The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buck Owens licks
Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Apr 1999 12:35 pm    

I want to know if anyone has some cool Ralph Mooney with Buck Owens licks. I'm especially interested in the turnaround and solo to Above and Beyond.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 18 Apr 1999 7:28 am    

Call Jeff Newman, he once had a series called "Moon Eared" in the NY steel guitar publication. Also contact Bob at the publication.

Larry Behm

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 1999 3:14 pm    

Mooney used a unique tuning and pedal setup, slightly altered from "conventional E9", and he would take his foot off the volume pedal and start pedalling w/ both feet! (I think b0b referred to it as his "happy dance" on the pedals )
Like most great players, Ralph can play with or w/o volume pedal...

Of course his contributions to the language of pedal steel have been incorporated into the "conventional E9" tuning, and his sound can be emulated without taking your foot off the volume pedal. (but how are you gonna work the wah-wah pedal, like Ralph does?)

Ralph is one of the most distinctive stylists EVER! You might be interested in back issues of Tom Bradshaw's 'Steel Guitarist' magazine from the late 70s or so. They include interviews w/ Moon and all his tuning info, in addition to a wealth of other interviews, articles, tab, advice, etc. Here's a link to Tom's site:
www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/index.html

3 Good Places to start (if you haven't got'em already):
1) You're For Me- Buck Owens album from ~63. This record cooks.
2) Waylon Live- This was done live in '76, with Mooney all over it!
3) just about anything by Wynn Stewart- In addition to Moon and the great Roy Nichols, you also get Moon w/ Clarence White on a couple of Wynn's albums! A real treasure of Bakersfield country music.

Have fun on the Moon.

In keeping with this thread, I suppose I could be coaxed into tabbing out my interpretation of "Above & Beyond", but hopefully you've begun to figure it for yourself. It's really a discipline to play like Moon.
I noticed that Paul Franklin at one time charged twice as much for his tab of "Above & Beyond" than any of his other song tabs. Wonder why?

Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 20 Apr 1999 5:36 pm    

You might want to get with Tom Bradshaw, he has a cd called "Moon at Midnite" for sale. I really like it and play along with it alot..rj

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Apr 1999 5:09 am    

Hey Scott -
Thanks a lot. I really love Mooney's playing and since I posted this thread I have learned a lot of his licks, "Above and Beyond" being one. I didn't know about his unique "happy dance" pedal technique. Did he use a Fender guitar as well as Fender amps on the early Buck stuff? I'm really getting into the Bakersfield steel sound and the Fender steel sound. Up till know I have really been strictly Nashville sound. I have that Waylon live album it is great. Thanks a lot for your help.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 22 Apr 1999 12:50 pm    

Paul Franklin does a nice job on that song in the Mooney style on the Rodney Crowell CD
Diamonds & Dirt, In fact the whole album is loaded with some very nice licks and solo's by Paul.
Don

[This message was edited by Don Sulesky on 04-22-99]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 1999 12:03 pm    

Does anyone have a copy of "Moonshine" they would like to share? Its been so long since I heard it, I don't even remember how it went.

------------------

kd...and the beat goes on...