The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud D10 5&4, 60s or early 70s Model
Gary Williams

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2005 8:43 pm    

I hate to get rid of this beauty as I've had it for over 30 years but only played it a few times in the last 25 years. The orginal owner was a Steel player out of Sedalia, MO. I got it when I was 14 and was quite the step up from the single neck Fender. Its a Sho-Bud Double Neck 10 String, 5 foot (slot for 1 more was already removed when I got it) and 3 Knee Levers, Distributed By Baldwin. Its not in perfect condition, I do know that one of the knee levers doesn't work and looks to have been brazed where its connected. There is some wear between the necks. Its stamped on the underside on both the wood and metal 7 76. These are the only numbers on it that I can find. I have many photos of it, But I don't know what its worth. I would sell it for a fair price. I have photos posted here. http://www.geocities.com/garbare2001/shobudphoto.html

[This message was edited by Gary Williams on 20 June 2005 at 09:53 PM.]

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2005 5:27 am    

Please send me some pics

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Desert Rose Lacquer D-10
EVans FET 500 LV Sessions 400 Limited ,ProFex II
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2005 11:00 am    

Gary, please email me with your price at

waynenbaker@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,

Wayne Baker

James Ingram

Blue Springs, MO, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2005 4:52 pm    

could you email with price you,d like for sho bud or at least an idea. i,d really like to see sho bud in person if possible. we live not to far apart. thanks James or call me 816-228-5706

[This message was edited by James Ingram on 22 June 2005 at 06:13 PM.]

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2005 8:36 pm    

Gary,
I can't e-mail you so any more info you have would be helpful. I just can't tell much by pictures but would this be a Crossover guitar meaning do the pedals and knee levers work on both necks?

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 5:25 am    

It's a crossover,But looks to be in good condition. They sure do sound good. A good one for a Duanne Marrs conversion

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Desert Rose Lacquer D-10
EVans FET 500 LV Sessions 400 Limited ,ProFex II
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

Gary Williams

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 5:42 am    

yes, the knee levers work both necks via the lever on the back.

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 8:33 am    

How much now for the shape its in??? interested, farris

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 11:08 am    

Gary,
Send me a price and any more pix you may have if possible.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2005 12:08 pm    

Gary, I got an email on this from a guy saying he wanted to buy it from me and would send someone to my location to pick it up. I think he's trying to scam me. THIS IS NOT THE SELLER, but someone else checking out the forum. Be careful.

Wayne Baker

[This message was edited by Wayne Baker on 23 June 2005 at 01:09 PM.]

James Ingram

Blue Springs, MO, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2005 9:53 am    

can we see shobud tonight. shoot me a email let me know thanks. James

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2005 1:58 pm    

Gary,
You could possibly sell that guitar if you shoot me a price and some more info. What happened to you? Is the guitar sold??

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2005 6:48 am    

This is the Baldwin crossover, tuirn the lever and the pedals switch over to the other neck, They did not stay in tune when switched over. This is the guitar Loyd had carried to Sho-Bud and had the back neck removed and a pad put on it.
There is one here in Lake city that has never been played, has the original strings on it till i replaced them and played the E9th neck and the C6 with out changing the pedals, it will stay in tune that way.
The sound on this guitar is second to none.
The one here the guy wants $2,000.00 for the guitar and a Shobud custom amp, like mine I bought in 1973 and still use it.
Hope this helps.

ernie

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2005 7:55 am    

I had one of these a number of years back and it sounded & played great! But, it sure wore me out carrying that thing around. Made my old MSA D-10 feel light weight.
Dave

