The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Reso Advice
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Nov 1999 4:12 pm    

I just received my Flinthill squareneck. I have been wanting a resoguitar for years and I am real pleased to finally have one. I have two questions:

Is the Quarterman cone upgrade a major improvement in tone and volume or is it more subtle? And is it something that I could do myself? (I am a hobbiest/luthier--not real skilled but more able than not). Does anyone have experience doing this? Bottom line is that I question investing the kind of $$ involved in sending this to Paul Beard for an upgrade. If I wanted to spend the bucks I would have gotten a better guitar. Which of course I may do down the road.

Second question involves the bar, the grip, and my hand. I have a Stevens bar and I find my hand cramping badly in a very short time. I believe that I have some arthritic tendencies and they are really coming out with this. Has anyone had this problem and found relief in a different bar? Also, can anyone direct me to a link with a photo that would show me a dobro player in the act so I could check out his grip on the bar? Maybe I could get relief from a better grip.

Thanks for any help.

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 1999 4:59 pm    

Hello Jon ,
Congratulations on the new guitar .
Regarding the bar , I remember reading somewhere here on the Forum , that a guy/girl got a slightly larger bar , and found this helped to remove some of the strain in their hand . I have a Stevens bar , and also a S-P ( Shubb-Pearce sp? ). This last one is a bit heavier , and bigger overall , and I find it much easier to play with . I'm not a fast player , so I dont mind the extra little weight , and it seems to sit on the strings a bit better too . Relaxing my grip on the bar worked for me too .

Hope this helps ,
Ingo.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 1999 5:33 pm    

Hello Jon:

I bought 2 Quarterman cones from Paul Beard
over the past several years and they are great. I do not know what is in the Flinthill model you have so it is not possible for me to make a comparison.
Paul has a video which features the set-up and adjustment procedural for the Dobro. He takes the guitar apart and puts it back together. It is not difficult to replace a cone but there are some things you had best be aware of beforehand. Such things are covered in the video.

If you email Paul he will no doubt advise you first hand. I find him very good to deal with.

The Quarterman cone incidently costs around $45.00.

Good Luck.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 1999 6:00 am    

I have a Flinthill Resonator guitar to which I had Paul Beard do his modifications which include a Quaterman cone, new bridges, bone nut and set-up. It's not exactly cheap - about $200 bucks with shipping - but I can say unequivicably that I found it well worth it. It made a tremendous, very obvious difference in the sound.

I was originally looking at high-end, boutique Dobros - like Sheerhorn and Paul's - but I now find I'm perfectly satisified with the Flinthill. About 60% of the sound of a resonator guitar is in the hardware IMHO. If I want a richer, more harmonically complex pallet of acoustic sound to paint with I play my Bear Creek hollowneck.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Nov 1999 6:01 am    

My experience is similar to Ingo's. I started with a Stevens bar and switched to a Shubb-Pearse #1, because it gave me a little more to grip. Even though I have relatively small hands, the larger dimensions of the bar let me relax my grip more, so I don't get that "tensed-up" feeling.

PJJ

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Nov 1999 2:27 pm    

The forum comes through again!

Thanks to everyone here and in email. My questions have been well addressed. The unanimous sense is that the Beard upgrade is a significant improvement and as to my doing it myself, well there is mixed opinion. I received an excellent warning as to the need for extreme care in the final positioning/alignment of the new cone/bridge unit. I believe my next move will be to get the video and acquaint myself with the workings of a resoguit.

As to the bar, Ingo & Peter--thanks. Makes sense to me. I believe that's what I'll try.

Now five years ago or fifty years ago, how many places would I have had to haunt, how long would I have had to wait to harvest all this info? Awesome. Thanks, b0b.

Rob L

Farimont Wv
Post  Posted 13 Nov 1999 2:27 am    

Can someone please tell me what this "beard cone" is and what it's supposed to do? I just ordered a PhatDog Reso. Like Jon I've wanted one for years, and just couldn't resist the price. He tells me I won't want to do anything to modify it, but, I want to keep my options open. Thanks Guys.

Robert Lackey

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 8:18 pm    

The "Beard" cone is actually a aftermarket cone made by John Quarterman. They are handmade by Quarterman out of a special alloy and (at least for spider bridge guitars) kick butt over any stock Dobro cone and especially any stamped trash can lids that come on Korean (real, Johnson, Regal, Flinthill, Samick, etc.) guitars.

Paul Beard is one of the top custom Reso makers out there and also runs Resophonic Outfitters, a reso parts supply house.

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 16 Nov 1999 6:47 am    

re - - steels

I bought a Scheerhorn steel.
I find it easier to hold than my Shubb

large radius allows me to rock the steel for more tonal texture.

I used to get cramped (when I started playing a few months ago) but regular practice eases my old hands.

When you do find a steel that works - buy two - just in case :-)

Good luck

Bill