The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Performance Steel Guitars
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 10:48 am    

This just in. The New Performance Steel Guitars which were introduced for the first time in St. Louis this weekend are now available here at Harrison Music. Both, D-10 and SD-10 models are available, and come with 8 & 5 and 3 & 5 respectively.

The changer and mechanics on this guitar are very unique, and one of the best I've ever seen. Definately the easiest guitar to make lever and pedal changes to that I've ever had the pleasure to work on! One of the best examples of where "innovation" beats "imitation" every time.

For prices and/or more detail on this all new pedal steel guitar, call 989-539-4715, or send email.

All credit cards accepted, and available for immediate delivery.

[This message was edited by Danny Hullihen on 07 September 2004 at 11:49 AM.]

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 11:14 am    

Who builds these?

Joe

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 11:57 am    

Jerry Brightman

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 9:07 pm    

Yes Kevin, that is correct. Jerry Brightman owns the company and builds this guitar.

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 7:36 am    

For more information about this new guitar, including a narrative by Lloyd Green, click on the link below.
http://www.steelguitaramericas.com/Home_page.htm

Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 1:06 pm    

It is my understanding that my friend Mr. Ray Walker of the Walker Seat Company is making the bodies and the cases for the Performance Steel guitars according to what Ray told me this morning. Anyone who knows Ray Walker will testify that Ray is a perfectionist and a master cabinet builder. I can't wait to see the cabinet that Ray builds for himself for his Performance steel. I may just have to send the other steels that I own down the road and replace them with Performance guitars. Ray Walker is one of the few people that I know who is perfectionistic enough to please me. In fact he is in the process of building me a one of a kind Walker Seat with double sidecars and many other extras. Ray is one fine guy! Ray, keep up the fine work!

[This message was edited by Vann Cranford on 08 September 2004 at 02:09 PM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 7:13 pm    

You are correct regarding Ray Walker. He is indeed a craftsman in every sense of the word, and very meticulous about everything that he builds. I have yet to see anything better anywhere, or in fact, even equal for that matter when it comes to cabinetry. Tolerances are kept to the fraction, and he compromises on nothing. He is indeed a credit to the industry, and to his craft.

Regarding the Performance steel guitar, I played this guitar myself for the very first time on my show in St. Louis this past weekend, and although I was a bit worried about playing a guitar I've never played before on a live show, (as most would be)this guitar fit me like a glove from the moment I sat behind it. Although there are many unique features about this guitar worthy of mentioning, the greatest feature was without question, the "tone," and I was inded very pleased to hear the many compliments I received about that from the attendees there, including Weldon Myrick and Sara Jory.

Although I have only played the Performance Steel Guitar for just a few days now, I can say without reservation that the Perfomance Steel Guitar is among the very best there is available anywhere. A close examination of the mechanics of this guitar will show that a lot of careful research in original design and planning has gone into this guitar. In my opinion, it appears to me that the only thing they left out of this guitar was all the what NOT to do's.

In the very short time that I have been playing the Performance steel guitar, I could already just about write a book about it! However, the best way to learn about this guitar is to hear it for yourself, and I sincerely believe that once you do, your opinions will echo mine.

The photo below was sent to me by one of the attendees at the St. Louis show. If you have any further questions about this guitar, feel free to email or call me and I will be more than happy to go into detail on it. Keep your eyes focused guys, as I think you're going to be seeing a lot of players on this guitar in the very near future.

I can't explain the date on the photo? but this photo was taken in the Peavey room at the St. Louis Steel Guitar Convention on 09/04/04.

[This message was edited by Danny Hullihen on 08 September 2004 at 08:27 PM.]

Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 4:06 am    

Hey Danny,
I was talking last night to my friend, Skip Mertz, and we were talking about the new Performance guitar. I pondered the question as to why Jerry Brightman and "the other powers to be behind the company" don't set up an authorized dealership with Rick McDuffie at Tarheel Music in Smithfield and Garner, NC? Rick is one nice guy, plays steel, and caters to promoting the steel guitar and its players. It makes good sense to me to have a dealer in NC that is only a few miles away from Ray Walker, the man who is building the cabinets and cases.
Since Clyde Mattocks stopped building the Cherokee push-pull guitar a few years ago, and since the Marlen guitar is no longer made since Leonard Stadler died, that leaves Emmons as a NC based company. I realize that Performance guitars are based out of Ohio, but we steel players in Eastern NC need a dealer like Rick McDuffie to help push the Performance guitars. That way, the steel players around the corner from Ray Walker would not have to drive all the way to Virginia to try out the Performance guitar. Hey, it is just a thought! Take care! Vann

[This message was edited by Vann Cranford on 09 September 2004 at 05:07 AM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 6:26 am    

Hi Vann.

Thanks for your thoughts on this concerning dealerships for the new Performance steel guitars. Although I do have extensive knowledge about the guitars, I really don't have anything to do with dealerships for the company. This is something that you would have to take up with Jerry Brightman, as he owns the company exclusively. Although Jerry already has a dealer network established, I imagine that he might consider others, such as Tarheel music. Rick is one of my dealers for Jagwire Strings, and I agree he would be a good candidate for the Performance guitar, but here again, this is something that would have to be taken up with Jerry Brightman. I believe there is a current list of Performance guitar dealers on his web site.

[This message was edited by Danny Hullihen on 09 September 2004 at 07:32 AM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 6:34 am    

Here's a link to the list of authorized dealers for the new Performance Steel Guitars. http://www.steelguitaramericas.com/Dealers.htm

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 8:50 am    

Both the D-10 and SD-10 have been sold. Still taking orders. Very short waiting time on these guitars.

Thanks

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 9:00 am    

Wait a minute! Vann said he's getting double sidecars? I had those LONG before I ever got a seat from Ray

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 10 September 2004 at 07:05 PM.]

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2004 7:11 pm    

Thanks, Vann. Jerry B. and I have become friends, and I actually had the privilege aiding him (in a small way) with the development of this guitar; however, the timing is not right for me to get involved as a dealer, due to the new direction our business has taken since last Spring. Hopefully I CAN do it in the near future.

Danny Hullihen is a class act, and I wish him great success. I understand these are wonderful guitars, and I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 13 September 2004 at 06:07 AM.]

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2004 3:27 pm    

Good lookin steel Jerry. Hope to c ya & check it out in Dallas In March 05.

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2004 4:44 am    

I have the new Performance Steel Guitars here in stock now, and ready for immediate delivery.

I believe the Performance steels will be at the Dallas show, so be sure to stop over and see Jerry and take one for a test ride. Smile

Jim Thompson

Washington, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2004 8:54 pm    

They will also be on display at our show here in PA next April. Jerry is also playing on the show, as well as Danny and his partners, Mike Kyle and Del Shorts. Check the line up in the Events and Announcements section under tri State Steel Show.

------------------
Zum U-12 8&6
John Hughey's biggest fan

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2004 2:10 pm    

Another Emmons clone

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2004 7:52 pm    

B.Jenkins,
This sure does NOT sound like an Emmons clone to me .....

Definately the easiest guitar to make lever and pedal changes to that I've ever had the pleasure to work on! One of the best examples of where "innovation" beats "imitation" every time.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2004 6:27 pm    

what in the world this instrument has to do with Emmons?...

Db

------------------

"Promat"
~when tone matters~

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 09 December 2004 at 06:27 PM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2004 9:45 pm    

Other than simularity in tone, absolutely nothing.

Gabriel Aaron Wynne

Johnson Valley, CA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2004 10:14 am    

simularity??? Hum.

------------------
aaron

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2004 10:34 am    

Correction: "Similarity" Smile

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2005 11:53 am    

New Performance steels are in stock and ready for immediate delivery.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2005 5:34 pm    

Hi Danny - Are there any thoughts about building a Universal 12??

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - 1975 Session 400 - Nashville 1000

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2005 2:50 pm    

bump

[This message was edited by jim milewski on 07 January 2005 at 02:45 PM.]