The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Douglas's dobro.....
Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 6:10 pm    

I recently aquired Jerry's video on Homespun and really like the tone he's getting. Is that one made specially for him? Plus I saw that he's amplifying it, but could'nt see what he was using. Anyone know? I know I'll never sound like him no matter what equipment I buy, but I'm always interested in how the pro's get their sound. Besides from their hands!.......Brian

Mac Lloyd

St. George, Utah
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 11:17 pm    

Brian, if it's the same video I am thinking of he talks about the setup of his dobro, at the end of the video. He covers the two pickups and yes the dobro apparantly was made special.

Don't cut yourself too short, keep at it and you can get the same sound. He's a great teacher. You can do it!!

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 6:49 am    

I haven't seen the video, but my first guess would be the Scheerhorn, made by Tim Scheerhorn. It's a great axe and you can find info on Brad's Page of Steel http://www.well.com/user/wellvis/acoustic.html . My second guess would be the Gibson-made Jerry Douglas model Dobro, a good instrument, but nowhere near the punch and tone of a Scheerhorn.

------------------
Pete
www.petegrant.com

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 12:57 pm    

Brian: Is this "Jerry Douglas' Dobro Techniques"? If so, I believe he does discuss the instrument on the video. It's a Jones resophonic he plays here, although I think I recall hearing him say that this guitar is the only Jones instrument he ever really cared for (I believe the wood was processed in a microwave). I think he also talks about the amplification, but his system has changed considerably since this video was made. He was one of the first people to use the McIntyre system, along with a Shure SM-95
in the body, if I remember correctly.

Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 6:24 pm    

Yes Ian, that's the video.Thanks guys. The truth is, I've been working so much on the first part of the video, I have'nt made it to the end!
I hate to admit it, but I've been bitten by the Dobro bug. And the doctor says I'll get better, but I'll never get well!....Brian

[This message was edited by Brian Stear on 03 April 2000 at 07:27 PM.]

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 9:11 pm    

If you keep pickin' it, it'll never heal!

Dave Novak

Ada , MI USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2000 2:43 pm    

Brian, I don't know how far W. Peoria is from Grand Rapids MI. But if your interested in hearing a fine resophonic guitar. Tim Scheerhorn will be performing at the L.T. Zinn W. MI Steel Guitar Show this Sat.
http://www.iprimus.ca/~joesal/hof/zk.htm for
more details.
He will be with another great picker Alan Bates, the rest are peddlers. It's a good time to talk to these makers one on one.

I have that vidio too, and my Dr. said if you want to slow down that tendonitis stop playing fast banjo rolls. Keep at it

John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2000 6:45 pm    

The resonator guitar Jerry Douglas was using for the Homespun vidio was an R.Q. Jones. The last time I saw him, he was using a Tim Sherehorn for most of the set, and a Gibson for one song.