The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Take-a-look-beware
Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 3:46 pm    

Wanted to let you know this scam happened to me also today. Here's a copy of it.

To: dodson422@yahoo.com
Subject: Shipping Arrangement: Sho-Bud Super Pro 8+6 Black Lacquer
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:15:46 +0000

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your response. Due to shipping and insurance, and that a shipping company is coming to pick up from you. You will receive a money order of $3,500 then you deduct the cost price $1545.00 for it, then you will assist in forwarding the shipping cost which is the balance/extra to the shipper who will be coming to pick up, and this must be done in good faith. I will like to read from you concerning this shipping arrangement before processing and sending the payment out to you. Thanks for your co-operation, while awaiting your response.

Regards

Trisha

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 18 February 2005 at 04:20 PM.]

Ron Bednar

Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 4:22 pm    

I got the same email concerning the baritone...

Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 5:02 pm    

there was some guy in england that was doing the same thing last summer. he gives you a bad check and has you send him a good one and then your left holding the bag for all the money and no one shows up for the psg. it is a scam and i would suggest that you contact the forum about it and let them handle it. doc.

------------------
zum SD10 peavy vegas 400 peavy session 400
if its not a zum steel it isn't real

Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 5:20 pm    

Thanks,I contacted Bob Hunter. He's already on top of it.
Steve

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2005 7:22 am    

I got the same response for my D-8 National.Here' what she wrote:

Hello Robbie,

"Thanks for your response. Due to shipping and insurance, and that a
shipping company is coming to pick up from you. You will receive a
money order of $2500 then you deduct the cost price $600 for it,
then you will assist in forwarding the shipping cost which is the
balance/extra to the shipper who will be coming
to pick up, and this must be done in good faith. I will like to
read from you concerning this shipping arrangement before
processing and sending the payment out to you. Thanks for your
co-operation, while awaiting your response

Regards

Trisha"

Needless to say, the guitar is still available. Thanks for the heads up.

Robbie Bossert

Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2005 2:19 am    

Thanks for the heads-up ! I got a similar one from this "Trisha Emde" re. a Sierra I had for sale.

Ole

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2005 6:15 am    

Here's mine:

Thanks for your response. Due to shipping and insurance, and that a
shipping company is coming to pick up from you. You will receive a
money order of $6,000 then you deduct the cost price $3200 for it,
then you will assist in forwarding the shipping cost which is the
balance/extra to the shipper who will be coming
to pick up, and this must be done in good faith. I will like to
read from you concerning this shipping arrangement before
processing and sending the payment out to you. Thanks for your
co-operation, while awaiting your response

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2005 7:33 am    

i got the email from "trish" also. whenever i get this particular scam, i just tell them to have their "shipping agent" bring cash. that always shuts them up.
john

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 4:58 am    

You know, the saddest part of all of this is that the really bad English grammer would normally be the first big tipoff that something just isn't right here.

Unfortunately today, one might not realize that, given that the overall use of bad grammer is at at all time high in this country. I mean, "Due to shipping and insurance, and that a shipping company is coming to pick up from you." Huh? How about "I will like to read from you concerning this shipping arrangement..." What? These are the types of sentences I'm seeing way too often from native speakers here (in my daily work, not here at the SGF)!

I was working on one instrument deal with a guy, and received an email that was basically a paragraph long sentence with NO puncuation or capitalization. It took twenty minutes to figure out what he was trying to say! Reading it was like doing one of those "find the hidden words" puzzles.

Thanks for the HEDZ-UP!

Bill Taft

Sturgeon Mo. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 9:45 am    

She sent me about 4 mails and said she would buy 2 teles and 2 lap steels and the price was fine, but after I mailed her back and asked to where it was going and I did ask the country and told her only a US Postal Money Order was the only payment I would take she has not tried to pull the stunt again. If you feel like this is to good then start asking a lot of questions like phone numbers and such, then they usually wont contact you anymore. I have a couple of times sent an item to a forum member even before the check was here, but only a couple of times and always had honest people that paid, but I need to be a little more safe about this and wait until a MONEY ORDER is in hand, even though I would say most forum members are like a close fellowship of friends like church even in the local church you have dishonest folks maybe more then on the forum God help us all if that is the case so I'll just say help us Lord just in case.
Bill

------------------
ZUM 2003 Black SD-10 Peavey 112 Amp and if needed my 1985 Evans FET 500 LV Custom Amp.

[This message was edited by Bill Taft on 24 February 2005 at 09:47 AM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 11:54 am    

This same scam is being used extensively on internet auto sales sites.

Whenever you get this sort of message you should IMMEDIATELY contact the FBI. They have a special detail working on this one type of scam, most often a Nigerian phenomena, though many times it appears to be routed through England or Germany.

Again, TAKE IT TO THE FBI, and if you get it to them fast enough you might be able to help nail these jokers.

------------------
Dave Grafe - email: dg@pdxaudio.com
Production
Pickin', etc.

1978 ShoBud Pro I E9, Randall Steel Man 500, 1960 Les Paul (SG) Deluxe, 1963 Precision Bass, 1954 Gibson LGO, 1897 Washburn Hawaiian Steel Conversion

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 1:48 pm    

These deals always sound TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, therefore,they ain't.

Anybody falling for this scam fits PT Barnum's saying about a sucker being born every minute.

Justin Brown

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2005 11:13 am    

I got one of these emails about a Craigslist posting I put up a few months back. It was clearly a scam; they had no questions about the guitar I was selling, and every time they mentioned it, they had just pasted the title of my listing (including all-caps) in. I was curious to see what would happen, so I wrote back and told them that sure, I'd accept their check for $2,000 more than I was asking for the guitar, etc..
About a month went by and I'd forgotten all about it... when an envelope from Nigeria arrived, complete with three cool Nigerian stamps on the envelope. There was no letter inside, and not even a complete return address on the envelope - just a clumsily forged check (I'm a graphic designer, so I could tell immediately: the "security pattern" in the background was missing behind the amount, my name, the date, and the signature. It was on lumpy, grainy paper. The check number seemed to have been put on using transfer lettering, which was flaking off, etc) for $2,350!

I tried to email them to confirm I'd received it... and to question the authenticity of the check, but the email account had been shut down. Of course I don't plan to try to cash it. I'm just glad I was able to waste a little of their time.