The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do I sell item on Ebay?
Brandon Roper

Carrollton, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 10:01 pm    

When selling an item on Ebay how do they "charge" you for your listing and how much do they charge? I've never sold anything on Ebay before, only purchased.
Thanks

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 11:11 pm    

eBay has exhaustive tutorials and FAQs explaining everything. You'll do better perusing it at your leisure than looking for a comprehensive answer here. But for a thumbnail view: if you're going to sell, you'll have to give them a credit card, etc. that they charge if you have a balance (they charge you to list and a fee if your item sells) on your eBay account. Both fee calculations (starting or minimum/reserve price and the final selling price) vary with the amount of money involved on a given item.

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2004 4:53 am    

Well said Ben.That's the simplest I've ever heard it explained.
Have a Great Day

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
MCI D-10 , Peavey Sessions 500 & 400 Limited ,Nashville 400 http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

[This message was edited by Daniel J. Cormier on 03 November 2004 at 04:54 AM.]

Mark Butcher

Scotland
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2004 10:59 am    

If your registered for Paypal, which is the only safe way to buy on Ebay, then I think you can pay their fees using Paypal too. Ebay is a great sellers tool, people are too trusting and often pay too much for junk. So sell don't buy!

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 2:58 am    

WOW---sounds like Mark had a few bad experiences on eBay maybe?? I've bought and sold on eBay very successfully since about 2000. I've had nothing but great transactions and picked up a few deals that were almost too good to be true. I guess it comes more from being knowledgable about your transactions and asking the right questions before you jump in. And, it's a world-wide marketplace that's becoming a resource for items one doesn't ordinarily encounter in their local areas.

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 4:01 am    

Gotta watch that shipping charge if your buying. i bid on a ,99C item just for the heck of it,and at the end shipping was totaled at 20.00 heck no!!!!

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 9:14 am    

I love Ebay. I've had great experiences selling and buying for a few years now. However, I have recently had some bad transactions due to 'new' buyers, who aren't serious and after winning do not send payment. I have stated on my auctions, that Zero or negative feedback bidders must Email me before bidding. I then ask the bidders that comply with this request, to submit to me their phone number, address and full name, so I can approve then and or call them. Sometimes people bid anyway and screw the auction up. Ebay charges me 5.25% of the what they believe I sold it for, and I have to file a "non payment credit" requst to get my fees back. This takes weeks to go through.
Sometimes the winners pay and sometimes they don't. I'm going through that with two "winners" as we speak. One is for a Gibson $625. and the other for a Squire Stat $125. You have to stay on top of Ebay if you want to get those fees for non payment credited back to you. Ebay does not remind you to do so. They hope you forget about those fees, and if you don't complete the requests for credit on time, you loose the money.
Shipping can be an issue as well. I recently won an auction for a 1965 Epiphone Cabalero acoustic. (same as a Gibson LGO) I won the auction for around $160. , but the seller demanded I pay for USPS Priority shipping of $73. even though there was no mention of Priority as the only rate she would ship in the text of the auction. I protested, but she would not budge. I gave in and paid that rediculus fee because I thought I had done so well on the guitar price. She then shipped it UPS with no priority, and the guitar was in bad shape besides. It got ugly and I requested she refund me the $35.00 difference. She would not, claiming it cost her $75. to PAY for a proffesional to pack and ship it.
I'm ranting a bit, but the point being you need to explain all the particulars in the terms of your auction to avoid collisions and bad feedback comments. You can look up my feedback and you will see what I've been through. My user name on Ebay is lonster1

Mark Butcher

Scotland
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 11:12 am    

Yes I've had some good and bad on Ebay for years. Here in the UK things sell for crazy prices but there is fraud and its becoming more common as more people use it. Things not as described, none payment and plain take the money and run. I still search it every night mind you!

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro 1
Many stringed things.
www.marksmandolins.com

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 1:25 pm    

Loni, i agree about the shipping charges issue
it's often a way for the seller to make xtra $$$
that's the part i often have a hard time with
otherwise you gotta keep your eye on the donut when sellin' or buyin' on ebay
i've been lucky so no big complaints on my end
btw: i've got this pet peeve which consists of identifying Fo'Bro's on ebay

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 2:08 pm    

Hey CrowBear----what's that pet peeve? Seveal times I've been watching something only to have someone I know to be a Fo'Bro' bid also so I then back off---I'd not want to inflate a price just to beat someone--especially someone from here!

Ebay is not a bad thing at all but like we're saying we have to ask questions just to make sure we know what we're trying to buy. I've also discovered MOSTLY that a prompt, courteous reply that attempts to answer you specifically suggests you might be dealing with a straight up person. There's always going to be a few crooks but so far I've done quite okay!

Loni's got the right idea too--if they bid and are already suspect get a HOME phone number and talk with them a bit---I've learned that too can be a good way to get a feel for someone. A flakey person can't hide it all that long on a phone call anyway!

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 8:32 pm    

I have been buying and selling on eBay for several years now - mostly pro audio - and 95% of the folks have truly been a delight to deal with. There have been a handful that try to screw it up for reasons of greed, incompetence, whatever but in the balance it has definitely been a positive experience.
However, when it comes to the PSG be REALLY careful what you bid on. Pictures can't give one any idea of playing quality or even the quality of machine work, etc. -- don't even think about something no matter how cheap unless you are completely satisfied that it is a quality product from a manufacturer that you are fully familiar with.
Some of you may be familiar with the infamous "RED PEDAL STEEL 3+4" of recent history. If not, check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=621&item=3758095507&rd=1 and you'll get a good lesson on what you can end up with. As it has been said before, make contact and suss out the seller before you commit, you'll either be glad you made a new friend or glad you dodged a sloppy bullet!
Good luck --
Dave

------------------
Sound Man to the Stars
Pedal Steel Picker with what's left . . .
www.pdxaudio.com/dg.html

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2004 12:41 am    

JW, i know what you mean
perhaps pet peeve is'nt the right term.
it's just something i like to do
it's reassuring to find a Fo'Bro' rather than someone i don't know.
i will admit that if i want an article bad enough, i won't necessarily back down if it's Fo'Bro' even if i have at one time or another
just the otherday, a beautifull Mullen D10 sold for less than 2000$
i stopped at 1900$ and it went to "genie16" for 1926$ !
i asked genie16 if he was a Fo'Bro' - no reply to that

otherwise i agree w: others here - get the sellers fone # & get as much info as possible
if the seller is'nt willing to give his fone # -
Move on to something else
as for the shipping issue - i find it rather unfair when a seller won't help the buyer in getting the carrier of his choice
heck, the buyer's paying for it !!!