The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RKL lever licks?
Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 5:46 am    

Hi gentlemen!

I'm a beginner at pedal steel, and I just got my first pedal steel with rkl lever that works right (lower E's 1/2 step).. I need some ideas on what licks and chords I can get using this lever together with my A,B & C pedals..

All help is very welcome!

Frode

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 12:52 pm    

Frode,
With this question you will either get no reply, or be flooded with replies.
The point is to first have a good understanding of how the three floor pedals are used to get around chord changes and melody lines. This lowering lever is, in my humble opinion, one of the 'bread and butter' levers on a steel. Without this lever on my guitar I might as well stop playing. I would suggest you look for training material by Jeff Newman, Buddy Emmons, and others. This is a huge question to have to answer on the forum.

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied

My CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"

Click here to E-mail us.

Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 1:21 pm    

Yes I know.. Maybe I told the question in a stupid way. I know how to use it for minors, and 7's (with B pedal) and some ways to play major scales including it. I was more thinking of if some of you have some easy standard licks or chords changes using it (with ABC) since I done most of my playing and licks only using ABC and lowering D# RKR.. I have a decent understanding of what's happening when using pedals and levers, but I have allways enjoyed these topics here on this forum where people share their standard ABC licks, and was kinda hoping for the same with this one!
Like these : http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/000020.html http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/002203.html

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2005 12:26 am    

Frode,
Now that makes more sense.
I'm sure you'll get some replies. In the meantime I'll tab some for you, as soon as time permits.
Regards,

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied

My CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"

Click here to E-mail us.

Richard E. Lee

Macedon, NY, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2005 4:39 am    

Frode,
I suggest you contact Paul Franklin web site. I just purchased a set of 3 instruction Cd's. On of those CD's, he teaches the exact use of those top 2 strings. It slowly explains in detail the use of that inside right knee left. Its money well spent.and very simple to use. The Cd will explain everything. Good luck with it. ITs. "paul-franklin.com" search. and order..or call directly..615-865-4754

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2005 9:35 am    

Hi Frode,

here's a little lick first with the A+B pedals, then with the A+C pedals to decorate a V chord leading back to 1. Ive put it in C major, so you start on G at the 10th fret with pedals down (G6 with C pedal down) then walk down until you arrive at C at the Third fret with A+B pedals down.

1|-----------------------|----------------| |-----------------------|-----------------|
2|-----------------------|----------------| |-----------------------|-----------------|
3|-10B-9B-8B---8--7--6---|-3B-------------| |-10B-9B-8B---8--7--6---|-3B--------------|
4|-10--9--8k---8k-7k-6---|-3--------------| |-10C-9C-8C---8k-7k-6---|-3---------------|
5|-10A-9A-8A---8--7--6---|-3A-------------| |-10C-9C-8C---8--7--6---|-3A--------------|
6|-----------------------|----------------| |-----------------------|-----------------|
7|-----------------------|----------------| |-----------------------|-----------------|
8|-----------------------|----------------| |-----------------------|-----------------|
9|-----------------------|----------------| |-----------------------|-----------------|
10|----------------------|----------------| |-----------------------|-----------------|

Hope that helps get you started!

Dan

------------------
Dan Beller-McKenna
Durham, NH
Dekley S-10, Telecaster, Guild D-35, Peavey Heritage VTX