The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Y2K Decimates the Music Industry!
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 10:39 am    

Y2K decimates Country Music Industry

Recording Studios in Nashville, Country Music USA, are packed with artists trying to finish albums prior to Jan 1 2000. Y2K fixes have been installed in personal computers, traffic control systems, the military, airlines, and the banking industry, but no one really stopped to think of how large a role computers play in the recording industry.

"It's horrible" says James, a Nashville producer who wishes to remain semi
anonymous, "This could mean the end of Country Music as we know it.".

Is it really that bad? Can a minor computer error actually have that large of an effect on a multi billion dollar recording industry?

"Hell Yes!" exclaims James. "Who do you think is making the music that you hear on the radio? Is sure as hell ain't the artist. Without computers that means no click track. How do you expect a professional country musician to keep time without a click track?" Even worse than the absence of the click track will be the loss of expensive drum machines. "I don't know what we are going to do without drum machines. There are only two or three drummers in Nashville and they don't really work that much anymore. Besides, no
human drummer can recreate the Country Drumming that is performed by drum
machines. Without the drum machine, it just ain't country."

Many performers are scared of the possible effect that the Y2K bug will have on their singing voices. "Now I have to learn to sing", says one award winning artist, "I just don't know if I can do that." In the past, erractic vocals were able to be cleaned up at the flick of a switch. All the computer really needed was the words spoken into it. The compter would then alter the pitch so that every note was perfect. Computer driven audio tracks stored on digital tape and CD would be played at concerts while the artists lip synched and the band mimed playing the licks. "I just don't know if I can handle that type of pressure, actually singing in front of an audience."

"It's the end of my career," moans James. "No more effects loops, no electronic reverb, no sampling no digital playback, no more going in to fix things any more. All of these multi million dollar high tech studios will be useless come New Years Day. After that, all records will have to be cut live to analog tape. There will be no overdubs, no click tracks, no layering, no more fancy effects. It will be just the artist and his music. Who wants to hear that? It's the end of an industry."

Jeff Wall- prospective employee

as well as:
Editor/Publisher/Webmaster/Tyrant
The Twangzine
http://www.twangzine.com

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 11:07 am    

Yesterday we recorded a song for a writer/client who was not in the studio.

The song title was "Y2K".

The guitar player said "Let's just send him a blank tape."

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 3:35 pm    

I can just see every one of you on Jan. 1st...when the realization finally hits you!

Every piece of equipment, every guitar, every amp, every computer, every stereo, every record, every tape, and every CD you own will have been made in the LAST CENTURY!

And at last...I won't be the ONLY ONE who is "behind the times".

Thank you Mother Nature...revenge is sweet!

Randy Reimer

Ardrossan, AB
Post  Posted 27 Nov 1999 1:28 am    

Sure, laugh and joke about it. When the toilet wont flush, your car wont start, your dog wont bark, and your toothbrush breaks - you'll be the first with your back against the wall when Y2K comes.

Simple sliderules will sieze, chopsticks will snap, and push-pulls will lose tone. Paper will tear, wrestling will become respectable, Iceland will be the new world power. Reverb springs will snap, and 011 strings will last years.

Country music will revive, lead by b@njos and accordians. Wierd Al will take Rock to new hieghts, but no ones radios will work, unless you have the Art Bell one - But no radio stations will work.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 27 Nov 1999 5:27 am    

Now you have me really concerned. I hope my Muntz 8-track player doesn't have any embedded chips in it. I'd hate to lose the whole Elvis soundtrack collection I've invested in all my life!
Then the velvet paintings, shot-up television, lunch boxes, and autographed karate robes would lose their value too. As much as it would hurt me to part with all this stuff, I was planning to put the whole thing on Ebay and retire off it.
Shazaam!

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 27 Nov 1999 2:15 pm    

Randy: You have everything right except my Push Pull won't EVER loose it's tone.

Jim Ashton

Malta, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 1999 4:38 pm    

better check your toilet paper to make sure it is Y2K compliant. If its not, it will turn into a 1900 sears roebuck catalog.

Manny Shuffles

st. louis, missouri, usa
Post  Posted 27 Nov 1999 11:42 pm    

does anyone know if a 1977 set of pearl drums has any embedded chips in it? It sure has alot of them on the outside!

Murray Cullen

Irvine, CA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 1999 1:50 pm    

Wow, maybe we'll have to pull out some nice old analog machines to record on. Then everyone would have to actually sing a song almost all the way through (like Patsy Cline did).

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Dec 1999 7:45 am    

Jim.. I don't have to worry about the toilet paper thing. I still use the old catalogs. My family is up to 1924 right now. If we want a real treat, we break out a Spiegel catalog. Now life don't get much better than that.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 1999 4:58 pm    

Speaking of "embedded chips", I got this big jar of cream cheese w/onion dip in the refrigerator, and it has some embedded chips! (ROFLMAO)

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 6 Dec 1999 10:01 pm    

Sure am glad I kept ahold of my old records and record player! Priceless!

------------------
ree-oo-dee-doo