The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dealers Peddling Steels
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 10:00 pm    

My next steel will be a Melobar primarily because of Ted's input on this site. That, and the excellent customer service I've received from him so far. If the other manufacturers of steels choose not to take the time to participate in this forum then they obviously don't need my business.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 4:09 am    

Don,

After dealing with builders and dealers for many years I can say that they are first class. Herb Steiner and Ed Naylor both are tops in what they do.We have a list of vendors on the Forum thanks to Bobby Lee.I realize the way you feel about Mellowbar.When you have some of the best players like David Lindley playing their guitars that says alot about them.Ted sent me the video with Lindley at one of his rock concerts.He was really rocking.

Bob Littleton

Camas, WA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 6:48 am    

I am the owner/builder/player/custodian of West Coast Steel Guitars. As a forum member I feel it is my obligation to not use this place as an opportunity to advertise. Some of us post more frequently than others---that's o.k. Every time a builder responds he represents his company. There is always the possibility that someone out there might think that its free advertising. Sometimes there is a very fuzzy line between presenting information, public relations, and advertising. If we, as builders, are not responding to posts appropriately forum members will let us know.
Regards to all,
Bob

Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:05 am    

OK, I stand corrected. I didn't realize other manufacturers were even aware of this forum. I apologize to all who are. I still really like Melobars, though.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:33 am    

Slight correction, perhaps because someone missed the "humor" of my initial post. I am NOT a steel guitar retailer or dealer. I do buy, trade, and sell guitars from time to time; however, we are talking maybe 6 guitars a year, usually in and out of my collection. I don't sell strings or any accessories, I don't have student models on a sales floor, or any such thing. Predominantly, I'm a performer

------------------
members.aol.com/herbs10178/index.html

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 9:00 am    

The "Buy and Sell" area is the proper place for ads. Lori discourages extensive discussion and topic drift there.

"No Peddlers" is certainly the correct place to discuss the merits of various lap steels, and builders are welcome to brag up their own brands in the course of regular discussion. The name of forum area was intended as a play on words, not a non-commercial directive.

Frankly, this has always been the most trouble-free area of the forum. I'm grateful to Brad for his excellent moderating skills, and we seem to be 100% in sync on Forum policy issues.

------------------
-b0b- ... click www.b0b.com/products
-System Administrator

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 4:35 am    

Don,

I know how you feel I have bought 3 Melobars.

Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 10:00 am    

Once again our mystery "Austin" slacker friend is forgetting his manners. We don't tell people to "stick it" on this forum gs. Geez you never hear of humor outside of Beavis and Butthead?

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 2:21 pm    

Well chaps,
I've been away a few days and was suprised to see this thread open again (original reply made me titter! - thanks Herb).
I try and hang around here and Brad's POS since any information on steel guitars is a rarity around here.
Thanks Melobar for asking the customer what they really want. A rare request - even in these days of so called customer focused quality. Considering a purchase from them.(after I have paid for my Guernsey!)
I've also been interested when anyone has a steel for sale - I like to look at any nice equipment.
I like this place the way it is -- informative and not without a good dose of wit.

I feel that I must have some sense of humour playing steel guitar (very badly but I like it) - acoustic and electric. I don't do it to get rich or to improve my intellect.

If the forum gets out of hand here then I trust b0b and Brad's judgement to close us down.

It is nice to have a serious thread here but let's not get too serious for too long eh ?

Bill Dalton
Bolton
England

About to attempt a big string pull (for the second time) without removing ends of fingers.

Is there a doctor in the group? - I dropped my steel on my toe -- big bruise - blood too !
Maybe someone could sell me some steel capped shoes?
Can we start a thread on what first aid we should carry in out gig bags ?

CaseyM

Nampa, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 3:36 pm    

We sure can start that First Aid thread ... just don't mention the names of the bandaid and ointment manufacturers.

Casey