The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone know about Buddy Charlton's Tunings???
DWolf

Post  Posted 11 Nov 1999 10:03 pm    

Hi again steelers..
If anyone can tell me about what tunings may have been used on the Live 1965 album ( ET + The Troubadours )by Buddy Charlton, I would really love to be able to play in the same...he plays some beautiful, simple stuff, but I'm a very new player and can't pick one tuning from the next when I hear it yet! Any info on Buddy C or Noel Boggs tunings would be greatly appreciated!

Charlie Fullerton

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 1999 6:50 pm    

Hi: Not sure about Noel Boggs, But Buddy Charlton played a D-10 with the usual compliment of pedals & knee levers -- E9th & C6th. The only thing that sticks in my mind is that he lowered the 2d string (E9th) to C# with the "A" pedal which also raised the 5th & 10th to C#.

DWolf

Post  Posted 18 Nov 1999 12:27 pm    

GULP!
I'm not ready for any pedals yet, guys! Just old-fashioned western swing and honky-tonk for this no-peddler. Is there any non-pedal info about BC's playing? Can I get those beautiful, crisp high notes from another 8-string tuning? I was thinking ( being a very new player ) that those might come from a C tuning- one I have not used yet as I am still working on e13 and Herb R's Amaj6 ( F# A C# E F# A C# E)Any help is always appreciated!!
Thanks again steelers!!!

Charlie Fullerton

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Nov 1999 6:42 am    

Hi again:
Having played both "pedals" and non-pedals, I can sympathise with your situation. Depending on what version of E-13th you're working on -- that might be as close as you can get without pedals. BC used alot of pedals, especially on the his slower stuff. It won't be quite the same sound but you can get alot of his stuff on a E6th -- he used a lot of "6th" intervals which he got by dropping off a pedal and going up a couple of frets: reaching up for another string will not give you exactly the same effect but it is worth a try. For this, I use an E6th:
E-C#-B-G#-E-C#-B-E (E6th)
My first variation to this was to put a light string on in the 8th position tuned a half-tone below the first -- this adds greatly to the flexibility. That neck is currently tuned:
E-C#-B-G#-F#-D-B-D#(high)-- not sure if I would recommend this set-up, yet!
It is a cross between Herb Remington's & Leon MacAuliff's E13th tunings -- the first six string are the same. (this is what they use for Steel Guitar Ragg)

[This message was edited by Charlie Fullerton on 11-22-99]