The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ?idea?
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 1:50 pm    

A guy in Oakland asked a question that really has me wondering, he asked if there was any way he could stand up and play this lap steel. I got this thought right then that we could use a design I just did for Jack Wise where we took a Melobar Skreemr neck and bolted it into a Fiberglass "Dobro" size body. Why can't we have a Fiberglass body with a pocket for a lap steel to fit into the top so you could convert a lap steel to a size and fit of a Dobro feeling for strapping on, standing up and playing?

I know I probably just really stepped on dad's Melobar tilt neck design and, "I hope he forgives me before I join him up there!", and I don't care if other people do it too.

But what do you think?? I'm kind of excited about this idea...

ps. if you have a guitar on order, I am working, the computer is next to the bench.
pss. don't tell my wife, technically, this is not a new project.

Ted

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 11 February 2000 at 02:40 PM.]

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 11 February 2000 at 02:56 PM.]

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 2:35 pm    

OK, a guy just told me he had no idea what I was talking about here. I did a quick mock-up and put a picture on the bottom of the hotsheet if somebody smarter than me could bring it over, I think you'll get the idea.

CaseyM

Nampa, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 3:55 pm    

Click the URL below to see Ted's idea:
http://www.melobar.com/specials/idea.jpg

Casey

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 10:25 am    

Ted --

I think it's a great idea -- in fact, I have been trying to figure out the best way to do something along those lines, so I can move around a little instead of being locked in place (I use a keyboard stand). I actually been considering building a lap steel with Dobro proportions, so I could get a similar result.

The fiberglass body would certainly make it lightweight (a huge plus), but wouldn't it add a lot to the cost? I wonder if there's a more affordable way to achieve the same result...

By the way, I'm glad to see you are still actively participating in the Forum, bringing up new ideas that can benefit us all. Your opinions are a valuable resource for me, and -- from the posts I've read elsewhere on the forum -- are highly regarded by most others. Thanks for including all of us in your "think tank". As a marketing professional, I find myself wishing more companies asked for customer input before they build or try to sell their products.

Best regards,
PJJ

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 11:43 am    

This is an interesting thread.

In the 40's and early 50's, it was not uncommon for many steel players to stand up and play using a standup stand.

I had one. I believe BE had one. Also Little Roy Wiggens and I believe JB too. These stands were sturdy and were made to sit down with or stand up. As well as fold up neatly for carrying.

Unfortunately they are all gone. I have looked for one of these for 25 yrs. NO luck.

Go with God,

carl

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 2:16 pm    

Hi Peter, I'm participating as Ted Smith, not Melobar Guitars Inc., which really frees me up to just be able to talk with everybody. And still not to quote a price or sound commercial but it looks like a simple version of this would be around $60, I don't know, is that too spendy to be able to convert a lap steel into a run around the stage guitar? I guess it depends on what the guy want's to use it for. I'm thinking when someone gets something like the SXL or a Studioratt with the Dobroism it is going to be, way hot, to be able to litterally turn it into an "electric Dobro" look and sound. Using the foam as the insert for the lap steel to go into makes it so it should fit any lap steel out there. I sat down with Bert, the guy who does the fiberglass this morning, and the weight came in at a little more than 3lbs, it felt so much like my "Dobro" that I think I can stand up and use it comfortably right now. I played a little gig locally here Saturday night with a Melobro and it would have been neat to have the ability to play true Steel for the Hank Williams stuff and then switch to Dobroism on the Bluegrassy stuff. All in the same guitar and all while standing with the band. So I guess I'm sold on the idea too much is why I'm asking everyone's opinion if it's even worth offering, or just building one.

Ted

James LaVerne McCoy

Quitman, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 5:27 pm    

Ted: Excellent idea. I've played dobro for years and always stood up. I'd really like to do the same with a lap steel and your idea would make it possible. Go for it!
God Bless.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 1:07 am    

Of course, Ted, if you go with this it won't BE a "lap steel" any more...I'm already confused about whether that thing next to my Mullen is a Steel Guitar, a Non-Pedal Steel Guitar, A Table Steel, or what. And now this... seriously, sounds like a great idea. And anything visually exciting will always help to draw in some of the kids out there who want to find something to play- and I like the idea of not having to pick up and move my Dual Pro every couple of bars just to keep up with the banjo player...

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

S Condron

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 7:04 am    

Ted,
I'm new to the forum, but you came up with a great idea. I wonder how easy it would be to specifcally contour the foam depending on what a person needs: e.g.: A person likes to have the lap extended out a bit more than usual. Since the shape is not responsible for the sonic quality.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 9:36 am    

not to mention Finish options like candyapplemetallicflake or stingray silver!!!
I like the idea- but make sure it will also be available with the large belly cutout option for those of us who are proportionally challenged

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 11:47 am    

Yes, I'm with you on that one Dave!
Well I'm kind of with everybody above on this, it opens a whole new world to Lap Steel that makes the guitar basically do anything we want it to. Dad's idea was great with the tilt neck Melobar, but I like the feel of how flat a Dobro is - and about the same distance as a steel from my body.
Using the foam to hold the steel should mean that it will customize to everything.

