed Naylor

Bill cole

Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 9:02 am    

Ed. you were around Nashburg it the early 70's there use to be a restraunt up the street from Demon Den toward the Roy Wiggens store it began with an L I think we use to sit in there and watch to see who was going to ask for money for coffee and something to eat. I was one of the luckyer one so I could afford to buy a cup of coffe for some one not so lucky but I have seen a lot that couldn't and that had no place to sleep. Thank god things never got like that for me anyway. Just going back over the old memories now I know why I never looked back when I left the snow aint all that bad

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 9:40 am    

The place you are talking about was Linebaughs. That's where they filmed a movie one time.That also as the story goes the place that Marty Robbins and Roger Miller carried the Juke boxe out in the middle of the street. By the way Bill did you ever meet Kenny Wayne that played Tootsies etc about that time? He died a couple years ago, played I the last show he did in Ohio. Unfortunatly Nashville and Country Music will never be that way again.Ed

Bill cole

Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 10:32 am    

Yes Ed. I knew Kenny and sorry to her that I also knew Billy Stepp who playe across the street can't remember the bar name. Ed if you remember there was a lot that went on in the middle of ole Broadway things that I would bet there are a lot of big names would just as soon forget. That was the place to go to see what your ideal stars really did when they went out to play and Tootsies was the place to see it all. I remember one nite in the alley I think hugh x Lewis club don't just remember but Buddy Emmons was up playing steel in off the road and LLoyd green and 5 or6 other big name steel players were watching and Buddy leaned over to LLody Green while playing 4 wheel drive and not toughing a pedal and said to LLoyd man I aint played in a year we all about pooped right there that man never missed a lick and I ,ust remind any one that was fast but then thats Buddy

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 12:19 pm    

I believe Roger Miller once said "lot of people come to Nashville in a 800.00 car.and go home in a Million dollar bus.Now thats a measure of success.Only the bus is a Greyhound.Another scam is the send your songs to Nashville .

------------------
cjc

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 2:53 pm    

Carl and Pearl Butler had a song out several years ago that seemed to fit pretty well. I believe it was called "Sundown in Nashville".

The tag line was...

Quote:
Each evening, at Sundown in Nashville, they sweep broken dreams off the street.

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 7:47 pm    

Well, how about the other foot, (and maybe in my mouth.) How much are dreams and memories worth?

We got lucky down south and had our Nashville vacation funded by Wild Horse. We got basically the "showcase" package and almost broke even on the vacation. From this bush league player, it was worth every second of practice, all of the nights in the local bars, and any expense we might have had. Donw here in the bush leagues, we're damn proud to have at least made it to town.

Reality didn't take long to set in. You can wander the streets and see player after player that's better than you are. Seek out your heroes, and it's not a different league, it's a different planet. If you go to Nashville and DON'T come away humble, then you weren't paying attention. It's easy to see that it would take years of practice and pain learning your trade to even get a chance for a job in Nashville. But that doesn't stop the dream.

Is there any pride in coming home with your tail between your legs? YOU BET! You probably raised your level of playing with months of practice before you went, and raised it again just by trying so hard when you were there. You come back much better than when you started. And you are richer by far for the memories. You got closer to the dream than you could have ever imagined, probably glimpsed the darker, business side of music, and appreciate those that do make all the more than ever before. Is having all of that in your memories to tell your children and grandchildren about worth a few hundred bucks? I sure think so.

There will always be the guys who are too rash, too conceded, too naive, or just too greedy trashing their careers, their homes, their lives, in a misdirected attempt to be more than they are. There will always be someone there to take advantage of those people and seperate them from their money. But don't assume that those that spend their time and money to chase the dream, or just get a little taste of it, walk away empty handed. For just a little while, these people got to reach out and touch their dreams, to be a star, or professional, or artist or player, if only for a day or an hour. How fortunate can you count those that got that close?

Sure, I know I'll never make it as a pro, I couldn't stand the pain it would take to get to that level. But for one week, I played on the big stage in the Downtown Nashville club, playing my music, watching happy faces tap their toes and scoot their boots just like for any name act. It's a memory I'll have for the rest of my life, and nobody can take that away from me. You might just be surprised at how much that memory is worth to me.

Rookie Player and Proud of it.

Bill cole

Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 8:05 pm    

Paul I couldn't agree with you more as long as you had your week in the spot light and went home with your sences and your wallet in tact. But as Ed. and I are talking for every one who goe's hone like you did there are 10 who don't believe me there is no bed of roses. And yes there are stories of those who made it but like Ed. I have seen the other side of that coin and it aint pretty. It is great that you have the good things to tell your grand kids as do I and I'm sure Ed. has also. But I have seen the booze and the drugs and Broadway was a wild street but it was a fun street or at least for me it was and I remember almost every good time I had there and I also have good stories to tell

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2000 4:24 pm    

Last night I spent the evening at home listening to some old "demos" that I had accumilated over the years. I had several that Randy Albright had given me. He is a great songwriter.I have hundreds of them and some are 100 times better than what is being played today. I would like to see a network started that only played songs by new artist etc.Let the public vote or buy copies. In other words" Let the Public " decide what is good.That would be the real "Showcase". Ed Naylor