The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did you ever use the OHAU teaching materials?
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 1999 4:35 pm    

In the 40,s Oahu had tons of sheet music and courses available. I am wondering how many Steel players still around that got their taste of playing this way?And did it really help you? Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works 1-800-749-3363

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 1999 5:30 pm    

Hi Ed. Yes, I used the Oahu Method when my older brother was away at school. (I had to sneak into his room and try to play his Oahu Hawaiian 6 string acoustic guitar). It had a square neck, too.First song I remember fully learning how to play was "Santa Lucia". That was the system I started on and have never regretted those days. Now, these days, I'm still trying to learn. See you soon?

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 7 Nov 1999 6:11 pm    

Ed,
I started out with the Oahu method when I took lessons at the Dunagan Studio of Music in Odessa, Texas. I started in 1951 and used the Oahu method for a couple of years until Al Petty started teaching for them. After he bought out the school about a year later, he started teaching me one-on-one and showing me more popular songs. I studied with him until about 1954, at which time he moved to California and I just continued on my own.
I think I've still got some of that old sheet music around here somewhere.

Bob

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 1999 11:43 am    

yes, when I was seven in Mishawaka, Ind. I still have the orig lessons and sheet music in my archives

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 1999 10:10 am    

Ed, that brings up old memories from the mid 1940's when I first started playing. I still have every piece of Oahu music I collected over the years and still collect every piece of Hawaiian Music I can find. Bill Chaviers. ICQ 36667112

------------------

Troy Cody

MEMPHIS, TN USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 1999 7:16 pm    

ED that what I started with like Bill and others I will keep up with it as long as I can keep on kicking . There are a couple pieces that I lost I would like to replace.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 6:28 pm    

I too, started with Oahu Music. "When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again" was my first such experience.
My wife just yesterday was searching thro'
www.tias.com/ and under music they had listed "Collection of Oahu Modern Note Method and E-Z Method sheet music for Electric and Hawaiian Guitars; all 1940's; 36 pieces, for $50.00. Titles included: Carnival of Veniceand Barnyard Polka to Frankie and Johnnie and Birmingham Jail. also so unnamed Hawaiian songs.

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 1999 5:44 am    

Hi Folks.
First ever post.
I still have Oahu lessons 1 Thru 72 plus a lot of sheet music they published for the steel Guitar.
I have never been exposed to anyone that plays steel, therefore I was tickled to run across this forum "Its Great"

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 28 Nov 1999 6:34 am    

Hill- if you will contact me I would like to buy your music collection to add to my lap steel display.Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works 1-800-749-3363.

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 1999 4:41 pm    

Sorry Ed, but if I sold them I would blow the money and not have either.
I will keep you in mind if I ever do.

Maurie Junod

Oak Forest, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 1999 11:51 am    

Well....Ed, I know I'm not the oldest to take the course, but I do go back to 1934 at age seven. It was 52 lessons for $50.00, and the guitar was thrown in on the deal.It was pick-strum-strum which was smart on the company's part because the students made their own rhythm as they played. However, my mother had a hard time getting me to practice sometimes because it didn't sound like what I was hearing on the radio.(mostly
Lani Macintire) The tuning was "A" with low base. From the sixth string E A E A C# E. To tune the guitar you played "TAPS" starting on the fourth string, and ending on 6 and 5. The lessons were in tabulature form. The first song was "NEARER MY GOD TO THEE". This was in Columbus, Ohio. One time they got 1500 of us out to Buckeye Lake where we all played in unison in the racetrack grandstand-pretty bad. Later we relocated to Monrovia, California. My mother resumed my lessons with Forrest Skaggs who later operated a store, and hawaiian studio in San Diego for many years. Skaggs taught me the technique which I still use today. He played what I call modern hawaiian style. He had a great touch for the instrument. His course was in traditional notation instead of tabulature. E7 was the main tuning along with C# minor. I took to it right away because it sounded just like the radio stars. In 1936 my mother bought me a new EH100 series Gibson electric, under great financial sacrifice at that time. It cost $110.00 w/amp. I still play it today tuned to the Leavitt tuning. Boy am I getting carried away or what?
I'm out of here........Maurie

------------------
www.megsinet.net/~junod
junod@megsinet.net

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 2:38 pm    

Hey Maurie! Thanx for the trip down memory lane! I now recall how they taught us to use "Taps" as the tuning basic.
When I first started during mid-40's, we played flat-top, round-hole guitars with a gigantic FLAT bar. THere would always be at least one student per night that would manage to drop his/her bar inside the guitar. This of course was followed by a lot of loud banging noises as they inverted the unit and shook it profusely in an attempt to get the bar out of the interior. GADD!
Such fun......and only fading memories for some of us today.

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 2:54 pm    

I am pleased to know some of the people in steel got their start with the " Oahu" materials. My first guitar was a " Gene Autry" guitar that I sold 12 boxes of Rose Bud salve and paid $4 for it . And I still have it hanging on the wall in my store. Ray- Do you still have the Bigsby that was used on the " Slowly" recording? Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works 1-800-749-3363

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 12:36 am    

Hi Ed! I have only the 4-neck, 32 string Bigsby steel w/six pedals. The Bud Issacs guitar was owned by the fellow that purchased all of the Bigsby parts from Gibson Guitar Co., some years back. I under-stand he has used up most/all of said parts in the construction of look-alike Bigsby steels. Centerstrm@aol.com should have more details on that specific guitar.

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 5:59 am    

Ray- Possibly a "Dumd" question, but was the "Slowly" guitar a single neck or a double??? And when was it built?Ed Naylor SGW

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2000 7:20 pm    

Ed Naylor.....I believe Bud Issacs used his double neck Bigsby on SLOWLY but I'm from way out here on the Left Coast and have no real inside knowledge about subjects like this. All the photo's I have of Bud show him ensconsed behind a dbl. I got mine in 1956 so its quite likely his was a at least a 1953 or earlier. Just a guess and thanks for feeling I might know.