The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Ads Only, Please
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2005 3:19 pm    

This section of the Forum is for use by Forum members who are selling musical instruments. Posts about "EBay deals" or other topics do not belong here. I've been moving them, but if this persists I'll start deleting them.

Please, folks, how about a little respect for your fellow forum members who are trying to sell their guitars?

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
 System Administrator

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2005 3:34 pm    

i agree. don't you farris.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2005 6:06 pm    

b0b, a couple of questions just to be clear

If a forum member has an item for sale on ebay, is it ok to post that?

If there is an item of interest on ebay, is it ok to post that in other sections?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2005 6:44 pm    

I apologise Bob, but I felt that in all good conscience, I had to let the other forumites know that neither Susan Nor I will be bidding on the MSA on E-bay.

Mike

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2005 1:07 pm    

I think the altruistic posting of "heads-ups" to interesting available instruments is a legit and valuable part of the SGF. Perhaps the moderators should come up with a formal policy as to where (if not Trading Post, then No Peddlers, Pedal Steel, etc?) and how these notices >can< be listed.

In other words: what HowardR said.

[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 12 January 2005 at 01:09 PM.]

HowardR

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2005 8:11 pm    

yeah, and what Ben said, but I lost him at altruistic.......

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2005 9:44 pm    

I agree with Ben. If this isnt the proper area for a heads up on EBay. Its time to create one. After all its still about steel guitar whether its an ebay sale or not and since its a given if its a forum member there is a forth coming donation. Why not?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 4:20 am    

I would only expect to see items for sale, directly, by forum members on the forum, not a post referencing something on sale somewhere else.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 6:02 am    

Interesting topic, that's long overdue.

I appreciate the "heads up" posts, but if it causes a buyer to pass on a Forum advertised item, it takes a sale away from a member, and a comission away from the Forum.

So I think I'll side with Jack on this one.

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 7:22 am    

I'm with Jack also. If you want to know what's for sell then go to ebay. winston may

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 7:47 am    

I'm with J,J, and W on this one

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 8:13 am    

I concur. I trust the guys on the Forum a lot more than the shysters on ebay, also steel guitar related gear(other than Mavericks) will sell better on The Forum than it will on ebay.

Thanks to all of you on the forum that I have dealt with over the past 6 years.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 13 January 2005 at 10:21 AM.]

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 9:10 am    

I agree with Bob Knight. I have had a great deal of success selling steel related items on the forum and dealing with Forum members. I sell items not so much to make a profit but rather to turn over items I will never use again. I use Ebay but I feel it is becoming shark infested wateland. Sorry to be so blunt.

Lenny

HowardR

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 9:28 am    

I'm in total agreement. I trust the shysters on the forum much more than I trust the shysters on ebay.

As pre-moderator, I would suggest the following;

interesting pedal steel on ebay - post to pedal steel

interesting non pedal, dobro, etc. - post in no peddlers

other instruments - post in music

cooking steelers - post in The Julia Childs Forum

there, that wasn't so difficult, eh?

[This message was edited by HowardR on 13 January 2005 at 09:36 AM.]

Bill Pastuch

Bluegrass Country Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 9:28 am    

I agree with you b0b and everybody else about keeping the SGF unpolluted with items for sale on other sites that do nothing but distract the purists.

I wouldn't buy anything on E-Bay, even if they were giving it away. Can't trust 'em.

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 10:02 am    

Howard,i totaly dissagree with you!#1 shysters on forum as you called us!man i've got many good friends on here,and i don't call them Shysters!!also we as steelers like to know what other steelers enjoy!there are many topics on here,flying airplanes,fishing,band experiences.and oh yea as you said Cooking,well i won't go on but the day that we can't do nothing but talk about straight steel talk! you will see a intrest lost real quick!!!i buy some from ebay,and when i want something from there i go there!!and wheather you agree or not many had lots of fun with the COOKING STEEL PLAYERS farris

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 10:11 am    

I would also like to add,i've bought 2 steels here on the forum, one from CARL GREEN,IN CA.and the little ugly last wk. here on the forum from BOB HOFFNER,i've never been treated any better in my life! we still email at times and i feel i've made life time friends!!! farris

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 11:32 am    

Farris, I don't think Howard MEANT that folks were shysters, he was making a joke---you might want to look into that
I agree with Howard--if somebody sees something on EBay that might be of interest here(and if it's of a musical nature), then ONE head's up under the appropriate heading ought to do it. All the rest is ca-ca, and distracting.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 12:41 pm    

My 2 cents:

I would think that any SGF Member finding an item he/she desires with the terms he/she desires where-ever that might be, is in keeping with the fullest best wishes spirit of the SGF; And anyone directing anyone to something they think might fit that bill is part of that spirit.

If the idea of the buy/sell/trade SGF board is to generate funds to support the SGF rather than provide a collective resource, then that's another story and restrictions on references to outside items / resources could be made.

I highly doubt that any SGF Member would choose eBay or just about anywhere else if the same or similar item were for sale on the SGF with competitive terms.

I've made several hundred purchases from eBay and have had very few problematic transactions, and NONE that I wasn't able to resolve rather quickly and easily; BUT, common sense suggests a person do their homework before they do business there. EBay isn't much if any more an abnormal risk to a person who does their homework and uses their head, than any number of other "rummage" venues; As I find having a local district attorney detective telephone a problematic Seller on behalf of the FBI / IFCC Internet Fraud Task Force, ...even more effective than having to roll the dice in resolving such issues face to face in my own town.

Aloha,
Denny T~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 13 January 2005 at 12:41 PM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 1:19 pm    

Another reason against these posts is that they are of value for a very limited time.

All the posts here are archived in a searchable database.

You can look up topics from years ago. If you click on an old link to an eBay item you'll get an "item not found".

Still the posts will be on the Forum hard drive, taking up space and slowing down the searches, until this place closes down.

HowardR

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 2:09 pm    

Farris, my post was mostly humor (shysters & cooking), as they usually are. I've had many good dealings and have made many friends on this forum. Cheer up!

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 2:26 pm    

Howard you wag

cooking steelers - post in The Julia Childs Forum

Where in NY we serve Shysters on the Half shell.

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 2:28 pm    

Howard,hey guys sorry!!danit,i let my feathers get ruffled huh!!kindda like my old dog goes out to greet some one with hair standing sraight up!!I didn't know it was a joke!!!though i was being attack!!!OK damit you got me!!
NOW b0b is gonna have a fit!!some guy over there on steelers ADV FOR A WIFE!!HAHAHAHA
LOVE YOU GUYS farris

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 5:56 pm    

quote:
b0b, a couple of questions just to be clear
If a forum member has an item for sale on ebay, is it ok to post that?

If there is an item of interest on ebay, is it ok to post that in other sections?

Yes, it's okay for a Froum member to drive traffic to his Ebay sale, as long as he pays the Forum 2.5% if the the item is bought as a result of posting it here.

Yes, if there's an item of interest on Ebay, it's fine to post it in other sections of the Forum. This section, however, is reserved for Forum members posting their own stuff for sale.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
 System Administrator

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2005 6:00 pm    

Farris, please refrain from posting off topic comments. They dilute the subject matter and detract from the value of the Forum.