The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scam alert for forum members
Donald Dunlavey

Jonesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 5:34 am    

Got the same e-mail, but his wording has improved, must have someone helping him. Reported spam. And just watching.

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 6:59 am    

I have already blocked one ISP that this person is using, but would be happy to have a look at the newest scams from Michael taylor (spelled like that), just in case he switches proxy servers.

Please forward as an attachment from Outlook Express, or equivilant, or if you send via web based email, set the program to display the full headers, then forward it to me. Contact me first (via my email link above) if you need specific instructions on how to send these messages to me for proper tracking.

Dispite what this Farris person says about me I have single-handedly (and with the invaluable help of some of you guys) created a blocklist that denies access to hundreds of thousands of IP addresses in Africa, and almost all assigned IP addresses in Nigeria. I have worked on this project, at no cost to anybody here, since the summer of 2004.

With your help, and hundreds of hours of my own time, I have been able to reduce the number of scammers that pester you all to a trickle, where it used to be a daily occurance. I have personally reported dozens of these scam emails to SpamCop, of which I am a member. These reports are then sent to the ISP abuse personel and mail server operators through which the scams were sent.

I remain committed to fighting both spam and scams, as best I can, and hope you all will continue to assist me in this fight.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop

[This message was edited by Bobby D. Hunter on 03 June 2005 at 08:03 AM.]

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 8:33 am    

I am greatful to Mr. Hunter for his work. Fighting spam and scammers is theoretically a holy war, and not many people have the time or the guts for it.

But I still think that if you had to be a member of, and logged into, the forum to read profiles and e-mail addresses we'd get a whole lot less of this junk.

Charlie

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 9:05 am    

This may look familiar to some of you. I believe this clown finds his victims through the SGF;

Subject ASSURED FUNDS FOR YOU CLAIM IT

Dear ,

I am Mark Cole Mercer a solicitor at law. I am the personal attorney to Late Eng. William A. Dempsey, a national of your country, who used to work with Chevron - Development Company in Switzerland. Here in after shall be referred to as my client.

On the 21st of April 2000, my client, his wife and their three children were involved in a car accident along Kongresshaus, Zentralstrasse 60. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost their lives. Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy to locate any of my clients extended relatives.

After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to track his last name over the Internet, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you.
I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before they get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank where these huge deposits were lodged. Particularly, the finance company where the deceased had an account valued at about USD$9.5 million dollars has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have the account confiscated within the next Thirty (30) Working official working days.

Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 4 years now I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you have the same last name so that the proceeds of this account valued at US$9.5 million dollars can be paid to you and then you and me can share the money. 60% to me and 30% to you and 10% will be used for any expenses.

I have all necessary legal documents that can be used to back up any claim we may make. All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us seeing this deal through.

I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. Please get in touch with me by my private email barrisableable@yahoo.com and send to me your telephone and fax numbers to enable us discuss further about this transaction.

Best regards,
Barrister Mark Cole Mercer

Headers say this came from a ligit (throwaway) yahoo account. Maybe so.

Believe me, I don't usually read trash like this. I blundered across it scanning messages in a webmail ap. It sure smells like these other scammers we've been seeing on the forum.

"Assured funds for you claim it" indeed!

Charlie

Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 9:35 am    

Yup. I got one from Mr. Taylor after the thread was closed and he inquired about the wrong guitar. From now on I'll have to save this crap and forward it to Bobby Hunter. There really is very little of this dreck getting through now thanks to him.

[This message was edited by Bill Bosler on 03 June 2005 at 10:35 AM.]

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 1:05 pm    

quote:
Charles Dempsey wrote:

Subject ASSURED FUNDS FOR YOU CLAIM IT

This email is a perfect example of a 419 scam, 99% sure to have originated in Abuja or Lagos, Nigeria.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 9:40 pm    

Here is an example of what you can expect to receive if you are foolish enough to reply to Micheal taylor (sic), or any other Nigerian scammers:
quote:

Hello (name deleted),
Thanks very much for your mail.The price is okay with me and the arrangment on pick up will be taken care by a local shipper which i have already contacted,so as soon as the transaction is sealed he will come for it.I want you to kindly consider the Fender Champion sold to me as I 'll be compensation you with additional $50 if this is done by you.
As regard the payment a client of mine who is owing me a sum of $3800 Who I 'll instruct to issue out a certified cashier's check in your Name,once you received the certified cashier's check,you will deposite it at your bank and after it clears you bank,you will deduct the cost of your Fender Champion include the compensation fees making $750 and the you will send the remaining outstanding balance to the wedding planner via Money Gram Money Transfer.If this is okay with you I want you to get back to me with your Name in full,contact Address so I can proceed instructing my client to issue out the check in your Name.I look forward to your response.
Thanks and have a nice day.
Micheal Taylor.........

