The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best dobro for under $1000?
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 4:54 am    

I have to upgrade my dobro and need a new one but have to get one soon for a recording project.

Of course the session will be be miked for recording, but I probably will use it live once in a while, so a model that perhaps comes with a factory installed pickup would be nice, although I'd appreciate comments on this matter also.

Doesn't Melobar make some new type of dobro? Or how about the Dobro brand? Foreign brand copies? Used?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Tony Palmer

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 7:08 am    

I think you have 3 options:

1. Upgrade you current axe with new components and a setup.

2. Look _very_ carefully for an OMI vintage guitar. Play lots of them. Whatever you get should probably have an upgraded nut, saddle and resonator.

3. But a new "Flinthill" from Paul Beard, modified and setup with new components.

Other opinions may vary.

hp

------------------
Howard Parker
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 9:04 am    

I'd like you to try the GB-I Melobro(Melobar), either in Nashville, here in Idaho or LA next week. We have people like Paul Franklin, Jeff Peterson, Ed Ringwald, who are using our older Neeley models for studio work, ask them.
The new GB-I's going out this week are absolutley incredible, nothing has ever come even close. Check with Glen Crain on Jerry Douglas's web site, he just updated from the Neeley to a GB-I Royale, and I know he has a Deluxe 27 Dobro up for sale.
I also can send a rough video that will give you a direct comparison between a Dobro brand and a Melobro.
A Melobro is $875 with a case this month and I'll hang all my reputation that you won't find anything even close. But if you've got to have a Dobro name brand, I have a couple traded in on Melobros on the hotsheet that I'll let go for that price.
You guys know that I don't toot my horn and I'm not trying to here, these fiber guitars are just blowing my mind in how good they sound with the open sound chamber. Two other builders have just started building fiber guitars and I noticed Johnson is building a Graphite version after I talked to one of their builders about it. We feel we are a couple of generations ahead of the competition right now but you will see a lot of fiber resonator guitars in the years to follow. The sound is just that good!

Ted

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 27 March 2000 at 09:08 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 9:39 am    

Ted

Where will you be in LA next week?

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 10:40 am    

I have a new GB-1 coming from Ted, he says it is better sounding than the Neeley I have and that is going to take alot. These Melobro's are just fabulous sounding...and I do not mean 'for the money'. These guitars will sound as good or better or way better than any resophonic made. They record and play live so well, because they are without a doubt the loudest and clearest resonators I've ever heard. Incredible work by Mr. Smith.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 12:22 pm    

Or.....maybe you have 4 (or more) options :-)

------------------
Howard Parker
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 3:27 pm    

**DITTO**
What Jeff and Ted said !!!
I have a Neeley Melobro and still say WOW.
Ted is gonna build me a *NEW* 8 string.
Best to all,
KK

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 7:31 pm    

The Match-Bro played by Buddy Emmons Is only $401.25 including shipping.You can contact him.He is a forum member.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2000 7:53 pm    

Simulators sound like just what they are....simulators. As long as Jerry Douglas isn't in the room, you'd say 'yeah, that kinda' sounds like a Dobro'.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2000 9:27 pm    

3. But a new "Flinthill" from Paul Beard, modified and setup with new components.

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 12:52 am    

I have to agree with Ted. Their fiberglass ( jump on it, spill beer on it, get sick on it, get "L@id on it) Dobro* is amazing. Great tone and volume that'll shake the plaster loose. Freind of mine, Ernie Hunt bought one, and it is more fun to play than his Scheerhorn. Not that there's anything wrong with his Sheerhorn. It's just nice to know that you don't have to worry about dropping the Melobro. Hahaha. I highly recomend it!
Pat
*so sue me Gibson

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 3:52 am    

FENDER has a real nice looking and great sounding Dobro that is around $300.00.They are full and rich in sound.I was amazed at the volume these guitars have.Check them out.The F holes look just like the F in the Fender logo.Wow its a FENDER.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 8:46 am    

Sorry not to get back-on sooner Earnest, Dave Guptill (ProPik man) is now in charge of all of Melobar's sales that go through retail dealers, so I can concentrate on working with the people who buy direct. He's in Los Angelas at (714) 556-8013 and will be available for sound test in that area, Paul Beard and I will have someone set up in New York state next month, and there is one of the original Neeleys now available in Nashville to try out at King Bees-Gary Gilbert at (615)395-0044 I believe there is a guy who asked Gary to hold that for him but you can still play and listen to it.
We're working 12's and 14's to try and catch up and get some available just for trying out, right now I have 37 guitars to build and it just takes time, we're doing the best we can.