The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joaquino on video
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2000 9:06 am    

The thought that I would never have a chance to see Joaquin Murphey in action was more than this man could bare. Prayers answered! A collection of musical interludes from 30's, 40's, and 50's "B" (or "C") westerns is out on VESTAPOL 13089. Titled "Take Me Back To Tulsa". 65% Bob Wills, the remainder Tommy Duncan, Spade Cooley, Smokey Rodgers, Tex Williams and one Hank Thompson. I think most of the video is a throw away, but Joaquin has a solo spot in the Tex Williams number and SOMEBODY HELP ME - I think it's Murph in the last number on the tape (with Spade Cooley), but he is so young and skinny I'm not sure it's him.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2000 4:21 pm    

There's a BUNCH of film on Joaquin.Spade Cooley made quite a few "Soundies" over at Universal around the late 40s early 50s, although Wayne Burdick is the steel player in a lot of them,Murph is in more than his share.A lot,but not all of them,were sidelined-in other words,the band recorded the song first and then lip-synched it on film.Also,many people don't know that they also appeared in a string of singing cowboy movies.You know the kind where the star breaks into song and the band appears on the back of a hay wagon or the corner of a saloon,etc. Murph told me they used to use the band members as extras in crowd scenes and on horseback as well.So some of those "posse chasing the outlaws" scenes feature a galloping Joaquin.Last summer,Jeremy Wakefield loaned me a video of a lot of this material and Joaquin and I sat down and watched it.Murph was very excited to see it and had NEVER SEEN most of it.He finally started to cry and said "I wish I could take my new steel and crawl into that TV and show those guys how I'm playing now" He also told me that he was in a 3 Stooges short where he actually played live instead of sidelining.Bobby Black confirmed that-he had seen it.And he said that the one-of-a-kind D-8 Bigsby LAP steel now owned by Chas Smith-the same one that we passed around at Murph's funeral-was the one Murph played in that film. I sure do miss that man. -MJ-

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2000 6:27 am    

Michael, I think it would have been quite an honor to know Joaquin. There is so much musical history in the older players.(Sounds like good book material????)Anyway,I'm told a bass player from Spade Cooley's band lives about 30 mile from me. I think it's time to meet the man.

[This message was edited by Mike Spaeth on 11 March 2000 at 11:14 AM.]