The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kitty Willis?
Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 2:42 pm    

Did watch the GOO Sat. nite and although Kelly did not sound good(real poor choice of a song to do on the opry) she really can sing, having heard her a couple of times. I can say the chances of that song getting it on in HNC is very slim. Maybe she was looking for the folk sound in all of us. I don't think she found it. Pat

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 3:13 pm    

JJ,
So who would you like to see on the Opry?
Theresa

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 5:30 pm    

Theresa,

Unfortunately, the acts JJ would like to see are most likely singing in Hillbilly Heaven. Rest in Peace.

There are so many good talents out there today...if some would JUST LISTEN !!!!

I am totally , thoroughly, absolutely SICK of the MUSICAL BIGOTRY that is demonstrated here...

It is not 1940 it is not 1960 and it is not 1980... It is almost 2000 ....get used to it and open up your doggone ears and you will hear that there are MANY fine talents out there..that perform REAL COUNTRY MUSIC......

ie: Dale Watson, Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson. Vince Gill, and LeeAnn Womack ....

They are Country Performers!!

Now that I have landed a 4 night a week gig I will try not to frequent this constant mud slinging fest at perfectly talented (unnamed) performers....

Sorry but just listen to yourselves.....

LIVE IN THE NOW......Geez

My final ante of $.02

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 6:43 pm    

Just to build a little on what Tim said...

I don’t necessarily need to hear Haggard & Jones, Waylon & Willie, etc. on country radio. I do enjoy hearing many of the young artists that Tim mentioned; I've got CD's by all of them. That’s a pretty fair list and I really appreciate Merle being included in it even though he’s a generation older than the rest. (The reason he’s mentioned is obvious to me ) However, I do worry that it’s more and more difficult for a traditional artist to break through and stay there.

On the other hand, we do have to wade through a lot of undesireable territory to get there these days. I’m not for turning back the clock in entertainment. I can do that on occasions when I desire by playing some of my older recordings.

------------------
HagFan

Porter Fawcett

San Leandro, Ca USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 7:03 pm    

Thanks for the advise Tim. When I finish my morning coffee tomorrow I will go buy a bunch of CD's I don't like. What the heck why should I enjoy life at my age.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 8:05 pm    

[This message was edited by Mike Weirauch on 12-02-99]

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 8:13 pm    

nd could'nt J. Hayes You need Glasses! I have a dog thats Hotter looking than her! Also Tim! How can You put Womack Ahead of McBride?????? I wont bore myself with a lot more that I could add to this subject kr

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 1999 7:46 am    

Congrats on four nights Tim,Now maybe you can quit your day job? Kelly Willis I am sure when people talk about Country music in the 2020 year era will reflect back into her giant repetoire of #1 hits,Just as musicians of that era will ask what was a steel guitar like with country Music? Just as every type of music has changed (not only Country)each era brings in different types of fans.All will change sooner or later. However the past is still the most important ingredient too any change. Same thing with any type of "Forum". If it is all based on one's opinion (mine or anyone else's)it wouldn't draw very much interest. Tim Harrs opinion is no worse or better than anyone who pushes these fun buttons.Only thing he get's pi$$ed off..The best way to hang onto what we have is to support our own choice.I like and have played all,but I prefer Country ,However Jazz ain't too far away.....I just coudn't like or figure out the style of Kelly Willis on the only night I ever heard her perform....that is MOHO.

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 11-17-99]

John Egenes

Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 5:16 pm    

I think Kelly Willis is a tremendous singer, with an ear for a really good song. I didn't see her Opry apprearance, so if she had a bad night, that's a shame.

She's been around awhile, as Herb has said. I think she's one of the really refreshing people in country and/or folk music. I wish there were more singer/songwriters like her.

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 9:08 pm    

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 1999 9:00 am    

now for some dog dating....

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 19 Nov 1999 6:42 pm    

To all : I hope that I do not come across as a complete A$$ when I post my opinions....

