The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  PayPal Scam
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 7:43 pm    

I am allerting all of my pedal steel brothers and sisters to what I have gone thru using PayPal .....

I ordered an item from a vendor that had this item listed on the front page of their internet ad ....They were bragging about the lowest price on the internet ...I ordered using PayPal ...This was 1/20/06 ....2 days later the company sent me an email saying that the item was back ordered, and they did NOT know when it would come in ...I contacted the company and they said that if they knew the item was back ordered , why did they still run the ad ?.....They said they would take the ad down from the internet ad ....They didn't !!
Anyway they agreed to refund my money, so I was happy .....Happy until PayPal now sends me an email telling me that it would take 3 to 4 business days for my money to be returned ....Now I'm not a happy camper ....I have been writing to PayPal back and forth since then ...FINALLY today I get an email that tell's me that my money went to PayPal and they told me how I could retrieve this money , and put it back into my bank account ....I read the instructions on how to deposit the money back to my bank account ....THEY SHOULD HAVE RETURNED MY MONEY TO MY BANK ACCOUNT !!!......NOW they tell me that this returning of money to my back account will take from 3 to 4 business days !!.....SCAM FRIGGGIN SCAM FRIIGGGIN SCAM ..... Don't do business with these crooks !!.... This is a totally underhanded business, and is owned by FLEABAY !!.... I can't tell you how MAD I am at being scammed like this , and there is nothing I can do about it ....Think about this before EVER using this service again !!.... It will be a good 2 to 3 weeks before I see the money that I dished out ..
Thanks for listenning to my rant ...Sincerely, Jim

BTW....Think about how much help Ebay will give you when you have problems getting ripped off using their service ...Once they get their money , they don't want to know you !!.....Word to the wise !!
You can surely trust the members on this forum a lot more than you can trust your items on Ebay !!....

[This message was edited by James Quackenbush on 03 February 2006 at 07:47 PM.]

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 8:38 pm    

I don't like PayPal myself, but I have used it and still do if the money does not matter. However, i will NEVER attach a bank account to it, so i will lose access pretty soon. Same with eBay. If I get burned, it is my fault. I am exposing myself.
Your complaints should also be directed to yourself. After all, you agreed to the terms and conditions of PayPal and eBay. Don't you remember clicking that box? Or didn't you think about what you were agreeing to? Maybe that's the problem?
Take some more responsibility for your own choices.
Personally, I only like to use Amex.

Ron Frederiksen

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 8:40 pm    

Hey James, I just got an e-mail saying some JACK--- in New Jer. trying to buy baseball cards for $300.+ $$ and wants me to send him my acct. info to varify the purchase. Best thing to do is forward the e-mail to---
Spoof@paypal.com They will take care of it.. Ron

"steelin is music to my ear"

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 9:05 pm    

What's Amex?

BJ Jenkins

Dunn,North Carolina
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 9:53 pm    

Sorry that another god person has been snagged by crookedness.
I just contact the N.C. Attorney General and let THEM take care of the BoZo's
Hope that you reach a decent conclusion in your favor.
bj

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 4:51 am    

Actually that is not crooked that is the way all credit card companies work. If you get a CC refund, it takes 3-4 business days to process. Paypal then has to process the money back into your acct., which is your bank's processing time and not Paypal. You are going to get your cash, so it is not a scam.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 5:50 am    

Keith is correct...I deal with PAYPAL alot,and what you experienced is NOT a scam...

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
'39 Regal 37 Dobro
50's Gibson BR-9
Sho-Bud Pro I
40's Vega lap steel
LOTS of 6/12 string guitars & old Fender/MusicMan amps..

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 8:05 am    

I have to agree with Chris and Kieth, before you use these services, you need to know the details of how they work, bet you didn't read all the fine print when you signed up, most of US don't. I have done over 1200 transactions through Ebay, and only had a couple of problems, and those were worked out satisfactorily. I have probably done close to 1000 transactions with Paypal, and had the same results. Both of these are great services and I plan to utilize them for a long time.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Tommy Helms

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 8:05 am    

James,
To me the biggest frustration with PayPal/ebay is the lack of any personal contact to correct a problem. I have bought and sold a lot of musical instruments using ebay, but, I have never bought anything from anyone who did not have a history and a 100% satisfaction rate.
The last couple of steels I have sold have been here and they have been a lot less expensive using the 2.5% donation method and I think the people who bought them were going to use them, not try to profit on them by reselling and I like that.

------------------

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 8:21 am    

It's standard policy that it take 3 to 4 days for the money to be transfered back to your bank account . It's the same way with a bank wire transfer.
I to get fustrated with the also when it comes to claims and the fact that it's really hard to speak to a preson when youhave a problem.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier Whatever D-10 I happen to have at the moment.
EVans FET 500 LV ,ProFex II
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 10:12 am    

I'll also chime in - If you sign up for a service, read the instructions and policies. If you don't like them *later* and didn't bother to read, that's your problem.

Paypal is a tremendous service IMO. It allows those of us who don't run a business to take credit cards, I can keep all my "music money" completely seperate from household funds, and the 3-4 day processing time for bank transfers is faster than the hold a bank often puts on personal checks (10 days sometimes).

There's no scam. You just didn't read the instructions. Man, don't build a gas BBQ, you might blow yourself up!

;-)

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 8:28 pm    

Since this really isn't about a Forum Classified Ads deal, I'm moving the topic to the 'computers' section.

It's easy for a vendor to refund money via PayPal. I do it now and then. payPal is the best way to pay someone internationally. Almost all of my European customers pay via PayPal.

------------------
Bobby Lee
-b0b- quasar@b0b.com
System Administrator
My Blog