The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RARE TWANG: Sho-Bud extended E9 S-12 3+4
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 12:15 pm    

If you want deep twang, you'll love this fairly rare and classic 12-string E9 Sho-Bud (Pro 1 series, though not decaled that way). New lower asking price: $1800.00 plus s/h.

Many detailed pictures here:
http://homepage.mac.com/johnnypez/PhotoAlbum16.html

This is a great sounding, twangy, tobacco brown Sho-Bud in great condition. Early-to-mid 70's vintage, I believe. Inspected by "PF" it says on its ID sticker, which I assume is Paul Franklin, Sr.---built by the master himself!

Stock single-coil pickup that has tone to the bone. Double raise, single lower, all pull, no barrels or baskets. 3 wide pedals, 4 teardrop knee levers. Emmons pedal setup. Mechanical double stop on string 2.

In very good-to-excellent condition, just a few cosmetic flaws, nothing major (see last pix at website), nothing that affects its smooth playability. Case is in good shape, one latch is missing its clasp.

The guitar was recently lubed and adjusted by my tech, Chris Allen Burke. Several pulls added for lowest strings.

As much as I love the tone of this steel, I'm the kind of player who needs compensators and splits everywhere, so this just isn't quite the right guitar for me, and it needs an appreciative new home.

If you've always played 10-string, I strongly encourage you to find out what a huge difference those 2 low strings can make in your sound, especially on this vibey Sho-Bud. My other guitar is a Mullen D-12, and before that an MSA D-12, so you can see I'm big on the fat 12-string sound---like Buddy Cage, Doug Livingston, and many other fellow forumites.

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Carter SD-10/Webb amp/Profex II/Lexicon MPS 110

[This message was edited by John McClung on 02 September 2005 at 10:30 AM.]

Silvio Bello

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2005 9:24 pm    

Hi John ,
Can't believe you're selling the ShoBud...your ShoBud S-12...She's a real beauty ! (How's your back...still lifting that D-12 , huh ? Your getting older, bud !)
Hey Guys , John's a good friend and great teacher...I'm know this is one sweet ShoBud !
Maybe I should take it to St.Louis this year....Hmmn

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 8:59 pm    

^^^
rise and twang...

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Webb amp/Profex II

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2005 7:08 am    

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2005 5:46 pm    

Remember: REAL MEN (OK, women, too!) play extended E9!

I'm also open to reasonable offers on this great Sho-Bud, and also amenable to a bit of partial trade. Items I can use:

pack-a-seat with backrest. Sidecar optional.

PODxt, Alesis Nanoverb, BOSS SE-50 or 70 or VF-1: a smallish multi-FX with good clean sound for when I fly to gigs. Must be easy to use playing live, knob twiddling is desirable.

Hilton volume pedal, preferrably low profile.

old BOSS Chorus CE-1 in mint sonic condition. Normal case wear acceptable, just has to sound clean. I have one, the input switch is noisy and bugs me.

Brad Sarno Black Box.

Furman power regulator, rackmount.

Bill Lawrence 712 pickup (12-string)

Above average acoustic guitar with built in pickup; cutaway preferred. I like Alvarez Yairi guitars a lot, and Ibanez, possibly others.

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Carter SD-10/Webb amp/Profex II/Lexicon MPX-110

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 12:59 pm    

wake up...

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2005 7:41 pm    

time for a revival...

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 9:31 am    

New lower price, see original post at top.

------------------
E9 lessons

Matt Martin

Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 5:47 pm    

John, would you consider trading for anything in the 6 string catagory???

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 7:35 pm    

Matt,
Sorry, don't have any 6-string needs at this time. Thanks for asking, though.

------------------
E9 lessons

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 6:32 pm    

<^>

Silvio Bello

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 9:35 pm    

Hi John,
There are sure a lot of U-12 for sale on the Forum now. What would it take to covert your Sho Bud to a universal ?

Wayne Wallett

Shermans Dale, PA USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 4:09 am    

I had the same idea a few years back and contacted Duane Marrs. He said to change the single E9th 12 string into a U12 would be about $900 as I recall.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 4:20 am    

Hey Silvio, it'd just take the pedals, rods, and bell cranks. My old ShoBud S-12 I played when I lived in SoCal was just like John's except it was the Blue finish. I had it all the way up to 7 knee levers and 7 floor pedals at one time when I was in Eddie Drakes band. The extra two left outside knee levers were made with Emmons crossrods and ShoBud levers I got from Blackie Taylor. We just drilled two holes in the back apron and pushed 'em through and put a plate with a hole for the front crossrod end to stick in and a collar inside the rear apron to hold it, then added the bellcranks and extra pulls. I was trying for a "Crawford Cluster" and it worked out pretty good. On mine I trimmed the wide pedals down to the width of the newer 'bud pedals with a hacksaw. The biggest problem was getting a double lower on the 8th string. I tried the brass barrel thing but heard about another way to do it. On both the 2nd and 8th strings I cut a little "U" in the end plate directly beneath the nylon lowering tuners. The ShoBud changer rests on this ridge and if you open the end plate up beneath the lowers you'll find another flat plate attached to the lowering finger. You just drill a hole right in the middle of it and shove a rod through it and tune 'er up and you're ready to go with a double lower which is tuned at the endplate. I didn't need a triple raise on my 5th string as I used a verticle knee lever to raise my 4th string to F# so I didn't have a C pedal. I eventually took off two of the floor pedals and the extra two knee levers as I didn't use 'em much and gave 'em to Bobby Boydd in Riverside. I finally sold that old 'bud and without a doubt that's the worst thing I ever did! I still miss that old guitar. It was definately a good 'un...JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!