The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  F/S: 2 Custom Practice Boards
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 11:41 pm    

Recently,Ive cleaned out my shop a bit and came up with enough n.o.s. factory parts to build several custom 10 string lap-style instruments. Since I continue to get requests for these from time to time here are 2 more,newly completed:

The first one is cosmetically and structurally a p/p style board featuring gloss black mica over 1" northern hard rock maple body,24-1/4"scale,overall dimensions are: 34"x5-1/2"x1",features a jeweled keyhead casting(as opposed to polished)with slotted fixed nut and orig butterfly Kluson gears,satin black finished wood neck insert w/fretboard,jeweled finish factory tailpiece/pickup/changer mount w/orig bolt on changer,22k Emmons single coil p/u. Excellent tone,sustain and playability.
no case,..........$800.00+shipping.

Instrument number two is a 'Bud-Professional style with brown figured maple mica over 1" northern hard rock maple body,24" scale,
overall dimensions are: 34"x5-1/2"x1",
'Bud keyhead with slotted fixed nut and brand new,very smooth Euro style gears,
original'Bud maple neck insert(rope inlay)in excellent condition w/brown-clear finish,orig dual-coil p/u mounted in orig Professional tailpiece,with typical axle and changer fingers.
Nice deep tone and plenty of sustain.
no case,.........$800.00+shipping.

Both instruments feature an attractive black vinyl non-skid tread which is firmly adhered to the back of the body,thus eliminating the possibility of marring surfaces when guitar is set on a table,etc.
To retain the feel and look of a pedal guitar,the strings hook on at the changer end as typical for each model;
#1 has pins in the fingers, #2 has the slotted fingers.
I take my time to insure that these instruments retain the feel of the top of a pedal guitar which makes practice away from your main axe considerably easier and requires much less re-adjustment time.
Pictures are forthcoming,probably tonight, or as soon as I can lure Cal Sharp over here with his digi-cam
Thanx for your time and email me w/any questions or requests.
sincerely,
MC

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 26 October 2004 at 02:52 PM.]

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 8:13 am    

A practice board is a great item to have. Easy to use anywhere, anytime...like when the wifey wants to go outa town for the weekend...you can bring it along and gets some chops in while she shops!

They're built with the same level of quality workmanship Mike puts into any instrument he works on/builds.

Dave

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 4:11 pm    

thanx Dave, they are handy for sure
Here's a link to the pics, courtesy of
Cal Sharp.
www.calsharp.com/music/Cass/index.html

thanx,MC

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 8:09 pm    

I saw these boards yesterday. They are truly quality instruments.Mike does great work.
BB

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 2:38 pm    

Mike made me a 12 string practice board several years ago. I use it often, especially when I am watching TV as I lay it across the arms of my recliner and practice scales and licks. A lazy way to practice but it works....

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2004 7:58 am    

Thanx Bruce! I had a great time hanging out with you,and pickin the other day. Lets not make it so long before the next time

LOL!! Len,you sound like me,but I use the couch,and I prop up the right end of the horn with my left foot over my right knee; a little trick I learned from Buddy Gene
Now if I could build in an ashtray, beverage dispenser and a push button TV remote Id hardly ever have to leave the couch,which has been my plan as far back as I can remember. Those items will be offered as options as they become available

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2004 1:53 pm    

Big 'Ol BUMP!

BOBBY JACKS

Fort Madison, Iowa
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 4:46 pm    

Very Nice Looking Mike!!!!!!!!!