The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fake Ebay Scam
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2005 3:56 pm    

Fake Ebay e-mail asking you to update your personal info, wants your SS #, mother's maiden name, etc. !!

If you click on the e-mail link to their form, it takes you to a non-Ebay site http://lounge.roomfour.net/image/

Be careful!

Drew

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2005 4:27 pm    

I average a couple of these a day. Ebay has an address to forward them to for investigation. Just forward them as inline text to spoof@ebay.com. These are also being sent to Paypal members. Forward those to spoof@paypal.com. If there's any doubt, send it anyway, they will let you know if its legitimate.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 1:48 am    

I wonder if anyone has gotten any emails back from EBAY saying that the message in question was legitimate and actully from EBAY. For everyone I've ever sent to EBAY (about 20), I was told each was a fraud. In October I found out my account was suspeded due to non-payment as of May 2004. This had happened once before a couple years ago when I gave them my new credit card information with new validity dates. EBAY seems to have gotten it wrong again. I'm still trying to get the problem straightened out and it's going on 4 months now. It's been hard reaching these guys in person. I've only been able to make contact now through their collection agency. Other than this, I have only had one bad experience on EBAY which was a guy who did not buy the guitar he won in my auction. With the new fees though, even if I get my name cleared, I doubt I'll be selling much there. steve

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 3:03 am    

When I got my first one I contacted Ebay support and was told it was not legitimate and under no circumstances should I ever give out that information. I get them occasionally, instant delete key.
Lefty

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 5:50 am    

I had that happen a while back and sent it to the Ebay investigation site. I was emailed back by Ebay that it was a fake. Be careful if it sounds funny it probably is .

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 6:28 am    

Steve, I did send the email notifying me of the new rates to Ebays spoof department just to test the system. I got a response back that it was a legitimate Ebay notice. The spoof emails ask for your account information, the legitimate ones are just notices, they do not ask for any personal or account information.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 9:00 am    

Got Bit@#$!!!#$%^ by this one. Got A call at 11:20 PM from Western Union About someone wanting to make a Money Transfere for $1050.00 using my credit card. Ended up having to call Capital One at 11:30 PM to report stolen credit card info.Will get a new card in 7 to 10 days.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
PedalMaster Lacquer D-10 Sessions 400 Limited ,ProFex II http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

[This message was edited by Daniel J. Cormier on 21 January 2005 at 09:01 AM.]

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2005 8:01 pm    

I got burned for $1700.00! Thank the Lord for FDIC!

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 12:49 pm    

Thanks, Darvin, I'm glad the system checked out for you when you tested it. Unfortunately for me, all the emails I sent them to check mentioned that I had not been paying my EBAY bill and asked for money and/ or they asked for my account information, which I did not give them. Until the collection agency informs EBAY that I paid up and my account is "unsuspended", I'm still in EBAY jail. I will also be curious to see if the recent rise their charges. hurts their bottom line. If it, does, I hope the back off and charge a less onerous rate. steve

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 22 January 2005 at 01:07 PM.]