The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Pro I for sale /trade.. whatever..
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:20 am    

I had this up last week then closed it... It is a 5+5 Pro I... It has a nice look, but has MANY small bar dings and a few penny sized finish abrasions, and some finish wear spots.. From 5-10 feet it looks very nice.. VERY highly figured maple.

The undercarriage is made up of many Marrs parts and it has a triple double SuperPro changer ... I have been working on this steel about two weeks, have it playing nicely,BUT I have found the reason for my 2nd string lower problem... [please see my post in Pedal Steel].. the finger for that string does not always return fully upon activation of the knee lever.. sometimes does ,sometimes does not.

I have tried springs, heavier/lighter strings, everything.. the problem is roughness in the changer itself. I disconnected everthing ,, all rods etc, and it does the same thing... I can certainly pull the changer and repair this , but I am sour on this steel now,as well as ALL Buds, I LOVE them, but they always fight me.. this is my third and unlike many guys,I can't get a good handle on them.. I always seem to be "tweaking" instead of playing.

I have come to the sad realization I STINK at getting a Sho Bud playing the way it should.

This would do VERY nicely for someone who really appreciates BUDS and is good at them.

I am just wanting to get out of it.. I have $1375 in the steel... I would consider any trade/cash/combination/.. I would take some MSA parts [pedals/ vert knee setup/pull parts/in a cash trade deal,or I would certainly consider another brand S 10 of equal value.

This should really go to someone who can refurbish old Buds... With a refinish [not necessary if you like the "vintage vibe"] ,little bit of changer tweakage, and a good setup from a knowledgable Bud guy,it would be a gorgeous 5+5 S 10 Sho Bud for someone.

All other pulls are fine.. soft and in tune.. I am just tired of messing with this guitar... I do believe I need to stick with the MSA design for my #2 as it is a very forgiving mechanism.. and steel players like me need a lot of forgiveness!!...

My Carter is #1 and always will be. I bought this steel on a whim,and it is not for me. I had several guys contact me about this steel, but I am certain now, that this should go to a knowledgable BUD lover that wants to make her RIGHT.

PLEASE, PLEASE no flames.. I'm NOT saying anything negative about ANYONE, I just don't want to pull this guitar apart to take the changer out..I HATE tinkering with steels, I only do it when I absolutely need to...

I have lost interest in this ProI and want to move on... In any case, please email me if interested,there is no need to reply here... I would like to get close to what I payed in cash or trade value.. REALLY interested in MSA pull parts... I will get some pics meantime..... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 25 April 2005 at 06:22 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 25 April 2005 at 06:25 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 25 April 2005 at 06:27 AM.]

Ron !

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:41 am    

Bob,

My thumbs up for a good sale or trade
Maybe you will have more luck with another MSA.

Ron

------------------
Nikaro Steel Guitars
Nikaro SD10 4x6-Nikaro SD10 4x5-2Peavey 112 Ultra Tube.
nikarosteelguitars@planet.nl
European Steel Guitar Forum

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 6:13 am    

Thanks Ron.. I love Buds, the look,the SOUND,BUT they seem very tempremental to me.. Most Bud guys have good luck with them... I don't. You gotta stick with what works for you. My old 60's Sho bud 6139 6+3 S 10 gave me far fewer problems than the later models I have owned..

Maybe one day I'll figure out why I can never get these guitars to work for me.. I had my Pro III for 12 years and hardly played it after awhile,,because it always wanted to "wrestle".. but my old battered MSA would sit there and let me have my way!..

This one needs the right person to love her,I'm just NOT that person..bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 7:35 am    

Just want to add in case anyone is interested, I may be getting another pedal for this ProI,,if so ,it will be included with the guitar..which would make it an S 10 w/ 6+5.. It may get pretty crowded under there!! bob

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 8:17 am    

Bob-I am sorry that you can't get that Sho-Bud working good for you.

I have a Pro-1 S10 with 6 pedals and 5 knee levers and it plays beautifully for me, and is beautiful all natural birdseye maple. One owner.

All original parts, that I got some from Ed Naylor, bless his soul..

I was lucky to get Fred Welch, my friend in Michigan to set it up.
Maybe you should get Ricky Davis, the Pro to set it up for you. I'l bet you wouldn't believe it what he can do....Good luck .......al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 8:46 am    

Al... I just don't want to take it apart.. It was disassembled when I bought it, I put it back together, got it playing very nicely, and after a lot of work I discovered the #2 string changer finger was not returning as it should.. It is definately sticky in the changer, and I really don't have the desire for working on the guitar anymore.

Its a back up guitar, and I just don't feel like doing the work... its a cool old Bud, but I have signed off on Buds.. I think I really do prefer a more modern mechanism design .. I like vintage looks and sound, but modern hi tech mechanicals.

Anyway, maybe theres someone here that would like something like this to play around with. I am done spending time and money on it.

If no one can use it,it goes in its case in a closet until I do feel like messing with it... Geez,,, I'll bet she''ll be there quite a while!1 bob

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 9:53 am    

Yeah it's a easy fix. What happens on those superpro fingers; is you have a a bent top piece of the bottom sleeve that pushes the top part of the finger and should sit still when the other sleeve is activated; but that bent part will wear a groove in the chrome plated pot metal top piece and will give problems pushing or returning. All I do is drop that one finger out and bend in that top bent piece a little to where it now is hitting on a fresh surface of the top pot metal piece; and the finger will do everything perfect then.
Ricky

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 10:05 am    

or you could easily exchange the fingers #2 and #7. #7 is rarely used i believe.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 10:23 am    

Thanks for the info guys.. It is well appreciated.. I know its not a big deal to fix, I just don't want to take the time really.. I'm getting fat, old and lazy I guess. .. those attributes, along with my heriditary ugliness, make me quite an unattractive individual! bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 25 April 2005 at 11:24 AM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2005 7:52 am    

Mods..please shoot this one from the sky if you would be so kind... I've repaired this steel and will sell it locally on consignment.... bob