James Ingram

Blue Springs, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2005 2:07 pm    

well guys i went and checked out garys sho bud this morning in person. i told him i would post my findings here for all interested to read. he,s asking 1,000 for what i believe is 69 model sho bud crossover. resaon i believe it,s 69 that,s what was scratched on top of the 3 position pickup control is 11/69. without beating it up to bad here,s it,s condition as i saw it. has,nt been played in 15 years. case and internal leg and pedal board holder in good shape blue interior felt. case missing original handle. psg very dusty. changer needs blown out badly with compressed air. has original rack and barrel mechanics still all original . e9th pickup is cracked on top under top mounting screw and has been epoxyed. laquer needs complete refinish job. just worn down to far in to many places. didn,t remember any serious wood gouges any where. has white sho bud fretboards on both necks still. their in great shape just need cleaning. locking lever set screw was loose needs tightned up no biggy. locking lever had worn into wood a little since set screw was,nt tight and allowed lever to turn to far counterclock wise against cabinet.frame is sold casting that,s black paint finish. it could stand to be refinished there,s places where it,s worn thru on edges mostly. aluminum keyheads are dirty and need polished out no gouges i could see. tuners are clean and have S on them. top of both changers need polished out. 4 top mounting screws on both changers just need taken out and cleaned up. pickups work but at this stage that,s about all i could determine other than they did,nt seem very quiet but those old sho bud single coils were,nt anyway right.as far as basic rack and barrel system it,s all original and has plenty of life left in it. just needs cleaning. it has only 3 knee levers not 4. left knee lever has been moved directly to right towards changer end by previous owner at some time about 3 inches. it still has old mounting holes to left still . pedal bar only has place for 6 pedals. theirs only 5 presently on it. 2 have been cut down to about 5/8 inch to skinny to me. 6th place on pedal bar is taken up by chrome spacer. only 4 of 5 pedals presently have changes on them. 5th does,nt have any barrels on it just pedal and pedal rod hooked up to rack system crossbar. locking lever system,s only problem very minor i saw was that it was missing light return spring on c6th side that kept only rack aligned properly when engaging c6th neck. now someone has changed the position on rack crossrod system to accomedate putting rkr on this psg. it only changes 2nd string on e9th that,s all. by someone doing this they made it impossible to add 6th pedal on to this psg. unless they change back crossover rack back to right postion where it had been moved from. see 6th pedal rod does,nt have right bracket now to put pedal rod hook in. since someone moved it. it could be fixed though.garys not easy person to get a hold of. so be patient. i,ll try and answer anybodys basic questions on it,s condition gary can supply more pics if need be. he just did,nt know how to directly post pics on forum. sorry i was to busy examining sho bud to see the exact setup it had on both necks sorry. don,t think it,s to off wall though. Thanks James

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2005 3:25 pm    

Gary,
Is the guitar still for sale or not?

James Ingram

Blue Springs, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2005 4:08 pm    

Frank I did,nt buy it so i,m sure it,s still for sale. no one else locally had contacted him to look at sho bud as of this morning. p.s. i forgot to add in my lengthy post chrome legs on sho bud were in decent age no flaking on chrome considering it,s age. pedal bar and pedals need polishing. string rollers were gauged brass rollers and looked in great shape. top of changer fingers on both necks did,nt appear to be grooved. nice and smooth still. gary works nights rest of this week at local pizza shop.i had to call him at work to get ahold of him to see sho bud.i don,t know if he has computer access at home or whether he,s using other means. he did tell me he thought steel forum was better place to try and sell the psg rather than ebay. i,d post his work # and a email address he had used to answer me but i,d rather he did it. Thanks James

[This message was edited by James Ingram on 25 June 2005 at 05:30 PM.]

Gary Williams

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2005 8:23 am    

I'm wanting $1000 plus shipping for it.

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2005 2:52 pm    

I will place a bid of $800.00 on this guitar, sounds like it needs a lot of work.

ernie

I thought I might add, I do not know if this is the right way to do this, but he does not have an e-mail address, nor phone listed, hope I am not out or order, if so cancel the bid. If OK I have started the bidding.

[This message was edited by Ernest Cawby on 26 June 2005 at 03:54 PM.]

James Ingram

Blue Springs, MO, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2005 5:28 pm    

Here,s my last 2 cents on garys sho bud. to be able to play it just as it is you,d only need to clean out changers. wipe fretboards down and rest of top of the steel. put on some new strings which strings on their did,nt really look that bad. tune it up and tweak barrels for pulls and go to town as it sits in it,s present condition and knee and pedal setup. broken braze weld gary was talking about on rkr lever. it,s broken from shaft but still turns shaft on rack.so as it sets it,s only 4 working pedal has 5 pedals presently capable of up to 6 pedals 3 knee lever steel . it,s heavy guys i,d say 80 lbs. Thanks gary for being so patient in letting me pick over sho bud sat. somebody buy this before i change my mind. Thanks James

Gary Williams

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2005 3:44 pm    

I'm lowering the asking price to $900 plus shipping cost. My email is williams9775@sbcglobal.net

Gary Williams

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 4:26 pm    

I would really like to sell this folks. Price change to $900 and I'll pay the shipping to Lower 48 states only. Thanks for looking.