The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vince w/ Opry Staff Band!
Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 1999 7:36 pm    

What a guy! On the 8:30 opry show,Vince used the staff band. He sang "Don't Come Cryin".Sounded pretty damn good to me.Guess he had to prove a point. Maybe Vince could be in charge of QA. Hats off to Vince Gill. He sure remembers where he came from. Missed seeing Mr & Mrs Hughey though. Vince,thanks for all concerned.

randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 7:40 am    

Hey Billy... I heard that driving down the road in my pickup truck clear up here in Illinois. That sounded great. I really enjoyed the staff band's take on the whole song. It sure sounded like Vince was having a ball. Were you in attendance? Was that Tommy White?

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 1:38 pm    

Randy, I was on my way home when I heard Vince on the radio but was out there earlier working with Billy Walker. Yes that was Tommy playing. I read another post you wrote asking about Darrel Chappman. I met him in 78 down on lower broadway. He was sure a great player & a super nice guy. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He got shot after the bars closed down there. Another friend of mine,steel player Wayne Kincaid,Was playing one of the bars downthere when some roudy types came in and asked or maybe told the band to play David Allen Coe. The bass player singer said something smart that started it all. They were thorwn out of the bar. Later, after the joints were closing, the roudies saw the band, one had a gun,Darrel got shot, Wayne got hit also but survived.Wayne and I had been working the road together prior to this mishap. He has since passed also. Thats pretty much the story on Darrel, but someone like Richard Bass may know more. I had'nt been here long at the time I met him but he sure made me feel welcome here. Hope that might answer your ??s Billy