There are a few things I'm chewing on;
Side Jacks will have to be open there and the cord should run down and out the back some how.
We should be able to mount it with one bolt up through the back and use that same 1" insert that we now use on the Supersteel so the guitar looks nice when it isn't using the body.
Color is sky's the limit but I think Black is a good starter,???
And the toughest question, somebody got a good name for this thing????

Ted

CaseyM

Nampa, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 12:31 pm    

Since its a Dobro type guitar body designed to "form fit" a Melobar lap steel ... how about calling it the Melobar "Dobraform" Body (yes I meant to put an "a" in "Dobraform"). This fits along the line with the existing product name idea of "Dobroism" and it serves the same purpose (to make the lap steel act more like a Dobro). And then it can be purchased as an added option separate from the lap steel guitar.

CaseyM

[This message was edited by CaseyM on 15 February 2000 at 12:34 PM.]

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 2:22 pm    

Actually, that's not half bad Casey. If you remember back in the early 80's Dad had that foam body in an Explorer shape, like what Jim was looking at in the "old Melobar" thread, and he called that the Pro-form body. I don't know, what does everybody else think?

I'd better say that Dobroism isn't a product name, it's an adjective, the devise is a SIM997 officially. You always have to be careful with Gibson Dobro because they have attorneys sitting around looking for somebody to sue, very scary with dorsal fins, so it may have to be Reso-form although I don't know if that really cuts it.

Ted

ps Lap-to-stand??

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 15 February 2000 at 02:41 PM.]

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 15 February 2000 at 02:57 PM.]

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 3:33 pm    

"MELOBRO"
Jim

CaseyM

Nampa, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 3:45 pm    

I remember the ProForm body .. I also remember that brochure with Neil Miller standing there in his 1970's Partridge Family shirt with the wide collars bending the corner of the guitar over. (Hee hee hee) ... as a matter of fact I had the ProForm in mind when I added the "form" to Dobraform. I was thinking that if we added the "a" to Dobraform instead of "Dobroform" ... then it would be different enough that the dorsal fins would continue circle rather than come in for the attack.

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 4:32 pm    

Melobro is used, so is Matchbro by Goodrich and MoBro by Mosrite. What I believe you have to be respectful of is the "DO" which stands specifically for Dopyera. The BRO is for Brothers. There are 5 brothers in the Melobar clan so that's along the same lines, but when you use DO and BRO you now are talking the DOpyera BROthers. That's what Ed and Rudy fought so hard for and what the fins have a right to watch out for.
Reso is slowly getting associated with the shape and sound.
It's too close I think, any body got a creative thought on something that describes a lap steel standing up on stage?

Lapfree?

Ted

ps. Lapbro?? ???? what do you think??

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 15 February 2000 at 04:53 PM.]

Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 5:43 pm    

Ted,
After pondering over several thousand possible names (well, not really), I narrowed it down to three:

- The Lapadaptor- It's fun to say plus it sounds kinda like a dinosaur
- The Walkabout- Should be popular with the Austrailians
- The Lap Strap- For strapping on your lap.

Seriously, it sounds like a great idea. I'll buy one.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 6:42 am    

Ted --

If the pricing is in that range and foam inserts are available (or can be adapted) to suit all the different types of lap steels out there (including, of course, my red Melobar LS 6 string), I think you've got a winner!

Best regards always,
PJJ

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 6:45 am    

Lapadaptor?
Widebody?
Reso-shell?
Outrigger?

Boy, naming products looks so easy....

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 6:51 am    

My wife liked your dinosaur version with the Strap idea--Strapadaptor body--works for me, of course any time I can get her involved in the music is big points.

Ted

ps Peter must have posted at the same time because I didn't see Outrigger--that's is what it does, need some votes on this.

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 16 February 2000 at 06:57 AM.]

CaseyM

Nampa, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 8:53 am    

I'm biased .. of course I like "Dobraform" best. But I like, Outrigger too. The terms Outrigger and Outfitter are really popular right now in other industries. I also like a twist on the "Walkabout" idea. This product will allow the lap player to get up and move about. So how about the Melobar LapAbout?

S Condron

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 11:26 am    

LAPDOG

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 7:49 pm    

I know Jimmy Dunlop used Lapdawg on his new Sheerhorn type-Stevens type--bar.

I'm kinda leaning toward Lapabout-Outrigger myself. We have a mold started just for it, I'll let you guys know when I have one all together. It's been blowing some minds in the shop-Mel my wood cutter came in and saw it on my bench this morning, he just froze for about 3 or 4 minutes and said "WHY in the world did it take us so long to come up with that idea!!" I agree, 30 years too slow!
Lap steel ain't goin' to have ta ever take a back seat no more. Ya!!

Ted

CaseyM

Nampa, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 6:06 am    

Nice going Theodore .. there's your slogan for the LapAbout. "Lap Steel doesn't have to take the back seat!" That one sentence carries a lot of meaning to the lap steel stage players who've had to sit at the back of the stage while everyone else had fun out front (except the drummer and keyboard guy).

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 5:15 pm    

Has anyone seen this instrument? Looks pretty cool to me.
http://www.gibson.com/products/dobro/1996/newmodels/lapsteel.html

Another option to having a stand-up lap steel.

Chris