The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Re: C6 sound on E9 neck
Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 6:17 pm    

Can I get some help on this topic so I can find my I, IV, V cords pedals up & down?
Thanks guys.............gary

Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 12:20 am    

Gary-

I'm working on the same stuff myself. A few things to think about, and I figured it out the hard way rather than thinknig about the theory on the 6th neck. So, somebody check my work, I might be wrong spelling these chords.

C6 strummed open without the fattest string is a huge Fmaj9, right? (F A C E G A C E G, yes I'm a communist G-tuner) So, that's the IVmaj9 right there. By that rationale, if you want to substitute for an E6 chord on your front neck, go to the fret where you'd normally play a 4 chord (A, or 5th fret), lower your E's to get an Amaj7, and you've got the equivalent of an E6 chord straight across the fretboard (lower strgs 2&9 for maj9 chord)

Use your I, IV, V relationship accordingly, a B6 is open or 12th fret with E's lowered, and an A6 is at the 10th fret, same grip and lever.

Ok so using that, say you're in the gear of G on the E9th neck and want to play some I6, IV6 and V6 chords. Every string but string 9 (b7 or f note on 3rd fret) with the A pedal down gives you a Gmaj9 add6 (or add13, depending on how you feel), so there's your I (G6) chord. IV chord (C6) is A&B pedals on strings 10 + 8 thru 4, same fret. V (D6) chord is same fret, with your E's lowered with that same lever.

Hope this helps, and please y'all out there don't criticize me too much, I'm still learning this stuff as I go.

-MG

[This message was edited by Michael Garnett on 08 November 2005 at 12:24 AM.]

Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 11:19 pm    

Thanks Michael this is a lot of help, I can use all the help I can get on this thread
Thanks again............gary