This is a classic kited check scam, sent from a Nigerian Mugu Guyman idiot operating from an Internet Cafe in Nigeria.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF

[This message was edited by Bobby D. Hunter on 04 June 2005 at 01:15 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 12:44 am    

yes Ron, i send the Internet header in a seperate email when i send the original scammer's email over to Wizardo

ISP scammer's # can be found using this link : http://www.dnsstuff.com/

identify the scammer's # in the Internet header first -
put it in " WHOIS lookup " box
left hand column : 3rd down - 1st blue header
notice that a scammer's email can go through 2 or 3 ISPs

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 04 June 2005 at 05:36 AM.]

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 3:01 am    

Oh Boy! Michael "small-t" taylor has some new friends!!

My guitar is cross listed on Craig's list, which is where I think these new ones are coming from. Meet "Lewis Harrison":

quote:
Good Day,
Am Lewis Harrison, I stay in U.K, I saw your advert and am highly interested in buying the { Carter Pedal Steel Guitar } which you offer for sale..

note the tell-tale field brackets around Pedal Steel guitar. Now meet "Terrance" (whose e-mail address is Bryce Scott). He must be the slow one in the gang: notice the garbled name in the bracketed field:

quote:
Greetings,
my name is Terrance, i saw your advert and i am highly interested in buying your { Guita }.i have seen the asking price and it is okay by me and I am giving you $50 to delete the post from the website. I will like to know the present condition,i also want you to know that the payment will be made thru USPS MONEY
ORDER or AMERICAN FUNDS CASHIER CHECK .pls get back to me
and let me know how you will like to proceed.
[...]
I await ur this information so that i can fax it down
to my client that will send payment to you. Hope this is
acceptable?

I can be reached on this number +447031842320
Email me as soon as possible.
REGARDS

I am very tempted to call the number: but I have better ways to waste my time.

Dan

------------------
Dan Beller-McKenna
Durham, NH
Dekley s-10, Telecaster, Guild D-35

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 6:34 am    

Time for FIFE. "Nip it!"

Hello Rex Thomas,
Thanks very much for your mail.The price is okay with me and the arrangment on pick up will be taken care by my shipper as soon as the transaction is sealed.I want you to kindly consider the 2002 Derby D-10 sold to me as I 'll be compensation you with additional $50 if this is done by you.
As regard the payment a client of mine who is owing me a sum of $6000 Who I 'll instruct to issue out a Certified check in your Name,once you received the check and it is Cashed ,you will deduct the cost of your 2002 Derby D-10 include the compensation fees making $3450 and you will send the remaining outstanding balance to my shipper via Money Gram.If this is okay with you I want you to get back to me with your Name in full,contact Address so I can proceed instructing my client to issue out the check in your Name.I look forward to your response.
Thanks and have a nice day.
Michael Taylor

What stinks here, though I didn't see this coming, I replied in the beginning that I was KEEPING the Derb.
Thanx to SGF for keeping us aware of this crap. I'm gone.

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 04 June 2005 at 09:30 AM.]

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 8:30 am    

I am tempted to reply to Mark Cole Mercer (a solicitor at law :^) and tell him that, in fact, I am the long lost illigitimate son of the late Eng. William A. Dempsey. Small world, eh? He needs to wire me $2000 so I can afford a passport, a one way airline ticket to Switzerland and a week in detox.

Charlie

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 1:50 pm    

Question.How do thes people find out what credit cards you use and what bank you use? I have never put any of this info on the internet.Thanks.Tracy

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 2:16 pm    

Tracy,

IMHO they don't. Spoofers use a shotgun approach; they find a working e-mail address and then saturate it with every kind of eBay, Mastercard, Visa, Chase and PayPal spoof you can think of. Some of it is bound to hit, and the ones that don't hit don't matter.

Charlie

[This message was edited by Charles Dempsey on 04 June 2005 at 03:19 PM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 2:46 pm    

Got email from Mike Perlowin. He received the exact same scam letter from "Michael taylor". I think the guy spammed everyone with an ad in this section of the Forum.

------------------
Bobby Lee
-b0b- quasar@b0b.com
System Administrator
My Blog

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 5:22 pm    

Quote:
Got email from Mike Perlowin. He received the exact same scam letter from "Michael taylor"

I almost went for it too. Thanks b0b for alerting me to the scam.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 9:08 pm    

Thanks Charles.Makes sense to me now as i also recieved the same notice for info on a bank i have never heard of.Tracy