The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Angry about rising prices for vintage Steels?
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 10:25 am    

Perhaps we should be happy... from Elderly's last flyer:
GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD (1959)
EC except for play wear on back of neck, sunburst finish, very nice "medium flame" top, medium weight (9.2 lbs.), bound rosewood fretboard, trapezoid inlays, THIS GUITAR IS ALL ORIGINAL except for proper repro tuners and the original tuners are in the case, the bridge pickup is double black and reads 9.68, the neck pickup is zebra and reads 8.42, pots date 7th week of '59, this is a fine example of an instrument that was "used not abused", the consignor is the second owner (he bought it in 1962), a unique opportunity to own a great sounding historicaly important guitar, 1-11/16"nut, 24-1/2" scale, with OHSC, on consignment (SN:9 1242)
30U-12188.....on hold...$180,000.00 [Solid Body Electric Guitars] http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-12188.htm

Nothing for sale here, but I wish I had one of these... Ouch.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 2:18 pm    

Hi, Mark. What a joke; wonder if it's really "on hold"? steve

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 3:39 pm    

Mark, the good news is..... I don't see this on my "must have" list. Looks like I will still be playing my "Stella" for a while.

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 6:15 pm    

I love old instruments and have been into them since before the vintage market existed, but I'll play a cigarbox with strings before I'd pay today's ridiculous prices, and yes I said the same thing when I had the money...

Jim Marconi

Richmond IL. / Summerland Key Fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 6:24 pm    

Hi Mark..it is amazing what these guitars are bringing...I have a 1959 Les Paul with heavy flame..ser.# 9 1954 and I would not sell it for that price..Buffalo Bros. from of NY just reported in the last issue of Vintage guitar that they are hearing prices of around 300,000.00 for a heavy flamed 59 Les Paul.. This guitar is part of my retirement package..I HOPE
Kind Regards
Jim

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 9:32 pm    

Settle down boys. That Les Paul must be the only one in existance with a 24.5" scale length. OOOps

John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 11:52 pm    

Jim Marconi,
I am happy with the Les Paul price ($300) and also I will want you to not worry with the shipment I have arrange with a company that will be coming to your location for the pick up so I will be sending you the amount of $600 so it can cover your price and the shippment.
so let me know if this is ok with you .
thanks,
John Rickard
Republic of Botswana

[This message was edited by John Rickard on 19 October 2004 at 12:52 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 12:03 am    

i got a 59 honey burst LP in a pawn shop for 350 $ back in 67
gone but not forgotten

Tom Leigh

Kirkwood, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 12:26 pm    

Mr. Rickard:
Hilarious. I wish I had thought to say it.
Tom

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 4:30 pm    

If they sell it to a Forum member, they'll owe me $4500!!

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 5:28 pm    

20 years ago, a lloyd loar signed gibson F5 mandolin was in the $8-10,00 range. today, it's up to $130-150,000.
it's a good thing for us that there are so many people making really great instruments these days. we can let collectors hoard vintage instruments, and play newer ones that are at least as good.
i just traded my incrediblly beat-up '47 gibson sj for a brand new lebeda dobro and a mint '91 gibson j45. you know what? the newer j45 sounds better than the '47.
john

Jim Marconi

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 6:44 pm    

Hi John...I totally agree with you..I have been collecting for 30 years and now what do I have.... a bunch of instruments that I am affraid of playing because of thier value..
Well guess what I am tired of this and I am playing them now and it is amazing how good the new ones sound next to them..
I swear I keep on telling myself it is time to sell them..At the St Louis Steel Show I visited with Vince Gill and he is a collector also and I asked him that I am thinking of selling some of my collection and I think he might call me and if he does I will entertain selling some...
Kind Regards
Jim

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 7:29 pm    

Yes, but if you sell them now isn't that like cashing in your retirement CDs early. Those old guitars sure seem like money in the bank. They've gotten so high that even if the market crashes you still will have made probably better than 10% APR over the life of your investment. Not too many investments can beat that. And you can't get paid for playin a treasury bill...

Jim Marconi

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 2:13 pm    

Hi Paul...Thank You for the advice you are right...now I will enjoy them for another 10 years for sure....
Kind Regards
Jim

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 3:12 pm    

I believe that the big-name manufacturers woke up a few years ago and finally 'identified the market'!

I've lusted after those great instruments (NOT Les Pauls in my case) and I've even had a few. I sold my '58 Gibson Super 400 (I bought this new in London in 1960) for $14,500 a couple of years ago, and, since then, bought a repro "'62" Strat ($625), a Martin Custom Shop 000-28 ($2400 instead of $9000, and made to look exactly like a '50s one with the advantage of an adjustable truss-rod), and a new Gretsch 6120. There are others, but I'm entirely satisfied that these reproductions are just as good as the old ones. In the case of the Gretsch, it's better!

Never again will I pay a premium price just to get an old serial number.

RR

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 20 October 2004 at 08:02 PM.]