The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob Brozman Instructional Video
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 2:58 pm    

I just watched the first 20 minutes of Bob Brozman's video 'Traditional Hawaiian Guitar' and its a real gem. He gets straight down to business and gets a fantastic sound out of his National TriCone.
I got the tape off of Ebay and even though its USA format it still works on my UK TV/Video (albeit in black & white - so I don't get the full benefit of his Hawaiian shirt but I can live with that).

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2000 7:01 am    

I've got all 3 of his bottleneck vid's. They are also excellent. He's such a technically excellent player it can be intimidating but there is alot to learn.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2000 8:56 am    

MICK...You missed nothing when you missed his shirt. Main thing, you probably learned a great deal from his excellent video...I certainly did. I have been very fortunate to have backed him on rhythm guitar on many occasions in Hawai'i and also at conventions. I vividly recall we were doing a cultural show at the Bishop Museum where he absolutely wow'd the Hawaiians in the audience ! It was also my joy to introduce him to his "hero's", the Tau Moe Family of Laie. We had a Sunday afternoon jam session with the Moe's. My wife recorded it... I then sent a copy to Bob, he returned to Hawai'i and with the Moe's, he made that historic lp...the rest is history.
Bob is nothing short of fantastic on steel and ukulele. Great guy also !

mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2000 5:56 am    

Mike
you're right about the intimidating bit - or 'challenging' at any rate. I have to hit the rewind button a lot !
George
that must have been some jam - I must get hold of the record
Mick

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2000 7:00 pm    

I doubt you'll find a copy as it was an lp. If you contact Bob, I am sure he can supply a copy for you. Maybe it is on cd now...(?)The record is super ! I must tell you it is NOT a jam session, but it is a great session and a MUST for any serious Hawaiian collector. When you hear (the late) Rose Moe's voice, absolutely a gem. The record is totally 1929 with 1996 recording equipment. Bob is continually 'on-the-road' all over the world. If you e-mail me, I'll give you his e-mail address.

John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 6:51 am    

I got it on cassette from Elderly instruments
(www.elderly.com) several years ago.