The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Developing good intonation.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 8:26 pm    

Jeffrey,

A good thing to do is to make a recording of yourself playing. If you are typical, it will probably make you wanna say what so many say after first hearing their own voices on tape. "that does not sound at all lke me!"

Sorry, but it DOES sound just like you! Try it, it will in all likelyhood amaze you. Also if possible make a video of your self playing, with a camcorder. Now it can even be more of an eye opener. Little bad habits that we are not even aware of show up instantly with this approach.

One other thing and this is soo very important. Listen! just simply listen and intonation is SOON to follow.

Walk with Jesus and all things will be good,

carl

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 9:04 pm    

One thing that has helped me is that I have an "A" tone on my metronome that will sound out constantly. I will turn that tone on and play along with it. You can play in several keys as long as the "A" tone is the root; or the third or the fifth or sixth of that key; and you can play anything you want and really hear yourself in tune or not in tune with that "A" tone.
And then like Carl said; tape that and hear yourself second hand and pick out the bad parts and really listen to your positions and can be easily corrected if your listening for what your doing.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 9:37 pm    

Hello Jeffrey ,
I shouldn't really be saying anything here , my intonation is very bad . But , I did recieve a good piece of advice here on the forum , and that was to check a note I'm playing , against one of the open strings . I think of it now as just playing unison notes as often as I can . Mightn't sound great always in the context of a real song , but for practice it does help me .
I agree with Carl and Ricky 100% though , the taperecorder is probably the best . I'm always amazed at what I don't actually hear when I'm playing .
Ingo.

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 12:20 am    

The thing that has helped me the most, is recording myself, "while" playing along with records or back-up tapes. It's fun and it gives you a good reference point to work with.

When you sit back and listen to yourself playing along with other music, you can "really" hear your mistakes, or see if your playing a little off key. I had a tendancy to play a little flat, and that cured it.

The main thing is what Carl and Ricky both said, and that is to LISTEN to what your doing, and that's a lot easier said than done. It takes PRACTICE and CONCENTRATION....That's my .02 cents. Hope it helps.

Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Landers on 07 March 2000 at 12:24 AM.]

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 12:50 am    

Strange isn't it that the beautiful slow controlled slide that you heard yourself play when the Recording light was on, has you screaming "get to the note man!" when you are playing it back?
Tape machines have no sympathy!

------------------
Cheers!

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 12:51 pm    

Play some on the upper reaches of your fretboard. The frets are so close together, that any small errors in position are magnified greatly.

When I do this, it's immediate feedback on how badly or how well I'm covering the frets. It tends to make you a lot more sensitive to positioning the bar, and makes it seem all that easier when you go to the lower parts of the fretboard.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 2:09 pm    

Slightly off topic, but another benefit of recording yourself while playing along with the stereo is to see if the parts you are playing (if you're making them up) really do compliment what is going in with the other instruments. I mostly play to music that doesn't already have a steel part, and I learn alot listening to myself on tape.

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 3:28 pm    

Good thread !
I have been messing around for a while trying to play along with backing tracks that I have layed down then playing leads on top again in layers (usually overtaping a previous failed attempt)
I'm glad I started otherwise I would not have realised my tendency to overshoot a note on too many occasions !
Great advice from everyone - keep listening carefully.
I find that it has also increased my enjoyment when listening to great players.
All the best to you

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 8:03 pm    

I used to and still do occasionally take simple melodies and play them single string.

Concentrate on touch and expression while trying to imitate the human voice. Try to imagine how a great singer would sing what you are playing and let that be your guide.
A great way to develop personal tone.

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 07 March 2000 at 08:04 PM.]

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 5:52 pm    

Record yourself...w/ a solid, in tune rhthym track,
Aloha,
Mike
PS... be prepared to realize the truth!!!