I am glad Mike W realizes that is how I can tend to be when feelin a little fiesty.... LOL

But seriously, there are a lot of todays new (traditional)l artists that will keep the influence of their heroes as well as their own music alive for many , many years to come.....

I love all of you guys (gals) here on the forum.....as a matter of fact I have been on this forum since it began way back when it was a topic room on AOL (circa 1992)....

Just dont take me seriously when I tend to lash out ...it wil never be directed to anyone personally with harsh intent.....

Enjoy and keep pickin!

If anyone is going to be traveling thru Indianapolis, IN...PLEASE get in touch with me.

E Mail me ......

Regards,

Tim

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 19 Nov 1999 10:05 pm    

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 7:55 am    

Oops... Well Mike, I know one gig you'll never get Winking

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 4:22 pm    

Tim Harr wrote:
Quote:
I love all of you guys (gals) here on the forum.....as a matter of fact I have been on this forum since it began way back when it was a topic room on AOL (circa 1992)....
Tim, the Steel Guitar Forum was never a part of AOL. There was a similar forum on AOL when I started this one in January 1997. It may or may not still exist - I really don't know.

I just want everyone to be clear on that fact. While most of the AOL steel forum participants are now here, the Steel Guitar Forum is not connected in any way to America Online, and it never has been.

------------------
-b0b- ... click www.b0b.com/products
-System Administrator

John Egenes

Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 4:19 pm    

Quote:
the Steel Guitar Forum is not connected in any way to America Online, and it never has been.

And God bless you for that, Bob. [grin]

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 2:17 pm    

Wow! I did not hear or see the show, but I'm shocked that Kelly would have a meltdown. I guess her nerves got the best of her. I've been a fan of hers for years. I think her new CD is very good. I'm even more shocked that she would even be on the Opry quite frankly. Her music is too alternative for that venue. To put her in the same group as Garth, Tim and Brian is a stretch. They didn't need Kelly's help to screw up country music. Her music is not country that the mainstream listener will ever accept. Just like her husband Bruce Robison, Charlie Robison, Jack Ingram, Pat Green, and the like will never be mainstream country. They all use steel guitar, fiddles and dobro, but also B3 organ, rock guitar, dark lyrics, and incredible live shows with huge audiences. These type artists are springing up everywhere down here in Texas. They are the children of Jerry Jeff, Ray Wylie and Robert Earl, etc. That stuff was not mainstream 25 years ago, and it won't be today or tomorrow, but that's what Texas country has evolved into. I think Kelly has a great, unique voice. Sounds like a poor choice of song and venue for her.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 6:46 pm    

Chris S's comments about what's happening here in TX is right on the money. And Kelly is a wonderful performer, regardless of her GOO appearance.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 7:21 pm    

bOb: 1,000 appologies!!!! I havent been on AOL for YEARS....so I wasnt sure if it was the same.....I did not intend to associate THIS forum with AOL. I only meant (key word here, meant) that I have been corresponding with many of the same players that have frequented the SAME forum sites on the topic of STEEL GUITAR.

Thanks for setting me straight on the AOL thing though...... Many thanx to you sir !!!

T

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 9:27 am    

Apology accepted, Tim.

Herb, you'll forgive me, I hope, for not buying her CD until I hear her sing something I actually like. While I normally trust your judgement, the song that she sang on the Opry and the equally dismal recording of it on the radio aren't pulling the cash out of my wallet. If what you say is true, someone is really messing with her sound.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

John Egenes

Post  Posted 28 Nov 1999 9:32 pm    

Quote:
forgive me, I hope, for not buying her CD until I hear her sing something I actually like.

Bob....trust me. You seem like a pretty open-minded guy, musically. Kelly Willis is really a fine singer with a wonderful bent toward her music. God bless people like her who haven't sold out to the mainstream. And if people in the mainstream don't care to take the time to listen to people like her, well then...that's just their loss, IMO.

Check her out and give her some time to grow on you. If you get the chance, be sure to see a live show. It's not a frenetic, high-powered performance...just a quality singer doing quality music.